Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 04:53 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I love how nobody is giving the Colts a chance... The same Colts who beat the snot out of the Broncos... Beat the Seahawks, 49ers and the Chiefs (twice)!
Cool story but none of those teams are the Pats.

The Colts have a good chance against them but the fact the defense allowed the Chiefs to score 44 points without Jamaal Charles is concerning. They will not be able to engineer such a great comeback against Brady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Also, as much as Broncos fans hate to admit it, Peyton has a shaky playoff history.
Yet another person who sees the number "9-11" and does not consider context.

Not that I expect you to, since you are clearly biased

Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
Man. Sometimes it's hard being an Ohio sports fan.

After a third try, as much as I've pulled for him, Dalton is not the Bengals' answer at QB.

It also makes me think about how good or bad he actually is. The Bengals are completely loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and Dalton can actually look that bad with those offensive weapons? I think if an elite quarterback like Manning, Brady, Rodgers or Brees had the talent that Dalton was working with, they would obliterate even the records that Manning recently set at Denver.... AND have a championship caliber defense.

It's frustrating.

I give the Chargers D props for getting after Dalton, but I think all three of Dalton's turnovers were completely his fault. For one, if you're going to run with the ball, tuck it up and cover. Also, if you're being rushed, don't throw it into double coverage. You're not going to have your weight behind the throw and you have to thread the needle to have a shot at a completion. The guy is the most inconsistent quarterback in football and plays entirely too much like Brett Favre without the talent, taking entirely too many chances.
Excellent post! I was watching ESPN this morning before work and they referred to Andy Dalton as a "Quarterback who can suck life out of his team." I thought that was the perfect description.

Now I have only seen a few Bengal games this year. But yesterday I could just see the defense giving up. Did you see that Charger player running in for a touchdown and the defender really slowed down in the end, like he was thinking, what is the point? We are going to lose this game anyway.

As thrilled as I was to see the "Chokers" win, I did feel bad for some of the Bengal players. I do think the Chargers did win, but Andy Dalton handed the game to them on a silver platter.

At work I was saying today "We got the Bad Andy" there is no "Bad Payton" so don't think next week will be anything like the game yesterday. To me the Chargers did look really good but was it because Andy Dalton was just really bad?

Sign me a San Diego Super Chargers Fan!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I realize you are a bitter Chiefs fan who has been wrong on many predictions for both the Chiefs and the Broncos, but now you are seeing only what you want to see. There are a lot of Broncos fans out there who are confident about the game (and weren't you confident about the Chiefs game?) but have also acknowledged the strong chance for the Chargers to come in and leave with the win. Smart Broncos fans (this forum is filled with them) are not writing off the Chargers. And while as Broncos fans we still expect our team to win, no outcome will be a surprise. A loss will be a disappointment, but not a surprise. No outcome will surprise me in these playoffs.
Excellent post! No outcome will surprise me either. The Chargers can be really good, and really bad. Not sure which team with show up on Sunday.

October of 2012, Chargers lead at halftime 24-0 and end up losing the game to the Broncos 35-24.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 AM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
I realize you are a bitter Chiefs fan who has been wrong on many predictions for both the Chiefs and the Broncos, but now you are seeing only what you want to see. There are a lot of Broncos fans out there who are confident about the game (and weren't you confident about the Chiefs game?) but have also acknowledged the strong chance for the Chargers to come in and leave with the win. Smart Broncos fans (this forum is filled with them) are not writing off the Chargers. And while as Broncos fans we still expect our team to win, no outcome will be a surprise. A loss will be a disappointment, but not a surprise. No outcome will surprise me in these playoffs.
This.

I'm accused of coming in here and sticking my chest out. Huh. Ive been posting in here since the day they started NFL team threads.

If you look carefully, you'll see my smack about the Broncos was a result of you bandwagon bozos coming in here parroting your Sports Center garbage; San Diego this, top seed that, Peyton can't win in the playoffs, look at what happened last year blah blah blah.

What are the Broncos supposed to do? Give up a few games so they can come in as the wild card?

How'd that work out for the Ravens and Chiefs?

Nobody knows what's going to happen next week. I expect a Bronco win.

If you disagree, you ought to put your money where your mouth is, go to Vegas, take the Bolts and the points.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,155 times
Quote:
Well after the Chiefs intercepted Luck on Indy's first posession of the second half and scored a touchdown to go up by 28 points their statistical probability of winning that game was 99.1% so I was surprised they found a way to screw that pooch. This loss was both surprising and disappointing for me.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 AM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
The Chiefs sort of know what Auburn feels like.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 AM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Yet another person who sees the number "9-11" and does not consider context.

Not that I expect you to, since you are clearly biased
And it is not bias to dismiss Peytons playoff failures?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
I love how the losses are always the fault of a single player. I'd agree that there probably are a handful of QBs in NFL history who have been slightly better in high pressure situations, but anyone who saw Manning put together the drive in the AFC Title Game in 2006/7 knows what he's capable of doing. The only time Peyton's forced turnovers is late in games when he's been trailing - that's far different from a guy like Tony Romo or Andy Dalton who blow a one or two score lead in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Brady's blown late drives, too, if I recall correctly.

Re: Andy Dalton, he did make some big mistakes, but he wasn't the only guy. There were some idiotic penalties and dropped passes that hurt as well. I think Marvin Lewis is basically a good strategist, but I have seen where he has allowed 'players to be players and men to be men' and it has come back to bite them in the butt at times.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Re Pats Colts. If it weren't for the Belichick and Brady factor, I'd probably take the Colts in a fairly substantial upset. But Belichick is a wizard and if you give him time to prepare for an opponent, he usually has the answers the Pats need. Brady usually delivers. Still, the absence of some key components and a reliance upon unknown quantities will be a major X factor, particularly on defense. Indy can stretch the field, so the Pats will need to really cover well. I like the Pats in a close contest: 28-24.

Re Broncs Chargers. This is the game that could be the weekend upset in the AFC. Not having Von Miller's going to have an impact regardless of what Denver says. If San Diego can run the ball effectively, Rivers is going to hit his spots. He's no longer a talented but inconsistent young gunslinger, he's quietly become one of the elite quarterbacks in the league. I think how they've played the last few weeks is more indicative of what kind of team they really are.

Still, having Wes Welker on the field is going to help. He can keep drives going, and he's an extra person the Chargers have to worry about. He wasn't there when they played a few weeks ago. I guess what it comes down to is which missing player is going to be more important: Wes Welker, who missed the last match-up, or Von Miller, who will be absent this weekend? San Diego doesn't really rack up lots of points; they win with ground and pound, similar to the way that Baltimore won last year. I'll reluctantly pick Denver to win a close one, knowing the Chargers could easily take this. I think Welker's the difference maker. I also expect Denver's good coaching staff to make adjustments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football