Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I don't think that is true because the one time they did blitz manning on 3rd and long they was able to hold them to a FG. So the fact that they didn't do it more is what I feel hurt their chances to win.
That's one play. Broncos opponents got burned all season long when they've tried to blitz. It drew a stop on that play, but sooner or later the Broncos would have cooked them on the blitz.

The only gripe I have about that game is the prevent the Broncos called in the 4th. That was absolute garbage. I will never understand why coaches go to the prevent. Hold them to 3 points all game long, but in the 4th, switch to something that doesn't work and allow 2 TDs. Hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 05:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That's one play. Broncos opponents got burned all season long when they've tried to blitz. It drew a stop on that play, but sooner or later the Broncos would have cooked them on the blitz.

The only gripe I have about that game is the prevent the Broncos called in the 4th. That was absolute garbage. I will never understand why coaches go to the prevent. Hold them to 3 points all game long, but in the 4th, switch to something that doesn't work and allow 2 TDs. Hmm...

I just feel that any QB should be blitzed on 3rd and 9 or more because it gets them off the field and gives your team the ball back. I will take my chances with making a QB hurry a throw instead of letting him sit back there and find the open man.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I just feel that any QB should be blitzed on 3rd and 9 or more because it gets them off the field and gives your team the ball back. I will take my chances with making a QB hurry a throw instead of letting him sit back there and find the open man.
Possibly. But a lot of teams have taken that approach with Manning over the years and he has diced them up.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Possibly. But a lot of teams have taken that approach with Manning over the years and he has diced them up.

But you have to make the effort to see if it will work instead of saying....."that's peyton manning and we can't blitz him"

Better to blitz him than someone like Kapernick since Manning has no threat of running away

Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
But you have to make the effort to see if it will work instead of saying....."that's peyton manning and we can't blitz him"

Better to blitz him than someone like Kapernick since Manning has no threat of running away
Yeah, I suppose so. The Chargers blitzed on 3rd and 17, after all...

Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Peyton never sits back there and finds the open man. That ball is out of his hands inside of two seconds.

The Colts and Bolts had some success earlier in the season late-hitting and cheap-shotting Peyton. I'm glad that the Patriots are not that team, nor were the KC Chiefs.

But in any case, hats off to the Broncos O-line for now huh?

Quote:
They may have won that game if they had blitzed on 3rd and 17.
They might have. Or, the Broncos might have just scorched them on 3rd and long and just put the game away that much sooner.

Quote:
The ball is not out of his hand in 2 seconds and that was definitely not the case against the chargers on 3rd and 17. That doesn't even give a receiver enough time to run 17 yds
Peyton doesn't always throw to the 1st down marker, relying on his rcvrs to get yards after the catch.

Face it, he's become next to impossible to sack.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-19-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 05:56 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose so. The Chargers blitzed on 3rd and 17, after all...

No the chargers did not blitz on 3rd and 17 which is why so many chargers fans was so frustrated. They may have won that game if they had blitzed on 3rd and 17.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
No the chargers did not blitz on 3rd and 17 which is why so many chargers fans was so frustrated. They may have won that game if they had blitzed on 3rd and 17.
You're right on this one. I just went back and looked at that play. They did get decent pressure, but didn't blitz. My point remains overall, though. Blitz Manning enough and he's going to burn you eventually.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
You're right on this one. I just went back and looked at that play. They did get decent pressure, but didn't blitz. My point remains overall, though. Blitz Manning enough and he's going to burn you eventually.

I think it can be effective if it's every other 3rd and long

Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Peyton never sits back there and finds the open man. That ball is out of his hands inside of two seconds.

The Colts and Bolts had some success earlier in the season late-hitting and cheap-shotting Peyton. I'm glad that the Patriots are not that team, nor were the KC Chiefs.

But in any case, hats off to the Broncos O-line for now huh?

They might have. Or, the Broncos might have just scorched them on 3rd and long and just put the game away that much sooner.

The ball is not out of his hand in 2 seconds and that was definitely not the case against the chargers on 3rd and 17. That doesn't even give a receiver enough time to run 17 yds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football