U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2014, 12:27 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
Reputation: 19654

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
People seem to forget that Seattle shut out one of the most potent offenses for three quarters. The Saints defense is a good defense, 4th in yards given up per game and offensively, second in passing yards per game. Seattle completely shut down the Saints for three quarters. While Seattle did give up two td in the 4th quarter the game was well in hand by that time.
While Seattle is rated 1st overall in defense, point allowed etc. San Francisco's offense is not up to par with Seattle, while both teams can run the ball about the same, the 49ers are 24th in total yards and 30th in passing, while Seattle better in almost all categories.

And remember one of the problems for San Francisco they will be playing in the stadium that hold the world's record for noise level. In the past that has been a major problem for the 49ers.

The game will be a low scoring fight to the finish with Seattle winning 17-14.
While I agree SEA is slightly better than SF, I don't know about giving all the credit to the SEA defense in their win against the Saints. The rain and wind might have something to do with the Saints missing their FGs and affecting their passing. The Saint were also running the ball down SEA's throat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,607,028 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
People seem to forget that Seattle shut out one of the most potent offenses for three quarters. The Saints defense is a good defense, 4th in yards given up per game and offensively, second in passing yards per game. Seattle completely shut down the Saints for three quarters.
That's true, but the Saints just didn't match up well against Seattle. I think anyone who has seen either of those teams more than once would get a sense of that, which is why I picked the Seahawks to win that game. I think the Saints hurt themselves with miscues and turnovers. The noise thing is overblown - it's a factor, but teams can overcome it if they prepare well enough. There have been plenty of teams that have had success in loud stadiums. Arizona did just a few weeks ago, and you can't tell me Seattle wasn't up for that game.

Quote:
While Seattle did give up two td in the 4th quarter the game was well in hand by that time.
While Seattle is rated 1st overall in defense, point allowed etc. San Francisco's offense is not up to par with Seattle, while both teams can run the ball about the same, the 49ers are 24th in total yards and 30th in passing, while Seattle better in almost all categories.
There's a danger in looking at year-long statistics, which often exaggerate team's strengths and weaknesses. Moreover, they don't take things like injuries into account, either. With Boldin, Crabtree, and Davis in the lineup together, the 49ers are undefeated. The Seahawks have a great defense, but the 49ers offensive line is arguably the best in the league. It also has a bruising runner in Frank Gore. The real weaponry, however, is in the passing game. Not just good receivers, but big, physical and yet very athletic receivers.

The Seahawks' offensive production, meanwhile, has really declined the last half of the season and the game against New Orleans wasn't really that reassuring, either. The stats in the beginning of the year or padded against weaker competition doesn't matter. Seattle hasn't played well on offense lately - well enough in most cases, but not well. Conversely, SF is a different team than the one that showed up in Week 2. They're a much tougher offense to control now. Defensively, they've got Aldon Smith and others who are playing as well as they have all year. The only weak spot or area of concern I saw was the secondary, particularly the corners, in the 1st half of yesterday's games. Aaron Rodgers also burned them a few times as well, so it could be that Russell Wilson's arm might get more action this time, though if they did that, I think they'd be getting away from their true strength, which is running the football and using great defense for field position.

I think the game will come down to turnovers. If SF turns the ball over and Seattle capitalizes, then what I just said above can probably be tossed out the window. I think if they take care of the rock, though, they'll gradually wear Seattle down and take over in the 4th quarter. And like you, I think that either Seattle or SF would be the favorite against NE or Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The only weak spot or area of concern I saw was the secondary, particularly the corners, in the 1st half of yesterday's games. Aaron Rodgers also burned them a few times as well, so it could be that Russell Wilson's arm might get more action this time, though if they did that, I think they'd be getting away from their true strength, which is running the football and using great defense for field position.
Carlos Rogers has been out with a bad hammy so they had to play Perrish Cox (resigned after being let go from the Seahawks after being let go from the Niners).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's Seattle's year. They are head and shoulders above the rest of the NFL. and have not just beaten, but embarrassed the other leading teams (e.g., Denver, SF, New Orleans).

And it's past time for destiny to wash away the taste of the atrocious officiating in Super Bowl XL:

NFL referee admits he made game-altering mistakes in 2006 Super Bowl - ESPN

SF goes down hard in the noise graveyard. Pats or Denver will be easy meat.

Seattle will go the way of a Percy Harvin mouth guard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
2,533 posts, read 3,953,464 times
Reputation: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's Seattle's year. They are head and shoulders above the rest of the NFL. and have not just beaten, but embarrassed the other leading teams (e.g., Denver, SF, New Orleans).

SF goes down hard in the noise graveyard. Pats or Denver will be easy meat.
The 40-10 preseason win over Denver means absolutely nothing... I think Manning played 1 quarter in that game. The win over SF in week 2 is worth slightly more only because it was regular season even if SF was missing playmakers. I'll give credit for the MNF win over NO... even though the matchup heavily favored SEA.

As far as being head and shoulders above the rest of the NFL... for the first 3/4 of the season I would definitely agree... a 11-1 stretch. They finished the season 2-2 and while the defense has looked great, the offense hasn't. How many picks did the D get vs NYG and AZ? 9? How many points did the offense score off those turnovers? 0. What was the 3rd down % the last 4 games? Around 20%... down from 40+%. What about the running game? Lynch broke 100 in the playoff win vs NO for the first time since the Atlanta game in week 9. Wilson is throwing for 140 a game... ranking at the bottom (31st) of the NFL.

The playoffs are all about who is playing the best football NOW and to me it's pretty easy to argue that Seattle looks the worst of the remaining 4 teams. At best I would put them in a tie for 3rd with Denver. NE just put up 43 without Brady throwing a TD... and SF has won 2 straight road playoff games and has how many consecutive victories? Denver's win over SD was about as impressive as SEA's win over NO... and weather played a part in that.

Anyone else agree?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
While I agree SEA is slightly better than SF, I don't know about giving all the credit to the SEA defense in their win against the Saints. The rain and wind might have something to do with the Saints missing their FGs and affecting their passing. The Saint were also running the ball down SEA's throat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
That's true, but the Saints just didn't match up well against Seattle. I think anyone who has seen either of those teams more than once would get a sense of that, which is why I picked the Seahawks to win that game. I think the Saints hurt themselves with miscues and turnovers. The noise thing is overblown - it's a factor, but teams can overcome it if they prepare well enough. There have been plenty of teams that have had success in loud stadiums. Arizona did just a few weeks ago, and you can't tell me Seattle wasn't up for that game.


There's a danger in looking at year-long statistics, which often exaggerate team's strengths and weaknesses. Moreover, they don't take things like injuries into account, either. With Boldin, Crabtree, and Davis in the lineup together, the 49ers are undefeated. The Seahawks have a great defense, but the 49ers offensive line is arguably the best in the league. It also has a bruising runner in Frank Gore. The real weaponry, however, is in the passing game. Not just good receivers, but big, physical and yet very athletic receivers.

The Seahawks' offensive production, meanwhile, has really declined the last half of the season and the game against New Orleans wasn't really that reassuring, either. The stats in the beginning of the year or padded against weaker competition doesn't matter. Seattle hasn't played well on offense lately - well enough in most cases, but not well.

Conversely, SF is a different team than the one that showed up in Week 2. They're a much tougher offense to control now. Defensively, they've got Aldon Smith and others who are playing as well as they have all year. The only weak spot or area of concern I saw was the secondary, particularly the corners, in the 1st half of yesterday's games. Aaron Rodgers also burned them a few times as well, so it could be that Russell Wilson's arm might get more action this time, though if they did that, I think they'd be getting away from their true strength, which is running the football and using great defense for field position.

I think the game will come down to turnovers. If SF turns the ball over and Seattle capitalizes, then what I just said above can probably be tossed out the window. I think if they take care of the rock, though, they'll gradually wear Seattle down and take over in the 4th quarter. And like you, I think that either Seattle or SF would be the favorite against NE or Denver.
I've bolded comments that I agree with... As far as the Super Bowl I think SF is favored over either team... if it's SEA I think they are the underdog... due to the previously mentioned offensive issues and the fact the game isn't at CenturyLink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
3,230 posts, read 1,599,002 times
Reputation: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
While I agree SEA is slightly better than SF, I don't know about giving all the credit to the SEA defense in their win against the Saints. The rain and wind might have something to do with the Saints missing their FGs and affecting their passing. The Saint were also running the ball down SEA's throat.
Eh! Seattle kick three field goals in the same wind and rain. The Saints might have been running the ball well for three quarter but they still didn't score.
The Saints were out of their environment by running the ball, they are a passing team and that didn't show up until the game was well in Seattle's hands. Seattle had enough points to win the game at half time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,607,028 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Eh! Seattle kick three field goals in the same wind and rain. The Saints might have been running the ball well for three quarter but they still didn't score.
The Saints were out of their environment by running the ball, they are a passing team and that didn't show up until the game was well in Seattle's hands. Seattle had enough points to win the game at half time.
But the Saints made some adjustments in the 2nd half; just like the Arizona Cardinals made adjustments in the 2nd half; just like the 49ers made adjustments in the 2nd half the last time they played. Seattle's been losing their edge in the last 15-20 minutes of games, and this is a trend that has reappeared throughout the last six weeks or so.

I think Percy Harvin is a necessity this weekend for Seattle. If he can pass the protocols - and I hope he can - then he could be the Seahawks' big answer, because that's one thing that SF has not seen from Seattle this year. SF's secondary is good, but the WRs for Seattle can get some space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Eh! Seattle kick three field goals in the same wind and rain. The Saints might have been running the ball well for three quarter but they still didn't score.
The Saints were out of their environment by running the ball, they are a passing team and that didn't show up until the game was well in Seattle's hands. Seattle had enough points to win the game at half time.

Yes, SEA kicked 3 FGs in the same rain, but only once against the wind while NO missed both against the wind.

"The Saints were out of their environment by running the ball, they are a passing team"
so does the rain/wind negatively affect a passing offense like NO's more than a power-running offense like SEA's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 11,156,765 times
Reputation: 6316
Brady Vs. Manning history. Stuff to know:

Manning vs. Brady: The Complete History - NFL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Reputation: 9451
I want the niners to win but I just have this feeling that the seahawks defense will be on and ready to go tomorrow and will probably shutdown the niners offense which will mean that once again the seattle offense won't have to do much.

niners 10
seahawks 17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top