U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,078,462 times
Reputation: 7456

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
He also helped kill the flats by pulling pretty much all police presence from the area and fining bars and restauraunts into bankruptcy he felt didn't employ enough minorities.

It's a shame that our terribly corrupt and incompetent polititians have failed to take advantage of the positives we do have in Cleveland. Cleveland needs to look to Chicago and copy what they have done with their lakefront. Hopefully the Medical Mart and casino development are the start of resurgance in Cleveland.

Given Chicago's political envrionment, and being known for it's corruption, are you sure that you want Cleveland to copy Chicago? I mean, we have certainly had our fair share of that as well in this region. No thanks to Chicago style politics.

I loved partying in The Flats back in the 90s! I was so mad when the city killed it! I remember it was in the winter of 2001 when the city sent it's goons in to the 3 main clubs on the east bank, The Basement, The Beach Club, and Heaven and Earth and shut them down at 1AM (which was PRIME TIME) due to code violations! I'm glad they're trying to redevelop it, but it won't be quite the same. At any rate I think the Medical Mart, and casino along with all of the other development going on downtown will certainly help. However; if you really want to attract businesses and middle class people back to the city, you have to fix the schools, and fix the inner-city neighborhoods. While downtown's population is growing it is a transient bunch of 20 to 30 somethings. Unfortunately the rest of the city continues to lose population.

On to the lake front. Get rid of Burke Lakefront Airport for cryin' out loud! That area would be prime real estate for development, with a mix of housing, restaurants and perhaps a beach, and boardwalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2013, 05:10 PM
 
16,527 posts, read 20,977,867 times
Reputation: 47975
I've been an NFL Films fan for eons. Everything they have done is first rate. They address this issue in the NFL-- A Football Life"Cleveland '95". There was an interesting tie-in with the entire coaching staff of the Browns that year, and where those coaches are at today. And they also show a fair amount of video saved through the local Cleveland TV stations interviewing the fans, the former players, the current players, and the average person on the street who wasn't really a sports fan one way or the other.

To me it was absolutely shocking. The Cleveland Browns franchise basically kept the AAFC going in the mid to late 40's. When Cleveland and San Francisco were joined in with the NFL the average thinking was they would not stand up to the best clubs in the NFL, or for that matter any of the clubs in the NFL. Well that theory got shot in the shorts where Cleveland dominated the league that year and won a couple more NFL championships on top of that years later.

BTW, the 4 years the AAFC was in the biz, Cleveland's record overall was 52-4-3. They won all 4 AAFC championships.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-08-2013 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 06:35 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,078,462 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I've been an NFL Films fan for eons. Everything they have done is first rate. They address this issue in the NFL-- A Football Life"Cleveland '95". There was an interesting tie-in with the entire coaching staff of the Browns that year, and where those coaches are at today. And they also show a fair amount of video saved through the local Cleveland TV stations interviewing the fans, the former players, the current players, and the average person on the street who wasn't really a sports fan one way or the other.

To me it was absolutely shocking. The Cleveland Browns franchise basically kept the AAFC going in the mid to late 40's. When Cleveland and San Francisco were joined in with the NFL the average thinking was they would not stand up to the best clubs in the NFL, or for that matter any of the clubs in the NFL. Well that theory got shot in the shorts where Cleveland dominated the league that year and won a couple more NFL championships on top of that years later.

BTW, the 4 years the AAFC was in the biz, Cleveland's record overall was 52-4-3. They all all 4 AAFC championships.

I watched that episode of A Football Life. It's amazing to hear where a lot of that staff ended up down the road. Some went on to spectacular careers. It's sad to think what could have been, because while Belichick was much maligned by the majority of the fans for releasing Bernie Kosar in the middle of the 1993 season, I believed in the man, and felt that he was building something here. Given his success in New England, I guess I was right. At any rate, Cleveland and it's fans were left holding the bag!

As for today. I believe in this current ownership, and front office. I can just feel that the vibe is much different than when Randy Lerner inherited the team after his dad passed away. The sad thing is, that the Browns prior to his death were heading in the right direction, and had Al still been alive today, I feel that the Cleveland Browns 2.0 wouldn't have struggled and made as many blunders as they have in the draft or free agency. We may not make it to the playoffs this year, but with this new regime, I can tell you I believe that the days of finishing 4-12, and 5-11 are over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 AM
 
1,561 posts, read 1,660,309 times
Reputation: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Given Chicago's political envrionment, and being known for it's corruption, are you sure that you want Cleveland to copy Chicago? I mean, we have certainly had our fair share of that as well in this region. No thanks to Chicago style politics.

I loved partying in The Flats back in the 90s! I was so mad when the city killed it! I remember it was in the winter of 2001 when the city sent it's goons in to the 3 main clubs on the east bank, The Basement, The Beach Club, and Heaven and Earth and shut them down at 1AM (which was PRIME TIME) due to code violations! I'm glad they're trying to redevelop it, but it won't be quite the same. At any rate I think the Medical Mart, and casino along with all of the other development going on downtown will certainly help. However; if you really want to attract businesses and middle class people back to the city, you have to fix the schools, and fix the inner-city neighborhoods. While downtown's population is growing it is a transient bunch of 20 to 30 somethings. Unfortunately the rest of the city continues to lose population.

On to the lake front. Get rid of Burke Lakefront Airport for cryin' out loud! That area would be prime real estate for development, with a mix of housing, restaurants and perhaps a beach, and boardwalk.

No thanks to the Chicago style government, we have enough issues on our own, thank you very much. No, what i was referring to is how Chicago has developed their lake front. So much to do and see. If Cleveland did something similar I'm sure it would be a boon to their economy, create jobs, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,078,462 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
No thanks to the Chicago style government, we have enough issues on our own, thank you very much. No, what i was referring to is how Chicago has developed their lake front. So much to do and see. If Cleveland did something similar I'm sure it would be a boon to their economy, create jobs, etc...

I agree with developing Cleveland's water front. Getting rid of Burke Lakefront Airport would be a start. How many planes land there per year? Like 3?

I think this new ownership is looking at ideas to help in developing the water front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,321 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Reputation: 33486
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I agree with developing Cleveland's water front. Getting rid of Burke Lakefront Airport would be a start. How many planes land there per year? Like 3?

I think this new ownership is looking at ideas to help in developing the water front.
this is all just water under the bridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 03:23 AM
 
768 posts, read 920,477 times
Reputation: 1087
Cleveland has always been and always will be a football town. Man, it's just sad to have a city getting their team taken from them, move, call it by another name, and that "new" team go on to win not 1 but 2 Super Bowls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,321 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Reputation: 33486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
Cleveland has always been and always will be a football town. Man, it's just sad to have a city getting their team taken from them, move, call it by another name, and that "new" team go on to win not 1 but 2 Super Bowls.
that's indeed ironic and they have a number of their old NFL championships too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,078,462 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that's indeed ironic and they have a number of their old NFL championships too

4 AAFC titles and 4 NFL titles. Unfortunately I've not seen any of them, as I was born in 73.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,322 posts, read 2,260,219 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
4 AAFC titles and 4 NFL titles. Unfortunately I've not seen any of them, as I was born in 73.
But no Super Bowl titles or appearances. This is why I think Browns fans today are miserable.`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top