Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,440 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about very good like McNabb. I'm talking about elite like Rogers , Brees, Brady, Manning. Is it because the black QB has always played a more physical style of QB which has served him well up to the college level, only to be marginalized in the NFL against defenders that all run as fast as he does? I had really really high hopes for RG 3 and Cam that they would get to the elite level and maintain it through longevity, but it doesnt seem to be working out that way? I even believed Skip Bayless when he said RG3 would be better than LUck over the long haul, now it doesnt appear that will happen! I considered Warren Moon to be elite, but that was when defenses werent as complex, and the game wasnt as fast. Is the NFL biased against black Qbs, for instance..does the NFL not want to give the black QB more opportunities knowing that their tendency to run more may result in more injury, thus nuliffying the high salaries paid to those that inhabit those positions ..or is there an emotional component lacking amongst black qbs due to over reliance on athleticism in earlier levels of playing the game, thus never having to build up the fundamental foundation that others have had to develop. I understand this can be a sensitive topic so Im trying to be as sensitive as I can here, but yet at the same time want to know the opinion of others. thanks!!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,362 times
Similar reasons as to why there aren't any elite white RBs? Most of the elite QBs of all time were and are pure pocket passers. You simply don't see black QBs that want to stay in the pocket and throw. They all try to have a running game included and I think the amount of hits they take end up shortening their careers, constantly plague them with injuries, or cause them to have hesitation. If I'm building a team around a QB, you can bet your butt I'd rather have a pure passers over a QB that will run. It's simply too much risk to take with injury.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
I think there was a racial bias in the NFL in the past but I don't think that is the case currently -- teams care much much more about winning than to perpetuate a particular stereotype for whatever reason. I'm sure there are many factors, the least being the popularity of the spread/pistol offense where you want the ball in the hands of your best athlete/player.

I think you're going to see more and more black QBs in the future and odds are at least one will be elite. Heck, Cam, Wilson, RG3 may join that pantheon since they're just starting out. Or it may be the new crops Bridgewater, Boyd, Winston, etc.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:19 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
I understand this can be a sensitive topic so Im trying to be as sensitive as I can here, but yet at the same time want to know the opinion of others. thanks!!

On the topic of sensitive.

Though it's been some time back, this has been discussed before. And in both cases those threads evolved into *issi*g contests and got closed, one in a hurry, and the other took a lot of time. As the OP hasn't been a member on this message board all that long, I'll let comments be posted for the rest of tonight. Then the thread goes down.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
I think it has more to do with style of play than anything. As it stands, the bulk of Caucasian QBs are pocket passers, and the bulk of African-American QBs are scramblers/dual-threat. NFL defenses historically have eaten scrambling QBs alive, though that seems to be changing as the dual threat QBs are having more success now than they have even five years ago.

And right now, some of the budding superstar QBs are biracial, namely Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:41 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,199,291 times
Rogers, Brees, Brady, and Manning weren't "elite" within the first three years of their careers.

Elite, to me, comes with consistent success over a long period of time. The folks you mention in the OP (RG III and Cam) haven't been around long enough.

Be patient!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:41 PM

122 posts, read 202,557 times
its really about sample size. there have been plenty of crappy white qb's to come through the nfl, but the law of averages is on their side as far as there being a handful that actually reach elite status. plus, its not really not a matter of race as it is a matter of what the nfl desires from its qb's. i can think of a number of white mobile qb's who were heisman trophy, national championship winners who were asked to change their positon. scott frost, eric crouch, matt jones, tim tebow, etc. what it really comes down to is coaching, not at the nfl level, but the college and high school level as well. when you have a guy who is naturally gifted athletically, most coaches won't harp on his fundamentals and growth as a player if what he does and how he does it is successful and they keep winning. that sets guys like vince young and vick up for failure because at the nfl level its not always the best athlete that wins out. more often than not its the most prepared and most fundamentally sound player that comes out on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football