U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,878,479 times

Advertisements

I don't think the team should lose a draft choice but I think he should be suspended for a game or two...just to send a message. We will never know for sure but I stand by my first thought that he knew what he was doing. Watch the youtube replays. He is judt out there all by himself, walking closer to the field. Then gets right to the edge with his legs together....not a natural stance at all. Standing out there all by himself looking at the screen that is away from the plsy. Then he turns his head to the right and at the last second puts hid foot ON the field then hops out of the way. All of those things make it look suspicious.

He's out there by himself.
Looking at the screen facing AWAY from the play NOT toward it.
Keeps moving toward the field the whole time.
Stands with legs akwardly tightly together.
Turns ONLY his head to the right while standing with legs together.
Looks back over his shoulder with only his eyes...doesn't turn his head.
Then right when Jones gets there sticks his foot FURTHER on the field Then hops out of the way.
Then laughs about it. Most coaches would not be laughing in a game where they are fighting for their playoff life and just had a kick almost returned for a TD!

Watch it on youtube. If it was just a natural stance he wouldn't be so stiff with legs together only looking back with his eyes. Its as if he is standing there waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 AM

21,323 posts, read 21,895,576 times
after reading some of these responses I'm glad Tomlin accidentally got in the way

Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 AM

2,946 posts, read 4,878,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
after reading some of these responses I'm glad Tomlin accidentally got in the way
Lol...head coach Accidently wonders onto the field during a big play. Now that's funny!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,776,585 times
From Rotoworld,

The Steelers are unlikely to lose any draft picks as a result of the Mike Tomlin sideline incident.

The NFL has determined that Jacoby Jones might have scored a touchdown if Tomlin didn't get in his way. But they wound up kicking a field goal and winning the game anyway, so the only effect the incident had on the bottom line was a four-point swing. An NFL source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that draft picks will only be stripped if those four points cost the Ravens any playoff seeding tiebreakers. That's highly unlikely to happen, meaning Tomlin and the Steelers have escaped with only the $100K fine.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,059,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
From Rotoworld,

The Steelers are unlikely to lose any draft picks as a result of the Mike Tomlin sideline incident.

The NFL has determined that Jacoby Jones might have scored a touchdown if Tomlin didn't get in his way. But they wound up kicking a field goal and winning the game anyway, so the only effect the incident had on the bottom line was a four-point swing. An NFL source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that draft picks will only be stripped if those four points cost the Ravens any playoff seeding tiebreakers. That's highly unlikely to happen, meaning Tomlin and the Steelers have escaped with only the $100K fine.
I think Tomlin should have been suspended before they lost draft picks.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,776,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I think Tomlin should have been suspended before they lost draft picks.
This is something I couldn't understand. How can you strip draft picks, which is basically the worst thing the NFL can do to a franchise, but not even suspend the guy responsible for it. It seemed like a very mixed message.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM

2,371 posts, read 3,059,725 times
I agree with the fine and they should suspend him a game or two, but no draft picks, this is too harsh a penalty for the team and this was on Tomlin.

fine and suspension happened for the , I believe, Jets guy (equipment?) who did basically the same thing and he wasn't even a head coach!

being head coach merits fine and suspension.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,552,037 times
They keep talking about how he is on the competition committee? Is this why he gets just a fine and no suspension? I didn't agree with the team being penalized, that is too harsh and I wasn't sure he did it on purpose but does his good standing with the league get him a pass???

Old 12-05-2013, 01:30 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,664,790 times
I would not call a $100,000 fine a pass...

Old 12-05-2013, 04:24 PM

368 posts, read 308,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is something I couldn't understand. How can you strip draft picks, which is basically the worst thing the NFL can do to a franchise, but not even suspend the guy responsible for it. It seemed like a very mixed message.
Because you as a head coach are much less likely to even think about pulling a stunt like this in the future when the consequences of such actions affect an entire team rather than your individual self. This was a message sent not just to Tomlin but to all 32 head coaches in the league. You might say that it is unfair that a team be punished vicariously through the actions of its head coach, but the severity of what Mike did guarantees that if it happens again, he will lose his job. In my estimation, just the sheer amount of heat he probably got from the Rooney's served to straighten him out much more than a suspension would have. I give Executive VP of Operations Ray Anderson two thumbs up for imposing these sanctions. I didn't buy his stance that he was unaware of where he was on the field for one single solitary second. It didn't help his case that he was grinning from ear to ear at the conclusion of the play, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football