U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:43 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
Because you as a head coach are much less likely to even think about pulling a stunt like this in the future when the consequences of such actions affect an entire team rather than your individual self. This was a message sent not just to Tomlin but to all 32 head coaches in the league. You might say that it is unfair that a team be punished vicariously through the actions of its head coach, but the severity of what Mike did guarantees that if it happens again, he will lose his job. In my estimation, just the sheer amount of heat he probably got from the Rooney's served to straighten him out much more than a suspension would have. I give Executive VP of Operations Ray Anderson two thumbs up for imposing these sanctions. I didn't buy his stance that he was unaware of where he was on the field for one single solitary second. It didn't help his case that he was grinning from ear to ear at the conclusion of the play, either.
But you can do both. If losing draft picks is an adequate deterrent, then losing draft picks and getting suspended would work even better. It just seemed like it would have been an odd set of punishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 PM

368 posts, read 307,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
But you can do both. If losing draft picks is an adequate deterrent, then losing draft picks and getting suspended would work even better. It just seemed like it would have been an odd set of punishments.
I partly agree with you, but then you get into the whole appeals process. I absolutely believe Tomlin would appeal a suspension even if he knew & has since publicly acknowledged he was in the wrong. It seems to me that the NFL wanted to handle the problem in a strict non-negotiable manner. That's why I think they did a great job here. Fines and suspensions can be appealed. The removal of draft picks cannot. In my opinion, when you are hit with a punishment that you can't bargain with and hurts more than just yourself, it sends a stronger disciplinary message and it sends that message for the guilty party as well as 31 other people. We hold head coaches to a higher regard than players and assistant coaches, and though it seems harsh, I think the NFL did the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football