Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:02 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times

Advertisements

Guys, normally don't ask FF questions, but I'm in the 1st round of my playoffs and I'm really stumped on what to do and need some advice....Here's the scenerio

I've used Matt Ryan all year and he's actually been better than most think...normally would get me weekly 20+ points in my Yahoo league which is all you can ask for a 6th round QB pick...lately though he's been really stinking it up.

Knowing he's been on a decline, I picked up Joe Flacco off the waiver wire as the best available QB available..

Here's the dilemma. Atlanta (Matt Ryan) plays @ GB this week. I don't like dome teams playing in cold weather (high of 20 degrees and chance of snow late). Flacco has Minnesota at home, but the weather from this storm is supposed to impact Baltimore pretty bad on Sunday...(high of 32 or so and freezing rain/snow)

If Atlanta was at home, I'd start Ryan. However being on the road @ GB, and thinking Flacco has a pretty decent matchup makes me really question this....the weather in Baltimore is making me think Flacco won't be airing it out....

I really don't know who to start in this situation and think I'll probably be making my decision on Sunday morning...

Any truthful feedback from people who are into fantasy football?

My gut says go with Flacco just because Baltimore is the better team, but curious to hear some opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:14 AM

368 posts, read 396,094 times
Two questions before I give you my pick.

#1 - Who else is on the waiver wire?
#2 - What are the scoring settings for this league?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Nice post, OP. I believe last year there was a Fantasy Football thread, but this year there hasnt' been one (i don't think anyway).

I, too, drafted Matt Ryan. But Julio Jones going down has hurt him....bad. I've been rolling with Ben Rothy, and Josh McCown lately, and they've been doing okay.

I would absolutely take Joe Flacco. **edit** I just checked the weather, I see what you mean. Dang, that's tough.

Straight up, Minnesota is one of the worst pass defenses in the league. But in crummy weather (possible snow even), I'm not sure how much he'll air it out, just like you said.

Matt Ryan...on the road in GB in December...that could be yucky too. Really tough decision you have here. I'd probably lean Matt Ryan...hoping Douglass and Gonzalez can create space against a decent (that's being kind) GB secondary. Good luck man!

Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
That is a tough one. Two poor options. I would probably go with Ryan. Or just flip a coin.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
Two questions before I give you my pick.

#1 - Who else is on the waiver wire?
#2 - What are the scoring settings for this league?
Matt McGloin and EJ Manuel are also available..

20 yds per point, bonus for 400 or 450 yds passing

passing td 6 points

INT -2 points

rushing yds 10 yds per point

2 point conversions 2points

fumbles -2 points

Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
I'd go with Ryan as well and hope that Roddy White's performance last week wasn't an aberration.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:22 PM

368 posts, read 396,094 times
I would take McGloin over Ryan and Flacco. The Jets stop the run but not the pass.

I don't like Flacco. He simply does not look as good as he did last year with a healthy Boldin & Dennis Pitta. That and the fact that there will be sloppy conditions leads me to believe he could fumble and/or be picked off a couple times. Baltimore has struggled to run so if Rice can't get anything going, it could be a long day for that offense.

Ryan has more weapons around him but I don't think the Falcons will have the ball that much. They can't stop the run and on a cold day, Green Bay will focus on that weakness, controlling the clock and time of possession. Frankly, I wouldn't trust any quarterback in the playoffs on a messy field.

There is a very slight chance of snow in East Rutherford for Sunday, but doubtful. McGloin may take a bit of heat as the Jets front 7 is outstanding, but quarterbacks have made Milliner and Cromartie look like fools all year. It would be very tough for me to pass on him for Ryan or Flacco in your situation, but it's up to you.

Good luck.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:20 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,618,819 times
The weather in GB will be 15 degrees colder than normal plus they are predicting snow. It is going to be a shock to the system, how does Ryan do in the cold??? The field isn't an issue as much as it used to be, due to it being heated but it depends on when the snow arrives.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
I'd go with Flacco. He's at home, loves to air it out, has an abysmal running game (or run blocking), Torrey Smith is good for a few long catches and maybe a TD, and the Ravens D should be able to put the offense in favorable situations.

In bad weather, the offense almost always has the advantage. Especially, the home team.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Is Fitzpatrtick available? He's been somewhat decent this year. I'm actually having to go with him in my first round match-up as well.

I just looked at Flacco's and Ryan's stats again, and man, they have struggled big time lately. Since week 8 Ryan has a game high of 18 points in my league. And 13 or less points in 4 or those 6 weeks. Flacco has four straight weeks of 16 or less points.

Fitz has gone 27, 16, 26, and 17 in his last four games. However, I am guessing it is going to be cold in Denver this Sunday so that does worry me a bit.

EJ Manuel and Andy Dalton are other possible options for me. I would think EJ Manuel could be a possibility for you as well CJ. EJ has gone for 21 and 20 points in his last two games. And apparently the Bucs have given up multiple touchdown passes in 8 straight games. And give up the fourth most fantasy points to QBs.

There was a point earlier in the year when I nearly traded for Dalton. Now he is available and I likely won't even pick him up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football