U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,003 times

Advertisements

I have been watching the NFL for a few years now but have never got around to picking a team. I have noticed that it has ruined my enjoyment of the game a bit, so I have decided to pick a team. I have narrowed it down to the following teams:

Cincinnati Bengals
Philadelphia Eagles
Buffalo Bills
Seattle Seahawks
Cleveland Browns

I picked these teams because none of them have won a Super Bowl and they are all in locations that I like the look of. I am British so it's much harder for me to pick a team then it is for you Americans. I have never "taken" to a team and I can't see how a team magically jumps out at you, so I need a reason for supporting one of these teams.

Cincinnati is the home to my favourite band of current and I like that Cincinnati seems to be an All-American city.

Philadelphia is "The Birthplace of America", so being a US history buff has made me like this team even more.

In my third year of university I have the option of studying for a year at SUNY University at Buffalo, so that is making me like Buffalo a bit more.

Seattle is the setting of my all-time favourite TV show and it seems a city that would be my type.

Cleveland I like because of their history and the fact they are considered the loveable losers.

Based on all of this, who do you think I should root for? To help me, I have some extra criteria.

My criteria is a team that:
- has a lot of history.
- plays many games in the snow.
- good/loyal fans.
- is in a city that is worth visiting (not that important)
- is in a city with some other sports teams (not bothered about NBA)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM

2,746 posts, read 2,367,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderlyle View Post

- has a lot of history.
- good/loyal fans.

Thanks
Maybe those games in London are having a little effect to draw in more fans? Here is a very similar thread from another Brit that may help you.
What NFL team should I root for? (British fan)

Look into the Green Bay Packers based on the above criteria. Milwaukee is somewhat near Green Bay & fits your last 2 criteria.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:48 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,540,543 times
I was thinking the same thing but couldn't find the previous thread!

Old 12-08-2013, 01:07 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
I'd go with Cincinnati or Cleveland. Both are bad teams, in working class cities, but both have a couple of good pieces to build around to become relevant in the next couple of years. If you don't want to be considered a front runner, I'd go with 1 of those 2.
That's how I picked Tottenham with EPL about 8 years ago. I didn't want a team that was constantly at the top of the league (Arsenal, Chelsea, United), but also didn't want to jump aboard like a Blackburn, Wolverhampton, or West Ham, teams that are subjected to relegation every season. I've been to London a couple times, so Tottenham was a good fit for that criteria.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,860,426 times
What about the Chicago Bears...much more fun city than any you listed.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:48 PM

667 posts, read 1,081,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderlyle View Post
I have been watching the NFL for a few years now but have never got around to picking a team. I have noticed that it has ruined my enjoyment of the game a bit, so I have decided to pick a team. I have narrowed it down to the following teams:

Cincinnati Bengals
Philadelphia Eagles
Buffalo Bills
Seattle Seahawks
Cleveland Browns

I picked these teams because none of them have won a Super Bowl and they are all in locations that I like the look of. I am British so it's much harder for me to pick a team then it is for you Americans. I have never "taken" to a team and I can't see how a team magically jumps out at you, so I need a reason for supporting one of these teams.

Cincinnati is the home to my favourite band of current and I like that Cincinnati seems to be an All-American city.

Philadelphia is "The Birthplace of America", so being a US history buff has made me like this team even more.

In my third year of university I have the option of studying for a year at SUNY University at Buffalo, so that is making me like Buffalo a bit more.

Seattle is the setting of my all-time favourite TV show and it seems a city that would be my type.

Cleveland I like because of their history and the fact they are considered the loveable losers.

Based on all of this, who do you think I should root for? To help me, I have some extra criteria.

- has a lot of history.
- good/loyal fans.

Thanks
Cincinnati meets your criteria
much history, so bad for 2 decades, but then a taste of the playoffs in recent years has the fans hungry for the next level
more games in the snow than I wanted (so I moved to AZ)
loyal fans, even from far away places like AZ (& Great Britain!)
Cincy is home to the MLB Reds as well

Here is a taste of game day tailgating:

Cincinnati Bengals Song & Video - The Jungle's Back (Who Dey) by Surreal - BlackliteProductions.com - YouTube

All you need to do is learn to yell "WHO-DEY"!!!

Welcome to the Jungle, baby!!!

(besides, all those other teams you mentioned have too many fans as it is... well maybe not Buffalo)

Old 12-11-2013, 04:10 PM

273 posts, read 348,714 times
Please be a Cincinnati Bengals fan We would be glad to have you on board! WHO DEY!

Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,742,240 times
Go with Cleveland or Buffalo. That way no one can claim you are jumping on the bandwagon.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,354,667 times
Despite playing indoors....Detroit Lions.

Industrial wasteland with a unique history. The automobile. Motown. Robocop.

Going strictly on your list, I'd go Browns. Mad respect for Cleveland in their fans.

Glad you're not a glory hound. It irks me to no end how many Americans get into soccer and follow the likes of Chelsea and Man United. I knew one Chelsea fan here in the States before Russian wealth. Now they're falling out of every nook and cranny.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:23 AM

9,070 posts, read 15,024,002 times
I am a Bills fan (die hard) and season ticket holder.

So that said, I would choose an organization that has a track record for being run well and winning. That would certainly rule out Buffalo and Cleveland, and I think it leaves Cincinnati a little questionable too.

Seattle and Philly seem to be more consistently good over the past 10 or so years.

Although you can stick behind any team, I can tell you from experience it is far more fun to follow a team that is good more than they are bad. Buffalo? Cleveland? It is more torture than fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or