U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,537,076 times

Advertisements

All it takes is the use of simple math (and playing the odds) and it should've been obvious that in yesterday's game, when SF got a 1st down near the 10 yard line (trailing by 1 point) with Seattle out of timeouts and roughly 2:30 minutes to play, that the Seahawks should've just let them score a TD on 1st down. If they scored, that would've been with 2:20 or so. Seattle gets the ball, down by 6, with 2:15 to play and the 2 minute warning timeout. They'd have a fighting chance with a really good qb. Did Pete think there was a chance that SF's kicker was going to miss a sub 25-yard chip shot? C'mon.

Instead Seattle gets the ball with 25-28 seconds left, no timeouts. Game over on the next play which was basically a hail mary type throw.

I think what irked me more than the Seahawks not doing this was that the Fox broadcasters (Buck & Aikman) didn't even bring this up until 3rd down and only very casually...like Troy just woke up and said "Ya know, Seattle may have to consider letting them score here as there's only 1:15 on the clock". Ya think? How is it that Joe Schmo (me) picked up on this the moment Kaepernick got that first down yet the Fox guys just acted like we were in the 2nd quarter or something?

I didn't even see discussion of this on the highlight shows later. So is there something I'm missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,962,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
In this situation the 49ers weren't trying to score a TD... If I were Harbaugh and it was obvious the Seahawks would let me score I'd take a knee instead.

What's better? Scoring a TD to take a 23-17 lead giving the Seahawks the ball back with 2 mins left and no timeouts...

or...

Taking a knee and letting the clock run down then kicking a chip shot field goal to take a 19-17 lead giving the Seahawks the ball back with 20 seconds left and no timeouts?
Hmmmmm?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:43 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,441,239 times
Seahawks thought David Akers is still kicking for the Niners.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Hmmmmm?
I didn't see your post, I must have missed it.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:56 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,962,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I didn't see your post, I must have missed it.

What would Belicheck do?

As said, I doubt Harbaugh would be stupid enough to score a TD in that situation.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
What would Belicheck do?

As said, I doubt Harbaugh would be stupid enough to score a TD in that situation.
You may be right but he didn't exactly have them take a knee. It looked like they were running regular running plays. Regardless, it would've been in Seattle's best interest to at least TRY to let them score the TD. I wonder, what if a Seattle player literally pulled the 49er RB into the endzone? That's not illegal right?

Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
What would Belicheck do?

And after reading that thread, all I can say is d'oh (hits self in head) for starting an identical new thread on this haha. I didn't even notice that thread, I glossed over the title and since it had Belichek in the title, I just said "next". My bad.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
And after reading that thread, all I can say is d'oh (hits self in head) for starting an identical new thread on this haha. I didn't even notice that thread, I glossed over the title and since it had Belichek in the title, I just said "next". My bad.
It's all good. I tried to be clever by adding the Belicheck twist since he is generally regarded as one of the smartest coaches in the league.

There was actually a situation two years ago when my Bills finally beat the Pats for the first time in like 15 games that Belicheck was upset with the refs that they over ruled a Fred Jackson TD catch and run. Game was tied at 31 at the time. Refs originally called it a TD but the replay booth reviewed it since it was inside 2 minutes and saw that Fred's knee was down at the one yard line. Belicheck argued that he wanted the TD to count. Bills went on to kick the game winning FG with no time left because of a Wilfork personal foul penalty that gave them an additional first down a couple plays later.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,506,707 times
If Harbough knew they were gonna let the Niners score a TD, Kaepernick would've just kneeled on it. Either way, San Fran would've gotten the field goal attempt after Gore broke that 50 yard run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football