U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:38 AM

6,641 posts, read 10,697,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Why does a thread about headphones get resurrected after nearly 4 years to discuss an unrelated controversy that is already settled?

Good point. A few weeks ago the moderator locked down a similar thread, and rightly so.

If anything, this thread should be in the Political Theater and Other Forms of Cheap Entertainment forum, not Pro Football.

To be sure, this individual's demise has to do with performance on the field, but to the extent that it also has to do with his sideline and off-field antics, it reflects pro football fans' preference not to mix the two types of entertainment.

Last edited by bale002; 07-31-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 06:15 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,136,930 times
Colin WHO?

Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 AM

28,551 posts, read 15,494,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Why does a thread about headphones get resurrected after nearly 4 years to discuss an unrelated controversy that is already settled?
Interesting... did not see the post date or note the topic.

The Seahawks were deciding whether or not to sign CK earlier this offseason. I thought it had to do with that and the flap from last year.

My bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Good point. A few weeks ago the moderator locked down a similar thread, and rightly so.

If anything, this thread should be in the Political Theater and Other Forms of Cheap Entertainment forum, not Pro Football.

To be sure, this individual's demise has to do with performance on the field, but to the extent that it also has to do with his sideline and off-field antics, it reflects pro football fans' preference not to mix the two types of entertainment.
In bringing this back up, I purposely kept the details of the politics out and focused on the business of football and what's important.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Interesting ... focus ... on the business of football and what's important.
The SF 49ers made it to the Super Bowl in the 2012 season and the NFC championship game in 2013, but since then they have been on precipitous decline.

To what, or whom, do you attribute their success and failure over these past five seasons?

To what extent was the quarterback relevant? Did he gain and then lose a lot of supporting cast?

Last edited by bale002; 08-02-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 PM

364 posts, read 299,019 times
Quote:
Now Baltimore...

Ravens fans outraged over Colin Kaepernick talk need some perspective

Kaepernick, of course, deeply offended a lot of Americans when he decided to sit or kneel when the national anthem was played before games last year. He has since let it be known that he will stand for the anthem if he plays in the NFL this season.

Good for him... even though at this point - I think he would sing the anthem in order to get back in the NFL and get an NFL size check.

Also...

Letís be clear on something. I didnít agree with his decision to do that and I condemn his stupid decision to wear socks at a 49ers practice that portrayed police officers as pigs. But I do believe that the right to peacefully protest is one of the things that makes America truly great in spite of its many blemishes.

This is business. The fans are the customers. Protest on your own time and try not to offend the customers - if you want their business. If you can't do that, then maybe it's time to find another line of work. I do think he has figured out that part. The sportswriter on the other hand...
Kaepernick chose to walk away from a 12 million dollar contract last year. He wasn't forced, I guess he thought his revolution aimed at the US Flag & Police was a winner. Apparently he misjudged his self importance...

Old 08-06-2017, 08:21 PM

28,551 posts, read 15,494,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The SF 49ers made it to the Super Bowl in the 2012 season and the NFC championship game in 2013, but since then they have been on precipitous decline.

To what, or whom, do you attribute their success and failure over these past five seasons?

To what extent was the quarterback relevant? Did he gain and then lose a lot of supporting cast?
They got rid of Harbaugh... that's #1.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,967,398 times
Kaepernick's girlfriend recently made some racist comment about the Baltimore Raven's owner. This will effectively end Kaepernick's career. Nobody wants this kind of distraction and hate speech.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
They got rid of Harbaugh... that's #1.
Quite insightful, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Kaepernick's girlfriend recently made some racist comment about the Baltimore Raven's owner. This will effectively end Kaepernick's career. Nobody wants this kind of distraction and hate speech.
According to one website, his effective pay in the 2011-2016 period was around $28M. Okay, say 50% in taxes, so $14M. If he doesn't pi$$ it away and makes even some safe investments, that could last a lifetime.

It seems that his real passion is cheap political theater, so maybe going forward he can eke out a few extra bucks on that, giving speeches and whatnot, maybe running for Congress in some safe district.

You see, a reckless mouth and gestures can sometimes be profitable after all.

Good Luck!

Old 08-07-2017, 01:49 PM

892 posts, read 2,122,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
Kaepernick chose to walk away from a 12 million dollar contract last year. He wasn't forced, I guess he thought his revolution aimed at the US Flag & Police was a winner. Apparently he misjudged his self importance...
would you work for free? no more guaranteed cash on that last year and they said they would cut him.

i'm going to assume you were born yesterday since you have no idea why he kneeled.

apparently speaking out about unarmed people being shot at traffic stops automatically makes you anti police, anti country, and racist.

That is not how it works.

try your same stance, but insert Dr. Martin Luther King's name instead of kaepernick and see how far that gets you.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:55 PM

1,527 posts, read 637,034 times
If I pay to see a play or a football game or whatever, I want to see the play or the football game. I don't want to be forced to see/hear the players' political views, regardless of what they are or whether or not I agree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football