Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What American city would be best suited to take on a new NFL team?
Birmingham 0 0%
Memphis 1 1.75%
Salt Lake City 4 7.02%
Portland 7 12.28%
Louisville 2 3.51%
Oklahoma City 4 7.02%
Tulsa 1 1.75%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Los Angeles 28 49.12%
Raleigh 2 3.51%
Orlando 0 0%
Milwaukee 1 1.75%
Columbus 1 1.75%
Des Moines 1 1.75%
Other, please specify 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,932,166 times

Advertisements

I wonder which one of you posters sent me that hilarious rep comment saying "All I can say is BLESS YOUR HEART!! You don't get sarcasm, ey?"

Anyway, I would pick Los Angeles as the city that deserves to have an NFL team over any other city. Though if I were Roger Goodell, I would never allow Los Angeles to have 2 NFL franchises again. They only deserve to have 1 team. They have shown that despite being the 2nd largest sports market, they have a hard time supporting 2 NFL teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,909,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wonder which one of you posters sent me that hilarious rep comment saying "All I can say is BLESS YOUR HEART!! You don't get sarcasm, ey?"

Anyway, I would pick Los Angeles as the city that deserves to have an NFL team over any other city. Though if I were Roger Goodell, I would never allow Los Angeles to have 2 NFL franchises again. They only deserve to have 1 team. They have shown that despite being the 2nd largest sports market, they have a hard time supporting 2 NFL teams.
I received the same reputation comment. Hilarious indeed; think it's pretty obvious who is trying to be funny around here.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:54 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,436,392 times
I like OKC. Obvious they love their football, they do have a professional basketball team now but small market teams can have both if the support is there.

With that said, I'd vote no without retraction of the Jags or some other team in the league, 32 is enough.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:05 PM

688 posts, read 894,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I see what you're saying, but several other states have 3 teams. Florida, California, and New York.

Ohio has enough people and enough big cities to support it, however I think the distance between Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland is too little to support 3 teams, so in my opinion Columbus wouldn't be the best choice.
Yeah, the distance is just too small. I'm content with Columbus having those professional sports that Cincinnati and Cleveland don't have (hockey, soccer). Adding another NFL team to Ohio would just take fans away from the Bengals and Browns, both of which are already relatively small market teams.

IMO, Florida isn't properly supporting three teams. All three teams average less than 90% attendance, which is pretty low for the NFL. I think the Raiders should move back to L.A. and either the Jaguars or Buccaneers should move out of Florida.

IMO, I think the only states large enough to support three teams are California and Texas.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:09 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,909,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
Yeah, the distance is just too small. I'm content with Columbus having those professional sports that Cincinnati and Cleveland don't have (hockey, soccer). Adding another NFL team to Ohio would just take fans away from the Bengals and Browns, both of which are already relatively small market teams.

IMO, Florida isn't properly supporting three teams. All three teams average less than 90% attendance, which is pretty low for the NFL. I think the Raiders should move back to L.A. and either the Jaguars or Buccaneers should move out of Florida.

IMO, I think the only states large enough to support three teams are California and Texas.
I was not aware that Florida's teams had issues with attendance. Jacksonville is actually probably one of the smaller cities to harbor an NFL team. Actually, after Green Bay I think Jacksonville is the second smallest, just a little over 1 million in the metro area, and the Jaguars are still a newer team.

Not sure how the scene in Buffalo and Cleveland is, but both teams seem pretty dreary with smaller fan bases and a dwindling amount of talent on the teams, it's been a long time since either has had their glory days or been competitive.

On the other hand, New York City seems to do a fine job housing two NFL teams.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 PM

688 posts, read 894,964 times
Quote:
I was not aware that Florida's teams had issues with attendance. Jacksonville is actually probably one of the smaller cities to harbor an NFL team. Actually, after Green Bay I think Jacksonville is the second smallest, just a little over 1 million in the metro area, and the Jaguars are still a newer team.

Not sure how the scene in Buffalo and Cleveland is, but both teams seem pretty dreary with smaller fan bases and a dwindling amount of talent on the teams, it's been a long time since either has had their glory days or been competitive.

On the other hand, New York City seems to do a fine job housing two NFL teams.
I'm not sure about Buffalo, but Cleveland's fan base is still hanging in there (71k/97.3% per game). I can't knock Browns fans, like Bengals fans, they hang(hung) in there through some extended tough times. Hopefully Browns fans get rewarded at some point like Cincinnati has as of late.

Yeah, New York City can easily support two, as if it's metro area were a state in of itself, it would be the third most populous state, lol.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:50 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,932,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
Yeah, New York City can easily support two, as if it's metro area were a state in of itself, it would be the third most populous state, lol.
No other market should be able to have two NFL franchises. Not even the Los Angeles sports market.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,217,362 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why LA can't hold a team either. Perhaps it's the serious traffic factor, LA probably has the worst traffic of any of the cities to have an NFL team. I can't think of any other factor though besides possibly poor management or market outreach.
Why would traffic be a factor? Dodger Stadium, Staples Center are both in LA and near Down town and people seem to make it to those places. A plan is bumping around to build a new stadium near Staples Center.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Columbus already have 2 professional teams which are the Blue Jackets(NHL) and the Crew(MLS).
LA has the Lakers and the Clippers and both call the Staples Center home. That is two NBA teams in one venue. On top of that the LA Kings also call the Staples Center home. So now that is 2 NBA teams and a NHL team all at the same building. Oh and lets not forget the WNBA Los Angeles Sparks that are, you guessed it housed in the Staples Center. Within the same real estate the company that owns the Staples Center wants to build an NFL stadium. Then the only thing that would be missing is MLB. Then again LA has the Dodgers and the Angels, then again the Angels of Los Angeles are technically in Aneheim which is in Orange County.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Here is the deal, in LA we have USC and they play a few miles south of the Staples Center and UCLA on the West Side. We have our football fix and it comes from the PAC12. Also Oxnard to the North West is the summer training ground for the Dallas Cowboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football