U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What American city would be best suited to take on a new NFL team?
Birmingham 0 0%
Memphis 1 1.75%
Salt Lake City 4 7.02%
Portland 7 12.28%
Louisville 2 3.51%
Oklahoma City 4 7.02%
Tulsa 1 1.75%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Los Angeles 28 49.12%
Raleigh 2 3.51%
Orlando 0 0%
Milwaukee 1 1.75%
Columbus 1 1.75%
Des Moines 1 1.75%
Other, please specify 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 PM

6,513 posts, read 9,052,094 times

Advertisements

Does anyone think Las Vegas or Portland would be the best choices? Those are my favorite choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 01:48 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
Its a question of buying one and then doing the study on support of fan base plus financially. LA has had and loss teams in Pro football arleady. Some cities do worse because they already have sports teams and it only devides potential often.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:40 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Here is the deal, in LA we have USC and they play a few miles south of the Staples Center and UCLA on the West Side. We have our football fix and it comes from the PAC12. Also Oxnard to the North West is the summer training ground for the Dallas Cowboys.
Are most residents in Oxnard Dallas Cowboys fans?

Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM

15,728 posts, read 26,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Are most residents in Oxnard Dallas Cowboys fans?
Oxnard is split. You are either an Oakland fan or a Dallas fan for the most part in Oxnard. On my street of 20 homes we have a mix of teams represented. A Charger's fan on one side and New England across the street. Since I am a Pete Carrol fan I have been watching Seatle for a couple years now and like them. Even a Ramms fan on the street. Raiders are everywhere as are Cowboys fans.

During training camp everyone makes a visit while the Boys are in town.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM

15,024 posts, read 4,798,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Does anyone think Las Vegas or Portland would be the best choices? Those are my favorite choices.
Yes. I had selected Portland from the poll choices. I also believe the Las Vegas region is now large enough to easily support a team. I would say Las Vegas would be roughly even with San Antonio and Memphis (three way tie for second IMO).

I am sure the NFL would not allow sports betting at the Las Vegas' stadium (the family factor/NFL reputation). It would have to happen offsite (the LV Strip/Fremont St....just away from the stadium). That would be the only potential glitch and I would guess Las Vegas would cooperate. It is not like they don't make enough money from gambling there as it is, right? LOL! Today's retractable roofs make it easy for teams to play in the hot desert climates in the early part of the season...Sept/early Oct.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:18 PM

20,900 posts, read 39,174,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Rams left because the fans HATED the owner, she knew it, and she followed the money to St. Louis. Where she was welcomed like the opera star she, a second rate actress and model, aspired to be.

They had a long history in Los Angeles and had a solid fan base. Frontier, who knew nothing about football, inherited the team and made a series of decisions that alienated the fans. People would chant obscenities when she walked out onto the field. As much as they loved the team, fans hated her more. She did zero in the community, never lived in Orange County, and people weren't going to spend money on her team. Which, at the time, was not winning games. She took the team away from the fans. Had her husband, Caroll Rosenbloom, not drowned while swimming off the coast of Florida the team would never have left Southern California.
This is why I voted for L.A. to get a team, the city is at least triple the size of San Diego. If need be, move the Jaguars to L.A.

Here's a list of cities by population. Note that Green Bay is all the way down in 268th place with just 104,000 people.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:26 PM

273 posts, read 348,915 times
Portland is an amazing choice for pro football. I drafted up a logo and uniform for a franchise in that city a few years ago. Portland Thorns would be the name.

The Timbers and Trail Blazers have huge, dedicated fanbases. I don't see why it wouldn't translate into football as well.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,359,735 times
San Antonio. If it weren't for publicity and pressure on Tom Benson to keep the Saints in New Orleans, they may be playing there today. Football holds a lot of appeal in Texas.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,730,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Los Angeles would seem to be a good choice, but the experience of the Rams and more recently the Raiders gives one pause. I don't know what the factor is in LA that prevents it from having an NFL team that stays there.

Las Vegas, Portland, San Antonio and Memphis have large enough metros now to support a team. Albuquerque and Louisville, KY may be large enough in 5-10 years. I am sure there may be a few other candidates. This is a good list, though. Three of these cities currently have NBA teams (Portland, San Antonio, Memphis), so they would be the safer bets.
No to Memphis.
Nashville is too close ( Titans )

Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 PM

6,513 posts, read 9,052,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
No to Memphis.
Nashville is too close ( Titans )
Green Bay - Chicago

Detroit - Cleveland

Houston - Dallas

San Francisco - Oakland

D.C. - Baltimore

I don't think being too close is an issue, most of those cities are a lot closer than Memphis is to Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or