U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,507,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
The NFL doesn't exist for middle class families, other than watching on TV.
I agree and our Cable bill is getting so high, that someday I might not even be able to afford that.

But on second thought, I will give up food before I give up watching football!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,540,543 times
It really isn't as bad out as I thought it was going to be and I turned down 2 free tickets from the Packers. The guy who got them in place of me sounded really happy and I have been sick, not smart sitting out for 4 hours!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,419,733 times
for the average fan I'd say those events are better than attending the actual game

for the fan that has their team playing in the game, it isn't by any stretch

however, the host market typically doesn't have their team in there - so the parties, events, etc are a lot of fun and pretty affordable

Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 PM

6,860 posts, read 9,279,877 times
It was interesting to hear about all the game blackout talk. The Bucs had 0ne sell out last year, and I think one or two this year. Otherwise they are lucky to get 25,000-30,000 people to show up, so even the 85% rule didn't work. Don't know how tight the Glazer family is with the honchos at NFL, but they got them to agree to show games in the local Tampa market. It was odd to see all the empty seats with the games on TV.
Was going to attend the Daytona 500 last year until I discovered that the cheapest seat available was $140. The ticket prices at Raymond James stadium were reduced. Cheapest seat in nosebleed end zone seats is $35 But bring a $100 bill for parking, beer and hotdog.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:07 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,147,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post

As a fan, a perfect playoff football scenario is sitting at home with some good friends, getting pizza delivery, having some beer, and watching the game on the big screen in HD. Not fighting traffic to get downtown, finding a lot to park in and paying for that privilege, walking to the stadium (at least it should be above freezing before the game), getting in to the stadium, climbing to the nosebleed seats, watching some ants run around on the field for a while, walk back to the car, fight traffic out of the parking lot, fight traffic onto the highway, fight traffic on my 15 mile drive back home and miss half of the late playoff game. I will definitely take the first scenario and save myself a bunch of money in the process.
Man, I totally disagree.

We had this same discussion at our tailgater before the Colts/Chiefs game and, to be honest, there were times I wondered why I still pay for season tickets and playoff tickets.

After the Colts came back to win that game, I celebrated in the parking lot with the same people and I told them I remembered why I keep paying big money to go to games.

I LOVE football on TV. Of all the major sports, I think it translates best to television.

With that said, TV can never capture the atmosphere and excitement I experienced at that game Saturday night.

It could not capture the atmosphere and excitement I experienced in the RCA Dome when we beat New England to go to the Super Bowl. It's funny, when I talk to Colts fans and we talk about that AFC Championship Game, it is clear who was actually at the game, and who just watched it on TV. If you weren't there, you don't know what it felt like. I don't care how fun or rowdy your house party or local bar was. It was not the same and you will never know that feeling.

THAT is why I continue to pay for season tickets and pay $500 a season for my parking/tailgating spot. That feeling is unlike anything you can ever get at home. I don't care how cheap the beer is, how clear the TV is, or how short the bathroom line is. That communal experience isn't found in a living room. Maybe it can be found at church, but I'm not going there.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:45 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,219,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
It was interesting to hear about all the game blackout talk. The Bucs had 0ne sell out last year, and I think one or two this year. Otherwise they are lucky to get 25,000-30,000 people to show up, so even the 85% rule didn't work. Don't know how tight the Glazer family is with the honchos at NFL, but they got them to agree to show games in the local Tampa market. It was odd to see all the empty seats with the games on TV.
Was going to attend the Daytona 500 last year until I discovered that the cheapest seat available was $140. The ticket prices at Raymond James stadium were reduced. Cheapest seat in nosebleed end zone seats is $35 But bring a $100 bill for parking, beer and hotdog.
Odd, i went to the Daytona 500 last year.. going again this year.
I sat on the backstretch with my son (9) for $85.00 total. 12 and under are free on the backstretch...
$140 would be for front stretch tickets.. but I think you can get those for around $130 this year...
Parking at Daytona is FREE at most lots.. in fact parking at most Nascar races is FREE. also, at NASCAR events, you can bring your own BEER and HOTDOG.. They allow you a small (6 pack sized) cooler.

There is really no comparing the cost of a NASCAR race to an NFL game. My son and i can go to the Daytona 500 for less than $150 but we can't go to a preseason NFL Game for less than $300. no comparison, really.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:12 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,419,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
but we can't go to a preseason NFL Game for less than $300. no comparison, really.
I call shenanigans

Last year the average cost for a Falcons ticket was $83.71 ....... however, it's possible to get in for less than the average.

For the 2014 season there are tons of seats that sell to ST holders for $35-$40 a ticket ..... for a preseason game at most you'll pay their cost, typically you'll pay less as many ST holders simply look to dump those games for whatever they can get (if not simply give them away)

You should have no problem getting in for $40 a ticket so $80 total. Throw in another $20 to park. Drink 3 $10 beers for $30. The kid gets an unlimited soda for $7. Each spend an additional $15 on food items - you are at $167 for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football