Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times

Advertisements

The NFL is granting extensions to sell tickets. I seem to remember this happening every year.

The Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday joined the Indianapolis Colts in getting a ticket sale deadline extension from the NFL.

The Bengals now have until 4 p.m. ET Friday in order to sell the remaining tickets to Sunday's first-round AFC playoff game against the San Diego Chargers.

Late Thursday afternoon, there was no official word as to how many Bengals tickets were left. The number 3,500 was accidentally floated by the team's Twitter account before being quickly deleted. Team officials later said they weren't able to provide an exact figure. All they said was that it was low enough for an extension to be granted.

The NFL gave the Colts a second extension to try to sell their remaining 3,000 tickets for Saturday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs to avoid having the game blacked out in the Indianapolis area.

The Colts have until 4:30 ET Friday to sell their remaining tickets. The Colts have sold out 137 of their last 138 games.

Many of the tickets purchased Thursday came from local businesses that are planning to donate them to local military families.

By the end of business Wednesday, Bengals director of sales and public affairs Jeff Berding said about 8,000 tickets remained at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Packers have 3,000 according to local news and they did receive an extension. Prices start at 102. I think they'll get it done.

Last edited by susancruzs; 01-02-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 04:09 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
The NFL may be greedy, but the fans still pay. Why should they change?

Old 01-02-2014, 04:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Packers have 3,000 according to local news and they did receive an extension. Prices start at 102. I think they'll get it done.
Definitely. Just checked some secondary market sites and the cheapest I could find was $105 for a single. A bit earlier it was much more value to buy 2nd hand than direct, but not the case anymore.

They'll get it done

Old 01-02-2014, 05:02 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The NFL may be greedy, but the fans still pay. Why should they change?
You do realize that alot of people 'don't pay' because they can't afford the product of going to watch a game w/their family....

Here's a typical day out for it...

Say a dad and two sons....

-3 tickets: conservative $300 total for nosebleeds

-parking and gas: $30 (conservative in some places)

-Food/drinks: $40

-souvenier: $20

That's roughly $400 conservatively for 3 hours.....more if you get decent seats...

Its not a family outing at all....

Think about if you have to purchase PSL's...buy that, then you have to buy season tickets and preseason games whether you like it or not.

It is what it is, but it just sucks that its a luxury to go to an NFL game....

Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
The forecast high is 2 and low that night -18... so I figure around 0 and kickoff and -5 by the end of the game... could end up being in the top 5 coldest of games depending on how things pan out, not counting wind chills. Sunset in Green Bay will be around 4:30.

If I was in Milwaukee I'd be pissed to put it mildly if the home team game was blacked out. Greed, plain and simple.

I'm a packer fan but I've been critical too of these so called 'shares' that they are allowed to sell that give no voting rights, can't be resold, and are essentially worthless. I'm amazed more people aren't critical of this and that Green Bay can do this while other teams can't because of technicalities.

I'd rather watch the games on TV... as others have mentioned they are expensive and I enjoy the commentary and especially with HD, the camera is always where it needs to be.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-02-2014 at 05:12 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 05:15 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The forecast high is 2 and low that night -18... so I figure around 0 and kickoff and -5 by the end of the game... could end up being in the top 5 coldest of games depending on how things pan out, not counting wind chills. Sunset in Green Bay will be around 4:30.

If I was in Milwaukee I'd be pissed to put it mildly if the home team game was blacked out. Greed, plain and simple.

I'm a packer fan but I've been critical too of these so called 'shares' that they are allowed to sell that give no voting rights, can't be resold, and are essentially worthless. I'm amazed more people aren't critical of this and that Green Bay can do this while other teams can't because of technicalities.

I'd rather watch the games on TV... as others have mentioned they are expensive and I enjoy the commentary and especially with HD, the camera is always where it needs to be.
The suckers (I mean shareholders), who bought worthless shares to pay for stadium upgrades deserve what they get......nothing.

This goes back to people who don't think things through and support upper management people who are very good marketers....

Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Colts season ticket holder here. The system for season ticket holders here to purchase playoff tickets has been the same for years. You have to purchase tickets for two possible playoff (WC/divisional round and AFCCG). Whatever goes unused is credited toward next season's ticket purchase. If you prefer a refund, they make you wait until the following fall. It is a big bill that comes due right before Christmas (Dec 12 this year) but folks should be used to it here.

In the case of Indy and GB, it's obvious a lot of ST holders didn't pay the invoice because their teams were playing like hot garbage when the bill came due. Cincy has had attendance issues for awhile.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 AM

325 posts, read 1,077,428 times
While Cincy has had attendance problems for quite some time, I think the worst thing that happened to them was the Steelers not making the playoffs. Had they made it they would have played the Bengals and I believe Pittsburghers would have made the trip. I don't think they would have had difficulty selling out.
As for the Colts they have not been playing all that well down the stretch, but Lucas Oil is gigantic. In addition some of the sight lines in that big stadium are not that great. People don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for terrible seats.
I am most surprised by the Packers, I had never considered how cold the weather is going to be this weekend, but you would think the matchup with the 49ers would bring the fans out. I guess people are either refusing or simply don't have the funds to go to these games. I think including the price of the tickets one game might run close to 400 if not more.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:51 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
In addition to what grmasterb said, the Indy Star reported this morning that only 70% of Colts season ticket holders bought playoff tickets. The Colts tried to blame the fact that they didn't know when they were playing until last Sunday night but I don't buy that for a minute. The Colts won the division a month ago. We knew we were going to have a home playoff game either this Saturday or this Sunday for a month! If you really want to go, you make sure your calendar stays clear. It would be different if it were the case of, say, the Packers who didn't know if they were going to be playing this weekend until about 6pm last Sunday.

As a fan, a perfect playoff football scenario is sitting at home with some good friends, getting pizza delivery, having some beer, and watching the game on the big screen in HD. Not fighting traffic to get downtown, finding a lot to park in and paying for that privilege, walking to the stadium (at least it should be above freezing before the game), getting in to the stadium, climbing to the nosebleed seats, watching some ants run around on the field for a while, walk back to the car, fight traffic out of the parking lot, fight traffic onto the highway, fight traffic on my 15 mile drive back home and miss half of the late playoff game. I will definitely take the first scenario and save myself a bunch of money in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football