U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,682,822 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I'm glad the NFL is finally getting some negative press in terms of how fans are very low on the list of priortities......Its apparant in alot of ways from when games are put on TV to ticket prices....the NFL caters to big business first and foremost.

Y! SPORTS

Its unimaginable that teams don't sell out instantaneously for playoff games....

w/the cost of PSL's, tickets, parking, insane food prices...is it no wonder people don't rush to pay these rediculous prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:15 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,559,537 times
It is a non-stop conversation right now in northeast Wisconsin. Packers changed the way season ticket holders would pay for tickets plus playoff invoices went out right after they lost 40-10 to the Lions, with Rodgers still out. People were told they would not get a refund, but the amount would apply to 2014 invoice instead.

I have friends that have tickets and the process is complicated because of the different packages, Milwaukee market as some games were played there at one time, too. I also found it interesting as they added 8,000? seats in the south end zone and that is where they were yesterday with tickets. I haven't looked this a.m.!

I can't imagine a game being blacked out here, what a topic of conversation that would be!

Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,885,493 times
The NFL is really not any different than the NBA, NHL, etc. in that the corporations that spend the big dollars for ads and buy the club seats and suites get preferential treatment. One only needs to look at the allocation of Super Bowl tickets to see this. IMO, 65-70% of the tickets to the Super Bowl should be split among the teams playing in the game. I think right now it's less than 40%.

I am sure the Packers will find a way to get the needed amount of tickets sold. I could not believe the NFL would blackout a playoff game in one of their most loyal markets.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,372,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The NFL is really not any different than the NBA, NHL, etc. in that the corporations that spend the big dollars for ads and buy the club seats and suites get preferential treatment. One only needs to look at the allocation of Super Bowl tickets to see this. IMO, 65-70% of the tickets to the Super Bowl should be split among the teams playing in the game. I think right now it's less than 40%.

I am sure the Packers will find a way to get the needed amount of tickets sold. I could not believe the NFL would blackout a playoff game in one of their most loyal markets.
If 65-70% of tickets were allocated to the teams playing there would be a risk of the Super Bowl not selling out. Given the amount of travel, likely, to be involved that would probably be a hard sell.

The NFL has become too greedy. Too many commercials, merchandise is expensive and the cheapest tickets to a game are not cheap. If it weren't for the explosive growth of fantasy football and gambling, I don't think they'd have much to work with.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,088,811 times
The one that suprises me the most is the Packers. The Bengals, eh... not so much.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM

OK so I got called out in the Q & A comment section at Packers.com! This is what I get for writing in and commenting about season ticket holders. He says, I'm calling you out, Susie, 2 tickets to the game on Sunday!!! I have been fighting a sinus/bronchitis/asthma like thing since fall, I cannot sit out in the cold!!!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:56 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,446,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
If 65-70% of tickets were allocated to the teams playing there would be a risk of the Super Bowl not selling out. Given the amount of travel, likely, to be involved that would probably be a hard sell.
Not at all. They would sell out and fast.

Fans are still travelling and going to the SB - they are just doing it with the added cost of paying over $2,000 a seat to get into the stadium which is way over the face value of the tickets

The crazy demand that drives those prices up so high is primarily from the fans of the teams playing who have no other way to get tickets

Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,960,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Its unimaginable that teams don't sell out instantaneously for playoff games....
They did out here... Seattle tickets were sold out in minutes.

My friend had his phone, laptop and 2 iPads all on the ticketmaster website at 10am the other day and couldn't score a ticket.

King 5 news posted on facebook asking if anyone had gotten some tickets... it was that bad.

The bots won.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,446,778 times
Seattle had a really strong retention of season ticket holders buying in for the playoffs, this created a very limited availability - I think somewhere around 7,000 is the high water mark of tickets that went on sale to the public .... could have been fewer than that

Teams that don't have a full season ticket base are going to have more seats to move on short notice which is always tough ..... GB was surprising in that they had 40,000 tickets available to the public after the ST holder retention which initially seemed really odd, however it seems like the process for handling the playoff deposits was pretty goofy with them not offering refunds and only credits towards next season - I could totally see someone not thinking the team would go the playoffs and then just using that money for the holidays, especially since you have to buy tickets for any game you could host

Old 01-02-2014, 02:51 PM

So in the afternoon column, the headline reads "Susie can't go, Sam gets the tickets"! I really opened a hornets nest with that Q & A. I'll think twice next time. He didn't post where the Packers stand with the number of tickets, offering 2 to fans isn't going to help much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football