U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:52 PM

775 posts, read 651,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

There should be some type of reward for winning your division, and other than a home game, I don't know how else you change it....
division winners are already rewarded be getting in even with a bad record

letting an 8-7-1 Green Bay host over a far better SF team is going overboard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 12:58 PM

21,200 posts, read 30,396,116 times
I don't ever remember hearing such squawking about playoff seeding inbalances until this year when certain teams with better records face having to go on the road for the first game against a division champ with a worse record. Waaaahhh, get over it! This is nothing new and many other teams in the past have had similar scenarios. If you're as good as your record supposedly indicates, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,701,286 times
The reason they have two Monday games the first week is to give ESPN 17 Monday games, since they don't have on the last week of the season.

I agree with having teams coming off a bye play each other. Just have one division take a week off and then have a division game the next week.

And what's with the playoff schedule this week? Indy hosted an afternoon game indoors. Philly hosted one outside at night in the eastern time zone that ended just now at 11:21 PM. Those should have been switched.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
The playoff format changed to something much simpler...

... like the best record gets home games regardless of division status. That way teams like SF and AZ who are in the toughest division in football don't miss the playoffs or have to go on the road to play teams like GB and Philadelphia who got the benefit of a weak division. A division championship should guarantee a playoff berth, nothing more.

Will never happen... just sayin'...
The bolded parts contradict themselves. As you say, it will never happen because it is impossible. Can't have a team like Arizona make it to the playoffs this year and still say a division championship guarantees a playoff berth.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
The reason they have two Monday games the first week is to give ESPN 17 Monday games, since they don't have on the last week of the season.

I agree with having teams coming off a bye play each other. Just have one division take a week off and then have a division game the next week.

And what's with the playoff schedule this week? Indy hosted an afternoon game indoors. Philly hosted one outside at night in the eastern time zone that ended just now at 11:21 PM. Those should have been switched.
Regarding the last part of your statement, it has to do w ratings. Many more people want to tune into watching Brees and floes instead of Alex smith. That's why they showed philly in the evening

Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
You get your wish then since Detroit has to play an AFC team on Thanksgiving since they have the CBS game.
Yep, and it will be either Buffalo or Miami I believe. I know the Lions are an away game for the Bills next season. Hoping I can see them on Thanksgiving for the first time.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
For the people who want to change the policy, this is the biggest hurdle...

There should be some type of reward for winning your division, and other than a home game, I don't know how else you change it....
The reward is being guaranteed a playoff spot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football