Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times

Advertisements

What I would like to see:

1 No more Thursday night games, except for Thanksgiving and only then because it has been going on for a long time. The teams that play on Thursday have an unfair advantage over the teams they play next. Monday nights are a slight disadvantage to the team that has to face another team the following week, but not as great. Someone will say that they are professional players and should be able to handle the short week. Let their favorite team play Monday on one week and Thursday the next and we'll see how professionals can handle it.

2 Each bye week should have all the players from the same division off and then the following week those four teams play divisional games. Eliminate the unfair advantage a team has coming off a bye week.

What would you like to see changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:44 PM

365 posts, read 779,806 times
Detroit play someone other than Green Bay on Thanksgiving!

Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
The playoff format changed to something much simpler...

... like the best record gets home games regardless of division status. That way teams like SF and AZ who are in the toughest division in football don't miss the playoffs or have to go on the road to play teams like GB and Philadelphia who got the benefit of a weak division. A division championship should guarantee a playoff berth, nothing more.

Will never happen... just sayin'...

Old 01-02-2014, 02:12 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
I like your idea of the bye week schedule. I tried to find out what methodology is used and there doesn't appear to be one. Seems like a logical idea to have the same division off on the same week and then play each other the next week. I know scheduling is pretty complicated and maybe there is something this would mess up.

Thursday night games I like. More days to watch football is better as far as I'm concerned. If they could figure out a way to get games on Friday and Saturday that would be great.

One thing I'm not crazy about is having two games on that first Monday night. Not sure why that started that.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

... like the best record gets home games regardless of division status. That way teams like SF and AZ who are in the toughest division in football don't miss the playoffs or have to go on the road to play teams like GB and Philadelphia who got the benefit of a weak division. A division championship should guarantee a playoff berth, nothing more.

I like this. Still makes winning your division important because it gets you a spot, but takes the randomness out of winning a weak division and getting home field advantage over a team with a better record.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:14 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
What I would like to see:

1 No more Thursday night games, except for Thanksgiving and only then because it has been going on for a long time. The teams that play on Thursday have an unfair advantage over the teams they play next. Monday nights are a slight disadvantage to the team that has to face another team the following week, but not as great. Someone will say that they are professional players and should be able to handle the short week. Let their favorite team play Monday on one week and Thursday the next and we'll see how professionals can handle it.

2 Each bye week should have all the players from the same division off and then the following week those four teams play divisional games. Eliminate the unfair advantage a team has coming off a bye week.

What would you like to see changed?
Your post sounds good, I agree. I love to see Dan Snyder move his lousy team to LA, and rename the team Snyder's Stinkers.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I like this. Still makes winning your division important because it gets you a spot, but takes the randomness out of winning a weak division and getting home field advantage over a team with a better record.
Maybe I was wrong.

NFL to consider reseeding playoffs purely by record - NFL.com

Old 01-02-2014, 08:09 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
That is on the table along w the idea of expanding the season...

I might be in the minority but I like the idea of the importance of winning your division and rewarding them w a higher seed....

Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Plus some conference are just stronger often. you have to do more non conference games to make it equal. Its just as good the way it is.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:33 PM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay2bay View Post
Detroit play someone other than Green Bay on Thanksgiving!

You get your wish then since Detroit has to play an AFC team on Thanksgiving since they have the CBS game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football