U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 AM

2,772 posts, read 2,378,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Teammates struggle to connect with Cutler, a complicated, surly soul. Those who play alongside him suffer from his wrath and his moodiness and his strangeness...."
Strangeness???

I'm a Packers fan, but I really like Jay Cutler. He's a good QB & his teammates say he's an "awesome teammate". What more do you want? As fans we're listening too much to the Chicago media machine instead of his own teammates.

Chicago Bears teammates hope for Jay Cutler return in 2014 - ESPN Chicago

Most impressive about Cutler is that he's out there playing with type I diabetes, which is pretty incredible once you realize how much this impacts all areas of his life including his recovery from minor injuries. He discovered he had diabetes while playing in Denver & he didn't manage it well at first. Maybe this had something to do with his strangeness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM

513 posts, read 575,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Its not "126 million"...alot of that is fluff and might never get paid.....

He fulfilled his contract and probably would've gotten that or something close to what he's getting if he tested the free market...

Alot of fans don't understand the economics of the salary cap and how things work also w/the franchise tag.....

Who were the Bears going to get at a reasonable price that could possibly lead them deep into the playoffs?

I'd like to know from people who are highly critical of the deal.....lets hear it!

disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight because I'm not a bears fan or hater....just want to have a football conversation not based on emotion for once....
The point is he is getting paid like a top qb in the league and he is not one. There are a handful of qbs who are worth that much, just because those qbs have established that precedent does not mean Cutler is worth it as well.

Is there anyone better that they could sign at this point? Probably not, but they should have let him walk if he wanted to be paid that much. They could have resigned McCown to a cheap one year deal and look to draft their feature qb

Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,685,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
The point is he is getting paid like a top qb in the league and he is not one. There are a handful of qbs who are worth that much, just because those qbs have established that precedent does not mean Cutler is worth it as well.

Is there anyone better that they could sign at this point? Probably not, but they should have let him walk if he wanted to be paid that much. They could have resigned McCown to a cheap one year deal and look to draft their feature qb
Fair enough....you would rebuild through the draft to find yourself a QB.....

That is extremely risky as you know and you can lose 1-3 years easily doing that....w no guarantee the guy you draft will be any good.....

Point is, I don't think there's any perfect way...

Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,628,906 times
Quote:
Its not "126 million"...alot of that is fluff and might never get paid.....

He fulfilled his contract and probably would've gotten that or something close to what he's getting if he tested the free market...

Alot of fans don't understand the economics of the salary cap and how things work also w/the franchise tag.....

Who were the Bears going to get at a reasonable price that could possibly lead them deep into the playoffs?

I'd like to know from people who are highly critical of the deal.....lets hear it!

disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight because I'm not a bears fan or hater....just want to have a football conversation not based on emotion for once....
The team has more than a few holes that would prevent a "deep" run in the playoffs but, their backup QB was playing very very well and winning games. Not saying he's the long term solution, but with the holes they have in other areas of the field I'd been hard pressed not to give him a longer look and maybe draft a QB of the future. As it stands right now you just sunk a ton of money into a QB who likely will not lead you far at all, historically speaking.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Fair enough....you would rebuild through the draft to find yourself a QB.....

That is extremely risky as you know and you can lose 1-3 years easily doing that....w no guarantee the guy you draft will be any good.....

Point is, I don't think there's any perfect way...
True, but they are also tied to Cutler now. Paying him like a top3-5 qb. When he is borderline top 10 imo. When the contracts of Jeffrey, Marshall, and Forte are up they are more than likely going to have to let at least one go now

Do you think he is as good as Rodgers, Brady, or Manning? I'm sure you do not, which is just why I do not understand paying him close to the same amount. Romo got the same thing and it makes no sense to me. Flacco is somewhat understandable because he was coming off an amazing playoff run.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 AM

5,305 posts, read 2,704,704 times
The NFL is such a money making machine that it is very difficult to compare players contracts from one year to the next. Today Cutler is a top paid QB but by the time his contract is up it might very well be more of a mid tiered contract. Regardless, I think resigning him was the right decision and by no means am I a Cutler fanatic.

Fact, we were one of the top offenses in the league. If we had a defense that gave up only 27 points a game instead of 30 we probably would have won two or three more games this year. Is anyone really going to argue that our offensive production was inadequate this year at almost 4 touchdowns per game and second in the whole league to only the Broncos?! What decent GM would blow that up and start over? Yah, Cutler has his issues but don't let your hatred of him blind you.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 01-03-2014 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
The NFL is such a money making machine that it is very difficult to compare players contracts from one year to the next. Today Cutler is a top paid QB but by the time his contract is up it might very well be more of a mid tiered contract. Regardless, I think resigning him was the right decision and by no means am I a Cutler fanatic. Fact, we were one of the top offenses in the league. If we had a defense that gave up only 27 points a game instead of 30 we probably would have won two or three more games this year. Is anyone really going to argue that our offensive production was inadequate this year??
The offense production was not inadequate. However, it did not really suffer much with Cutler out anyway. I think they could have found a cheaper alternative. The offense is also stacked. Outside of Denver and a healthy NO team, I cannot think of anyone with better offensive weapons.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
The offense production was not inadequate. However, it did not really suffer much with Cutler out anyway. I think they could have found a cheaper alternative. The offense is also stacked. Outside of Denver and a healthy NO team, I cannot think of anyone with better offensive weapons.
Yah, they COULD have gambled to get a cheaper alternative. And who is this cheaper but BETTER alternative out there? I'd love to know.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 AM

Said cheaper, not better. He is getting paid way beyond his value. I do not think that is even debatable. The argument of who is better right now is useless. As I said, I think they should have given a cheap one year deal to McCown and look through the draft.

They are paying a middle of the pack qb like a top 3 guy. Makes no sense. We will see how it works out when they cannot afford to sign their other offensive guys they have now.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Why would we go that route? Cheaper alternative? If that is your main objective than you could stick almost anyone in that position and pay them less. If your objective is to find someone that is currently available, fits well in the Bears system and will produce the best offensive production for the forseeable future then Cutler is your guy. McCown is good to but he isn't the future. Starting him for a year and then blowing it all up and gambling on a rookie makes less sense to me than going with what we know Cutler can do in this offense. Two years from now who is to say the other elements of our offense will still be intact even if we find a good rookie QB at that time? Maybe the financial elements of the deal aren't perfect, maybe they are, but resigning Cutler was the right thing to do. I just wonder how many people have a personal dislike of Cutler more than a professional one. The D is the issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or