U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,748,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think Jerry was asked a question and he answered it. big deal.. He is NOT alone within the NFL owners concerning playoff expansion.

Its not about changing the rules so the Cowboys can reach the playoffs, it is about making more money for the NFL. I would be first in line to criticize Jerry for some of his GM moves, but this is not something he should be criticized for... unless of course you are one of those who thinks Jerry and the rest of the NFL should stop worrying about ways to improve the game or making more money for the league..
I have no problem for the NFL trying to make more money if it passes the litmus test for BOTH issues below in my eyes..

1. Does it benefit the fans?
2. Does it benefit the players?

I think 1 you can say yes (except for the purists out there who think it should be difficult to make the playoffs...no one wants to see a hockey type scenerio where everyone and their brother makes the playoffs)....

however 2, it definitely hurts the players in terms of their physical well being...the schedule is brutal enough on players bodies...do you guys want more injuries? Aren't there enough players going down?

So, I am against it because it doesn't pass #2 and questionable on #1.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM

5,755 posts, read 4,294,610 times
Its not unprecedented. The league put 8 teams in the playoffs from each conference back in '82 after the strike season. It didn't hurt the game at all and I certainly think it benefited the fans. Of course, the players only played 9 regular season games that year so they certainly were not opposed to it.

The only concern I have is the 18 game schedule which appears inevitable. If you go to 18, I don't think you should expand the playoffs. Some may see it as a can't have one without the other but I think you can and likely will see one without the other. The owners want more money, in order to do that they need to have more games.. ie that comes from 18 game schedule or expanded playoffs or BOTH. I would prefer 18 games over expanded playoffs or both..

Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,748,869 times
Quote:
Its not unprecedented. The league put 8 teams in the playoffs from each conference back in '82 after the strike season. It didn't hurt the game at all and I certainly think it benefited the fans. Of course, the players only played 9 regular season games that year so they certainly were not opposed to it.
Comparing the '82 season to now is totally different. Like you said they only played 9 regular season games so the season was extra short...they had to expand that year to somewhat balance out the missing regular season games!

Quote:
The only concern I have is the 18 game schedule which appears inevitable. If you go to 18, I don't think you should expand the playoffs. Some may see it as a can't have one without the other but I think you can and likely will see one without the other. The owners want more money, in order to do that they need to have more games.. ie that comes from 18 game schedule or expanded playoffs or BOTH. I would prefer 18 games over expanded playoffs or both..
If you had a gun to my head I would rather have expanded playoffs vs. the extra 2 games....

In general, I am opposed to the whole idea...

I'm kind of like the instant replay and 'overturning' what we have now....you have to give me 'irrefutible evidence' that it'll work better!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 AM

But just like instant replay, irrefutable evidence is also viewer discretion, ie everyone has their own idea about what's better or not..

Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM

109 posts, read 275,041 times
Cowgirls would need 11+4 players on the field to beat the other teams LOL

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,022,418 times
With all the grandstanding about "player safety" going on and the crackdown on big hits, if I here another one of these rich dudes up in the box talk about adding more games to what is already an extremely physically destructive sports, my head is going to explode.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 AM

9,597 posts, read 8,976,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
With all the grandstanding about "player safety" going on and the crackdown on big hits, if I here another one of these rich dudes up in the box talk about adding more games to what is already an extremely physically destructive sports, my head is going to explode.
But why can't teams regulate the playing time players get in games? Do major league pitchers pitch every day? No...they could but they don't due to limitations physically. The same thing should apply in football..season can be longer by AT LEAST 2 games if players are given proper rests. . Heck most teams have 2 and 3 main rb's now anyway. As for QB..up to you..what says you cant start your second guy a couple games? ..cmon folks , think outside the box!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,022,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
But why can't teams regulate the playing time players get in games? Do major league pitchers pitch every day? No...they could but they don't due to limitations physically. The same thing should apply in football..season can be longer by AT LEAST 2 games if players are given proper rests. . Heck most teams have 2 and 3 main rb's now anyway. As for QB..up to you..what says you cant start your second guy a couple games? ..cmon folks , think outside the box!
That would work if the NFL was like the EPL: Unlimited roster spaces, no salary cap and no draft. But it isn't, and as such added games would only see the quality of play deteriorate as obscure backups have at each other (there aren't even really enough good starting qb's to go along, do you really want to see the benchwarmers getting more reps?)

Old 01-09-2014, 12:48 PM

9,597 posts, read 8,976,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
That would work if the NFL was like the EPL: Unlimited roster spaces, no salary cap and no draft. But it isn't, and as such added games would only see the quality of play deteriorate as obscure backups have at each other (there aren't even really enough good starting qb's to go along, do you really want to see the benchwarmers getting more reps?)
Why cant roster spaces increase? More revenue for more games means owners will have more to spend on players.. I don't buy the quality of play thing a bit. You would not play a full second team at the same time. It would take imagination to figure out where to play and hide weaker players.... Make your scouting team and drafting so much more important than it already is.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:28 PM

Well, i think ACTIVE roster expansion is a given if the schedule is increased to 18 games like i think it will be.. probably 3 to 5 more ACTIVE players on each roster.. per game. Keep in mind that there are 53 players on the roster yet only 45 can be active. They could simply increase the Active roster without actually increasing the number of players getting paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or