U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 PM

10,701 posts, read 11,105,431 times

Advertisements

Go figure. Coming from a guy whose team was eliminated the last week of the season three years in a row, this really doesn't surprise me. (FWIW, the Cowboys would have missed the playoffs this year even with 8 NFC playoff seeds.)

I personally am adamantly opposed to the additional playoff teams. I like the way the league rewards the highest seeded teams with playoff bye weeks, even though few of those teams actually go on to win the Super Bowl. I like the way some wild card teams can be 12-4 but have to play on the road against a division leader that is 8-7-1.

I think the additional playoff teams would really take a toll on the quality of the playoffs. I think there would be a lot more 8-8 teams in the playoffs (this year there would have been three teams in at 8-8). An 8-8 team in the playoffs once in a while is fine, but every season...not so much. I like that most teams in the playoffs are 9-7 or better every year. On the other side of the coin is you would almost never see a team like the Cardinals this year go 10-6 and miss out, so that's an argument.

What are your thoughts?

Jerry Jones of Dallas Cowboys in favor of expanding NFL playoffs - ESPN Dallas

Old 01-04-2014, 04:11 PM

7,242 posts, read 6,478,035 times
We don't need more losing teams making it to the playoffs, in my opinion. All that does is ups the random chance element of some team getting lucky and becoming hot at just the right time. Teams that end up 11-3 and get some injuries at the end of the season should get rewarded for having a good record.

More often than not, it's the team that gets hot at just the right time that can go all the way, regardless of their regular season record. More playoff teams just diminishes the value of the regular season to me.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:15 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,194,434 times
Just STOP giving this man attention...

Geez.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:18 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,805,910 times
I read something that said if they did the last ten years only a few of the additional teams would have had a winning record. The vast majority would have been 8-8 or worse. Let's not make the NFL like the NBA or the NHL where the regular season is a joke.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:20 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,959,839 times
Leave the playoffs as is... 6 teams from each conference is plenty. This isn't the NBA and NHL.

I am not in favor of weak division winners hosting teams with better records. As I said in the other thread a division championship should guarantee a playoff berth and nothing more.

Seed the teams based on record. The NFC South had 2 teams with 10 wins and the NFC West had 3... one of which missed the playoffs. The NFC North and East were mediocre... and got rewarded with a home playoff game over better teams.

The Cardinals missing the playoffs is their reward for playing in the best division in football. It's not right but not much can be done about it short of adding more playoff teams. This isn't an every year thing (2 teams previously won 11 games and missed playoffs) so I say leave it.

The only way to fix that would be to get rid of the divisions and just have 2 conferences with the top 6 teams making the playoffs. Then we wouldn't see mediocre division winners. It would never happen but I'd be in favor of it. In the end you want to see the best teams competing for the championship... and the Cardinals are better than both the Eagles and Packers but are playing golf because they are in a division with the Seahawks, 49ers, and Rams.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,839,418 times
Every team gets 16 games & 17 weeks to get the honor of competing for the Superbowl. If you can't get in shut the fuqq up. Stupid Cowboy fans I swear they just sux & the city of Dallas sux to. Jerry have a stroke already man.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Kees, I only partially agree with your take. I actually like the way the playoff seeds work, even if it means a team with a better record traveling to play a division winner with a lessor record. The NFL should not be respecters of divisions and should reward division winners by letting them play in front of their own fans at least once in the playoffs. Divisions ebb and flow. You mention the Cardinals reward for playing in a tough division, but last time I checked, that division is just a few years removed from a 7-9 division winner.

Expanded playoffs would not mean more mediocre division winners, either. But it would greatly increase the likelihood that a mediocre team reached the playoffs on a yearly basis.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:19 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,959,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Kees, I only partially agree with your take. I actually like the way the playoff seeds work, even if it means a team with a better record traveling to play a division winner with a lessor record. The NFL should not be respecters of divisions and should reward division winners by letting them play in front of their own fans at least once in the playoffs. Divisions ebb and flow. You mention the Cardinals reward for playing in a tough division, but last time I checked, that division is just a few years removed from a 7-9 division winner.

Expanded playoffs would not mean more mediocre division winners, either. But it would greatly increase the likelihood that a mediocre team reached the playoffs on a yearly basis.
... and that's why I'm not in favor of expanding the playoffs.

I am in favor of seeding the teams based on record. It's all about home field advantage right? That's why the best record in the conference actually means something. It should also apply to all the other games too.

Nobody cares about a 7-9 division winner from 3 years ago... The Saints should have hosted the Seahawks in that game too. Give the home game to the team with the best record. It's all about winning the most games... not winning a craptastic division.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
... and that's why I'm not in favor of expanding the playoffs.

I am in favor of seeding the teams based on record. It's all about home field advantage right? That's why the best record in the conference actually means something. It should also apply to all the other games too.

Nobody cares about a 7-9 division winner from 3 years ago... The Saints should have hosted the Seahawks in that game too. Give the home game to the team with the best record. It's all about winning the most games... not winning a craptastic division.
Every team in the league had 16 games (read: Chances) to win enough to reach the playoffs. Every wild card team had 16 chances to be the division winner for its division. Every wild card team had 2 chances to knock off whatever team won its division.

Just because a 9-7 team hosts a 10-6 team in the playoffs doesn't mean the formula is flawed. The league rewards division winners, otherwise it's a bit pointless to even have divisions.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:44 PM

293 posts, read 377,270 times
He has to protect his Romo investment and Dallas needs to somehow make the playoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or