U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:58 AM

113 posts, read 127,668 times

Advertisements

I think it will be Denver vs. SF

I want it to be NE vs Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM

368 posts, read 308,244 times
New England 41 - Denver 31
Seattle 19 - San Francisco 16

Two completely different types of games.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:50 PM

10,690 posts, read 11,095,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
New England 41 - Denver 31
Seattle 19 - San Francisco 16

Two completely different types of games.
This raises a very good point. The Broncos and Patriots are both similar teams going into their tilt. The same can be said about the Seahawks and 49ers. Regardless of who wins this weekend we are going to see an interesting Super Bowl between two very different styles of play. The league could not have drawn this up any better even if it were rigged!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:29 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,614 times
I will wait to find out more about the IR before making my picks in the Seattle-SF game. If Harvin's healthy, it's gonna be really, really close in that game, with possibly a slight edge going to Seattle, despite all of my trash talking of their gum-chewing coach. Right now, I'm leaning SF 17-13. But if Harvy's back, then that might be an equalizer. What made Sea-Tac so good was not just their defense but also their ability to make plays on offense. The offense has lost that over the last half of the season, but a health Harvin might give them the deep ball threat that they've needed.

AFC's no longer a lock now that Denver's no. 2 tackler's out of commission - I guess San Diego brought in Cobra Kai as their defensive coordinator, eh? "Sweep the leg, you gotta problem with that?!" lol!

I don't think it matters, though. I think Denver has gotten to this point by having an absolutely insane offensive attack that can only be stopped by the league's elite defenses, and the only two defenses that can really keep them off the boards play in the NFC. San Diego's defense is better than NE's, and even then, they gave up about 24 points. I'll take Denver 28 - 24.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:07 PM

626 posts, read 762,203 times
Denver 38 - New England 28
San Francisco 31 - Seattle 27

I am a Chiefs fan, and I only hope New England can somehow win this game, but let's be honest. Denver has way too many weapons on offense. Peyton Manning is having a career year (NFL record 55 TD and NFL records 5,477 yards) and Denver now has the NFL record for points scored by a team (606 points). Denver has Demarius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, Jacob Tamme. Even if Von Miller can't play due to injury, Denver's defense is still good.

Without Rob Gronkowski, the Patriots lost last year's AFC title game against Baltimore. Rob Gronkowski is AWOL again! Don't forget Wes Welker was on that Patriots team that lost last year. Now Wes Welker is on the Broncos side.

I think San Francisco will pull off the upset against Seattle. I think the 49ers defense will be the difference in this game. I think Jim Harbaugh, Colin Kapernick, Frank Gore, and especially the San Francisco defense will send the 49ers back to the Super Bowl.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,174,339 times
Greatest Pats comeback ever was against the Broncos. Lets hope it happens again. Go Pats, a W to the superbowl. Who's with me .

The Greatest Comeback In New England Patriots History

Old 01-17-2014, 02:19 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,614 times
Okay, here are my final picks:

Denver vs. New England. I think that the Patriots should test the run defense of Denver with LaGarrett Blount. If they can run the ball successfully and not turn the ball over, they'll be able to avoid going down early the way that they did in the first contest. More importantly, they'll keep Manning off the field. I think that strategy will work in the first half, but it's probably much less likely to work for four quarters. Denver's not a great defense, but I think they're capable of making adjustments and slowing teams down over the course of a game. If New England had a more explosive passing attack, I would worry, but I don't think Denver has to be great defensively; they just have to make enough big plays on third downs to either kill drives or make NE settle for field goals. Of course Bellichick is definitely one to go for it on 4th so they'll have to factor that in their plans to some degree. I think it'll be a competitive game, but Denver will take control of it late and pull away. Denver 34-27.

San Francisco vs. Seattle. I think the key will be how the 49ers weather the storm. There will be two or three potentially momentous events during the game -- a turnover, a sack deep in their own territory, a bad punt or something along those lines. The key is whether SF can remain steady and ride it out. I think they can, but who knows? This could be the game where it unravels. As for Seattle, I think they're probably going to have to go without Harvin, and that's going to limit their offensive capabilities. Golden Tate isn't going to get separation on anyone, so the 49ers can afford to play a little more aggressively against the run. I would still use Lynch to pound the ball, though. He's going to get 3-4 yards per carry and occasionally 10 or more. I think that the 49ers might fall into some early trouble, but as long as they don't fall behind by two touchdowns, they'll be fine. Kaepernick has gotten away with some bad throws, but he won't be able to this week, so that'll be something to watch. Still, I like the 49ers to make more big plays than the Seahawks down the stretch. San Francisco 19-16.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM

558 posts, read 871,851 times
I want Niners and Broncos with the Niners taking the trophy....but realistically I see it being Seattle and Denver with Denver taking.
Broncos have been insane this year and just highly entertaining to watch! I don't think New England has overall what it takes to beat them.
Seahawks at home, with that crazy crowd-we all seen Rivers getting p!ssed and losing plays because he and his center couldn't hear anything over the crowd.
Hopefully SF comes out first half more charged up than last game, they looked slow that first half.
Go Niners!!!
Whatever happens sunday it will be 2 great games and the super bowl will be too, so I'm happy however it goes because they are all excellent teams.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,794,319 times
Seahawks against the Pats..

Brady and company advance to another super bowl and Win against their ex coach.. As a New England fan this team
reminds me of the 2001 team; a bunch of no names with a serious chip on their shoulder..Love the young players
stepping it up for the Pat's after losing 2 captains for the year and Gronk... Karma baby..

No matter what, we should be in for some GOOD football this weekend!

Go Pats!!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM

368 posts, read 802,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Okay, here are my final picks:

San Francisco vs. Seattle. I think the key will be how the 49ers weather the storm. There will be two or three potentially momentous events during the game -- a turnover, a sack deep in their own territory, a bad punt or something along those lines. The key is whether SF can remain steady and ride it out. I think they can, but who knows? This could be the game where it unravels.

SF has played 2 tough, physical games on the road, maybe this is the week that it catches up with them? A road game at CenturyLink is vastly different than playing in Charlotte, or even on the frozen tundra.

As for Seattle, I think they're probably going to have to go without Harvin, and that's going to limit their offensive capabilities.

Seattle is 14-3 without Harvin playing much. Tate and Baldwin have done fine so far, and the SF secondary is good, but not remarkable.

Golden Tate isn't going to get separation on anyone, so the 49ers can afford to play a little more aggressively against the run. I would still use Lynch to pound the ball, though. He's going to get 3-4 yards per carry and occasionally 10 or more. I think that the 49ers might fall into some early trouble, but as long as they don't fall behind by two touchdowns, they'll be fine. Kaepernick has gotten away with some bad throws, but he won't be able to this week, so that'll be something to watch.

Seattle has to stop Frank Gore, and then get pressure on Kaepernick and force him into some bad throws that can be picked. He's not going to run against Seattle like he did in GB.

Still, I like the 49ers to make more big plays than the Seahawks down the stretch. San Francisco 19-16.
Seattle 24-20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football