U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:00 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times

Advertisements

Peyton's performance had more to do with the Seahawks dominant defense than himself. Folks forget, or perhaps were not even alive to know that John Elway had 3 similar performances in Super Bowls during the 80s. That was not a knock on Elway but the team he was playing for .. they were just over matched.. but that didn't stop folks from calling Elway a choker at least until he eventually won 2 Super Bowls with a better Broncos team about 10 years later..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
Good point, look at Dan Marino, too, plenty of examples, what about Buffalo losing 4 times in a row, wasn't Kelly pretty good?

Old 02-03-2014, 08:52 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Good point, look at Dan Marino, too, plenty of examples, what about Buffalo losing 4 times in a row, wasn't Kelly pretty good?
Kelly was great, HOF in fact but he was a product of a system more than anything. I don't put him on the same level as Marino or Favre or even Manning but certainly a HOF caliber QB running a great system. The Bills were just great at the wrong time. If that make sense. Sometimes you have to peak at the right time. For instance, had the Bills peaked when the NFC was down then perhaps they win 4 Super Bowls in a row and Jim Kelly is the Greatest QB of all time! Who knows.. just bad luck I guess.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:17 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,768,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Peyton's performance had more to do with the Seahawks dominant defense than himself. Folks forget, or perhaps were not even alive to know that John Elway had 3 similar performances in Super Bowls during the 80s. That was not a knock on Elway but the team he was playing for .. they were just over matched.. but that didn't stop folks from calling Elway a choker at least until he eventually won 2 Super Bowls with a better Broncos team about 10 years later..
So your just gonna excuse away that he played bad. This is the problem when he wins he gets all praise and glory as he should but when he loses someone else was the reason he lost. I think it does hurt his legacy a little bit he is still up there in top 5 QB's he will not really fall but he wil not pass Brady or Montana.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,337,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
So your just gonna excuse away that he played bad. This is the problem when he wins he gets all praise and glory as he should but when he loses someone else was the reason he lost. I think it does hurt his legacy a little bit he is still up there in top 5 QB's he will not really fall but he wil not pass Brady or Montana.
Truth is, when he wins, it could be a choke by the team he beats. All the high praise could be wrong to the extent the other team didn't play the best game. But you gotta stick with the narrative. Seems like that's all anybody wants to hear. Well, except for the people who point out the commonness with which Peyton chokes in postseason.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 PM

2,532 posts, read 4,956,496 times
Sorry, but Peyton is 1 - 2 in the Super Bowls and 11 - 12 in the postseason. He is a great quarterback, but not in the class of Tom Brady or Joe Montana....

Old 02-07-2014, 03:43 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
These arguments get so old and using just the SB wins or postseason to me doesn't cut it. I think he is every bit as good as Tom Brady, I don't care who wins how ever many super bowls.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
These arguments get so old and using just the SB wins or postseason to me doesn't cut it. I think he is every bit as good as Tom Brady, I don't care who wins how ever many super bowls.
And that will be the response of diehard Peyton fans. Just hope they can handle the skepticism of everyone who isn't.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 AM

368 posts, read 307,739 times
I was in a survivor & pick 'em league on Yahoo and I remember this number carefully: 72% of voters picked Denver to win the Super Bowl. That number shocked me. Maybe Sherman played a part in that; some otherwise neutral fans might have sided with the Broncos just because they didn't want to see "him" win. But it is an unwritten rule that you always take the #1 defense over the #1 offense. Did nobody learn from XXXVII? Oakland was favored by 4 going into that one just like Denver was favored, and just like Seattle, a defensive player won game MVP for Tampa Bay.

I'm not apologizing for Denver but those who blindly criticize Peyton seem to be getting a slide from the masses where the apologists have been getting grilled. Peyton deserves his due. He had two masterful performances against two teams that dominated him in the regular season. The Patriots and Chargers (in Denver) had their way with him but the second time around, in playoff games where people say he is horrible, he played extremely well. According to many, Denver was supposed to lose the first game by default because of Peyton. Look at the 3rd down pass he made to clinch the game against San Diego. How many other coaches in the league would even dare to let their quarterback attempt that pass Manning threw to Thomas on a 3rd and 17 situation? Most would be happy to take a 5 yard gain on the ground and make San Diego burn a second timeout.

But when I see statements like these:

"Tebow would have won the game for Denver."
"St. Louis > Denver because they were more competitive against the champs."

That ticks me off.

And prior to the Super Bowl, one person told me that Denver better win because even the "lowly Texans" took Seattle to overtime and if they could come that close to a win against Seattle, anyone else in the league should be able to do it. It's not about team versus team necessarily, it's about style. How one STYLE matches up with another. Just because one team is 13-3 and another is 2-14, that doesn't mean that the 13 win team automatically has a better chance to win against a common opponent.

Last edited by UconnHuskies630; 02-08-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-08-2014, 12:00 PM

Just took a look at box scores. A repeated phrase about Peyton is all the "weapons' he has. Truth is that Russell completed passes to as many or more players. Peyton favored Demaryus Thomas over and over. I guess he must have been most successful at escaping coverage. My thought though is if its that unbalanced, the counting Peyton's weapons is deceptive. They are ineffective if he can't get much to them. The other thing I noticed was that Denver had 4 turnovers both in preseason and the Super Bowl. They seemed to save their sloppiest game for Seattle. Harmless in the preseason, but deadly in the Super Bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or