U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
 
513 posts, read 576,517 times
Reputation: 362

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
He had a reputation has a defensive genius and I feel he can't be considered that anymore since he lost to the same QB twice in the biggest game of the year. A QB who has missed the playoffs the past 2 years for poor play and a high interception total in the 2013 season.
So it would be better if he missed the playoffs entirely years in a row like Parcells? Making it to the sb is a greater feat than not making it or losing in the playoffs, as much as it may sting to lose a superbowl. You cannot base an entire career on two games. I can guarantee you if I had the time I could find a scrub qb much worst than Manning that beat a Parcells coached team.

I also like your argument of Parcells "won" everywhere. Won what exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,494,059 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
So it would be better if he missed the playoffs entirely years in a row like Parcells? Making it to the sb is a greater feat than not making it or losing in the playoffs, as much as it may sting to lose a superbowl. You cannot base an entire career on two games. I can guarantee you if I had the time I could find a scrub qb much worst than Manning that beat a Parcells coached team.

I also like your argument of Parcells "won" everywhere. Won what exactly?

Not just those 2 games, I think his legacy as a coach started to go down after the 2007 season. Had he won one more SB after spygate then he would have been legit but it seems like after the whole spygate thing they could not win another SB. Maybe he needs better coordinators on his staff because that was some awful play calling on both sides of the ball yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 04:59 PM
 
513 posts, read 576,517 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Not just those 2 games, I think his legacy as a coach started to go down after the 2007 season. Had he won one more SB after spygate then he would have been legit but it seems like after the whole spygate thing they could not win another SB. Maybe he needs better coordinators on his staff because that was some awful play calling on both sides of the ball yesterday.
Yes, clearly his filming from the wrong location makes him not "legit". How come Parcells does not get blamed for not winning a superbowl in his last 11 years of coaching? Maybe Parcells needed better coordinators because that was some awful play calling on both sides of the ball. In fact, Parcells sported a 3-5 record in the playoffs after leaving the Giants and never won another superbowl. Ah yes, i forgot though, Parcells is better because he "won everywhere".

Last edited by J.M.M; 01-20-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,899,922 times
Reputation: 2786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Parcells is clearly better and it's not even up for debate. Bill has won at every place he coached unlike Belechick who had a horrible coaching career with the Browns.
What did Parcells win in Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,494,059 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
What did Parcells win in Dallas?
Did he not go to the playoffs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 05:53 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,899,922 times
Reputation: 2786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Did he not go to the playoffs?
Never made the Super Bowl, never made the conference title game, he never won a playoff game.

By that logic, Belichick made the playoffs in Cleveland, so he "won" there.




Both are great coaches and should be considered two of the best over the last 25 years in the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 05:54 PM
 
513 posts, read 576,517 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
Did he not go to the playoffs?
Have some consistency man. If thats all it takes, than BB "won" in Cleveland. In fact he won more playoff games in CLE than Parcells did in Dallas. This is getting too easy to call you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,494,059 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Never made the Super Bowl, never made the conference title game, he never won a playoff game.

By that logic, Belichick made the playoffs in Cleveland, so he "won" there.




Both are great coaches and should be considered two of the best over the last 25 years in the NFL.


I still like Parcells better for the way he changed the Cowboys franchise around in 2003.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,899,922 times
Reputation: 2786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I still like Parcells better for the way he changed the Cowboys franchise around in 2003.
He went 34-30 in 4 season and never won a playoff game. They never won a divisional title either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,314,543 times
Reputation: 37488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Would someone please explain to me why Bill Belichick is considered to be a better coach than Parcels? I always thought that Bill Parcels was just brilliant. I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions.
Well, obviously, more Super Bowls (five, tied for second all-time) and Super Bowl wins (three, also tied for second all-time).

There's the consistency - 13 consecutive winning seasons and counting. That's the 6th longest streak in NFL history by franchise, and the longest in the era of free agency and the salary cap, when talent can't just be stockpiled. It is extremely difficult to win every single year. And Belichek does it repeatedly by scrounging talent, or squeezing a year or two out of players everyone else thought was washed up.

There's 2007. Super Bowl champions or not, the 18-0 start (not to mention the highest scoring offense ever at the time) is a monumental achievement.

There's the postseason wins, 19, tied for second all-time just one behind Landry's 20.

There's the wins, period, 199, good for seventh place all-time and just one behind Schottenheimer. And there's the 199 wins compared to 172 wins plus a tie for Parcells - in only one more total game coached (that's a .665 winning percentage to Parcells' .570, regular season - and, yeah, Belichek's postseason percentage widens the margin).

Oh, and about that second Super Bowl ring Parcells won? The defensive game plan for that game is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That plan was defensive coordinator Belichek's game plan - and he was also the defensive coordinator in 1986 when the Giants beat Denver in the Super Bowl.

You asked why.

That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top