Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win?
Seattle Seahawks! 36 39.13%
Denver Broncos! 56 60.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,043,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush99 View Post
You need weapons to play against the Broncos....the depleted #26 ranked defense of the Pats were no match.

With all the key players the Pats lost on offense and defense they made it to the AFC championship......shows you how weak the AFC is.
The NFC is ahead on the AFC in non conference games, but the record for the season is 34-30. That's not very definitive. The respective divisions: Seahawks 13-3, Broncos 11-5, in non conference games. Only a slight edge to Seahawks in the records against other the conference.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,043,781 times
Quote:
yes, the Ravens 2000 defense was one of the best defenses in NFL history.

How did the refs spotted the Hawks 7 points?
Read post 121 in this thread again.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,016,549 times
Neutral fan here... Broncos all the way, thank to Richard Sherman!!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,930,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
San Diego I'll give you, but the Patriots? Really?

Tom Brady is right up there with Peyton and others in the GOAT conversation, but, to call the Patriots offense "potent" is a Stretch. They are very good, but they were by no means potent in the AFC CG.

Gronk missed half the season, and still finished #3 in receiving yards, less than 100 yds behind #2. Once Denver botttled up Blount it was over.
Yes, the Patriots have (had) a potent offense. They were the second highest scoring team in the AFC, I believe tied for third in the league. Brady had over 4300 passing yards, and Blount was riding a 3 game streak in which he had gained 430 or so yards on the ground. He got 6 in the contest with the Broncos. The Patriots may not have had the explosive offense they had last season or the year before, but it was still pretty darn good. Better than the Seahawks offense.

Quote:
shutdown???? Chargers scored 17 and the Pats 16, I hardly call that shutouts.
Words mean things, skippy. Shut down in sports generally refers to being able to control the game in a decisive manner. Shutout is to hold an opponent scoreless. Go back and see if you can figure out which on I used and then you'll know why you just made yourself look silly.

For what it's worth, the Chargers were riding a 5 game wave averaging 28.8 PPG and were held scoreless (that would be shutout) until the Broncos lost Chris Harris, who had locked K. Allen out of the game. Rivers was able to exploit Harris' replacement. This is not just my opinion: it has been well documented by numerous sports analysts and even Rivers himself acknowledged the Broncos losing Harris opened up some opportunities. To hold the Chargers to 17 was pretty impressive.

The Patriots were riding a 5 game wave averaging 33 PPG. The Broncos held them to 3 points before going into a prevent. The majority of the Patriots yards gained and 13 of the points they scored came with the Broncos in the prevent. I think most people who watched that game and have a shred of football IQ would say the Broncos defense shut down the Patriots offense. Holding that offense to 16 would have been a solid accomplishment even if they hadn't scored the majority of their points against a prevent.

Quote:
Broncos max score was 26 points.
Right. But we're talking about defense, so...what's your point?

But I'll indulge you because I think you probably just looked at the scores and didn't actually watch the games. Look at the box scores at TOP in both the Broncos playoff games. It's at 35+ minutes per game. The Broncos played ball control offense, which results in fewer opportunities to score. This is basic football knowledge, not rocket science. The Broncos had two scoring drives against the Patriots that both took over 7 minutes. One of them went 95 or so yards. So you can't just look at the point totals and assume it tells the whole story.

[quote=Rush99;33108023]
are the Broncos defense in the same league as the 49ers?.........[/QUOTE/

Yes. It's called the National Football League.

Quote:
if Seattle scored 23 points on the 49ers, what makes you think they can't score 23 or more on the Broncos defense?....especially with Percy Harvin playing in the S.B.
I have never once claimed the Seahawks couldn't score 23 on the Broncos. I said it is reasonable to believe the Broncos can control that Seahawks offense after seeing the way they have put the lid on their past four opponents, including the Chargers and Patriots, both better offenses than the Broncos.

It's funny how you'll ask me this, but you won't ask yourself if the 49ers can score 17 on the Seahawks defense with the Seahawks playing at home, what evidence do you have to suggest the Broncos, a FAR better offense than the 49ers, can't score more than 17 on a neutral field?

(FWIW: This line of questioning is inherently flawed. Every game takes on its own dynamic. You can't just look at two team's performances against other opponents and based on comparisons to those opponents draw conclusions about a head to head matchup. The league doesn't work that way. I ask you this question because this simplistic level of football analysis seems to be where you are stuck, and I am taking your points at face value and asking if you've considered the other side to your own argument.)

Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 AM

872 posts, read 1,704,741 times
Seahawks win this one by ten. If this game was played in a dome I'd go with Denver however. If Seattle can just put some pressure on Manning(like touch his jersey every so often) and force him out of the pocket they can win. As great as Manning is he is an incredibly slow QB and he gets frustrated VERY easily. And for all the talk about injuries, the Broncos didn't have it nearly as bad as the Patriots, not even close. Chargers had many more significant injuries than the Broncos.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
Seahawks win this one by ten. If this game was played in a dome I'd go with Denver however. If Seattle can just put some pressure on Manning(like touch his jersey every so often) and force him out of the pocket they can win. As great as Manning is he is an incredibly slow QB and he gets frustrated VERY easily. And for all the talk about injuries, the Broncos didn't have it nearly as bad as the Patriots, not even close. Chargers had many more significant injuries than the Broncos.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM

6,327 posts, read 3,574,153 times
I'd say Massachusetts and the Pacific North West will be the only areas in the country overwhelmingly routing for the Seahawks.

I think this game will be very similar to the Giants and Patirots match-ups we have seen in the super bowls. I would expect a low scoring game. Winning team will probably have 20 points. Definitely bet the under.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'd say Massachusetts and the Pacific North West will be the only areas in the country overwhelmingly routing for the Seahawks.

I think this game will be very similar to the Giants and Patirots match-ups we have seen in the super bowls. I would expect a low scoring game. Winning team will probably have 20 points. Definitely bet the under.
That is one of the best things about the league's best defense lining up against the league's best offense. Plus it's the first time in a long time that we're seeing both conferences #1 seeds square off. Both teams finished the regular season 13-3.

I am a diehard Broncos fans, but I have always liked the Seahawks after they moved back to the NFC. That move has been good for them, too. They have made the playoffs 8 times in their 12 seasons since returning to the NFC. That includes 2 Super Bowl appearances. Compare that to one playoff appearance (20-17 loss to Dolphins) in their last 10 years in the AFC.

As for the Broncos, they are just three seasons removed from a franchise worst 4-12 season which featured one of the worst defenses arguably in NFL history. What John Elway has done to turn that team around and get them into the Super Bowl is pretty special.

It is a game that really can go either way. It's almost cliche how the stories and sub plots align for this one. The league could not have drawn it up better if it were rigged!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,446,281 times
Broncos 27
Seahwaks 25

Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM

351 posts, read 368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

I am a diehard Broncos fans, !

nooooo really! you fooled me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football