Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win?
Seattle Seahawks! 36 39.13%
Denver Broncos! 56 60.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 AM

351 posts, read 370,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Bronco's division weak? No. The AFC West was the toughest AFC division this year, as the NFC West was the toughest over there.

At this point, who even cares about strength of schedule? Both these teams blasted through the playoffs and are in the Superbowl.

May the best team win. With three head coaches, I can guarantee you the Broncos will be ready.

if the Broncos division was the toughest AFC division this year that shows you how weak the AFC was this season.

the NFC plays the best physical defense and that belongs to the NFC West......night and day!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
To Bellevue Native- I was responding to something specific the merlot poster was saying. Since it is not included with my quote you can't properly respond to my post. Actually, to address your comment about everyone wearing the same attire... well, there is a lot to take in about people other than the obvious such as a jersey.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:24 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I feel better to hear some other posters who think the Broncos have a good chance in the SB! Whew... I was starting to think I was delusional because of my Niners' loss. I hope Peyton wins his second SB and I do think he has something to prove. I always watch the SB even if my team loses. I still watch because I am a fan of football, not just the 49ers. I will watch the whole game even if Peyton and Bronco's go down in flames. But I have this nagging feeling that won't happen...
I think it depends on a lot of things:

The Broncos' offense is a one-trick pony, but it's a great trick. Out of all the players that'll be on the field for the SB, the only one that I'm absolutely certain will be in the Hall of Fame is Manning. He's a great QB and he's experienced. If Seattle successfully can put pressure on Manning and force him to throw passes quicker than he'd like, The Broncos are in trouble. If the Denver offensive line protects Manning well and gives him time, he'll do pretty well. Seattle's DBs are outstanding, but against even the best defensive backs, given enough time to throw the ball, somebody's going to get open and a QB like Manning will hit the open receiver. The key for Denver on offense will be protecting Manning and the key for Seattle on defense will be getting to Manning.

When Seattle's on offense, it's going to depend on which Seattle offense and which Broncos' defense shows up to play. If the Broncos' defense that gave up 48 to the Cowboys is there, Seattle won't have to work very hard to keep control of the clock and keep Manning on the sidelines. If the Seattle offense that commits unforced errors (like leaving points on the field and fumbling the ball on the very first offensive play of the game) shows up then Denver's D's job will be much easier, they won't have to work that hard. One good thing about the Seattle coaching staff is they've been generally good at fixing problems and making adjustments. I would look for Seattle to try and establish the run early and attempt a ball-control strategy, use the run to set up play-action pass; eat up yards and clock; and have long drives that result in points. I don't see Denver changing their strategy much. Moreno isn't going to win the game by running the football, they're going to put the ball in Manning's hands and throw and just try to rack up as many points as they can.

If Seattle's offense lays an egg and Denver's offensive line protects Manning, the Broncos will roll. If Seattle's offense clicks and the Hawks get pressure on Manning, Seattle will roll. Either team could crush the other, it could be well-played and close, the weather might be terrible and change the nature of the game (if it makes it hard to pass, Denver's obviously in trouble) and it's even possible that both teams will look terrible and this will be the worst Super Bowl performance by both teams since Super Bowl III.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush99 View Post
Russell is a class act......and many players and coaches that are class act in the Seahawks....1 player doesn't represent the whole organization.

Manning to Me is kinda fake......since he lost the Heisman trophy and he had that pissed off look, like he is entitled to every award.
Russell is a class act, I agree. I'll have to focus on him when thinking about the Hawks.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:12 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Rush, you keep referring to the complete regular season rankings of the defenses (I noticed how you have conveniently left out offensive rankings, but I digress) as if they are somehow relevant going forward. I've watched enough football to know the regular season rankings, which are affected by games that took place months ago, are about as relevant as the Steelers were to this season's playoffs.

Plenty of teams have had bad defenses in the regular season only to go on a run in the post season. If you are really interested in how a team is performing you should weight the most recent trends on that team heavier than what happened at the beginning of the season. Here's a side by side blind taste test comparing the Broncos and Seahawks defenses over the last four games:

Passing: 192.3 vs 198.8
Rushing: 105.3 vs 70
3rd down %: 25.9 vs 39.6
PPG: 14.5 vs 15

This is two regular season games and two playoff games for each team. Looking here there is really not that stark a contrast between these teams in recent weeks. Without looking, I am guessing you wouldn't know one from the other. The first column is the Seahawks, the second is the Broncos. The only category where the Seahawks are significantly better is getting stops on 3rd down. The Broncos defense goes a long way toward mitigating this by having a significantly better run defense. And against some pretty solid rushing teams, I'll add. This is significant because the Seahawks offensive strength will be going against the Broncos defensive strength. It's also worth noting that the Broncos passing defense has played really well in two games against Phil Rivers and Tom Brady, two of the leagues better QBs. Rivers had probably the 2nd best season of any QB in the league and Brady is elite on a historic level. And the Broncos did a pretty solid job of shutting both of them down.

Now I am not saying the Broncos are a lock to win. I have seen way too much football to declare any team a lock. But I am saying that you have taken a very simplistic look at these teams (and focussed only on the aspect of it that reinforced your argument while ignoring offensive performances because they don't support your argument) and formed predictions and expectations based on somewhat outdated information. A look at the most recent trends for both teams may give you a more informed idea of what to expect.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
I can't believe anyone would support Sherman after that sorry display last night.

I'm only a casual fan, so I had never heard of the guy before that interview. Clearly, Crabtree had and knew this guy's history. And based on what America saw last night, it's not hard to understand where Crabtree's alleged twitted commentary may have come from.

I don't care how much "trash talk" there was quietly between the two before the game. That's far different from embarrassing your team and your city in a spontaneous live TV interview.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 AM

Default Official Super Bowl XLVIII Thread

It's not too early to get this discussion going.

Denver Broncos and their historic offense face off against the Seattle Seahawks and the league's best defense. I've wanted this matchup ever since the Seahawks moved back to the NFC. This is the first time in a long time that two #1s square off, and it is a refreshing break from the recent trend of lower seeded teams breaking through to the big game. Upsets are exciting, but sometimes seeing the season's best teams is exciting too.

There are a lot of sub plots in this one, not the least of which is the possibility of the game being played in cold weather and inclement conditions. That makes the whole thing more interesting if you ask me.

Super Bowl XLVIII. Discuss!

Last edited by iknowftbll; 01-20-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 AM

PS: Sorry for my Roman Numeral typo. Obviously this is Super Bowl XLVIII. Perhaps one of our moderators can edit the thread title.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Who cares what the Broncos pass defense ranking is anyway?

The Broncos NFL record this year is 15-3. They lost two games to a very hot and familiar San Diego Charger team, one that did what neither the Broncos nor the Seahawks could do, beat the Indianapolis Colts.

The Broncos pass defense is statistically bad because their opponents get so far behind that they are relegated to playing catch-up with Peyton Effing Manning and they take risks and in the end, they fall short. Good luck getting into a shootout with Peyton Manning about now.

I've watched these Broncos closely this season and they are on a nice streak of their own right now.

I say the best defense is a strong offense. The Broncos got that going now and they can play ball control real nice. They had two drives yesterday that lasted over 7 minutes each.

I like Denver's chances and now so does Vegas.

Hey look... we agree!

They didn't lose twice to SD though... they lost 27-20 to SD, 39-33 to Indy and 34-31 in the game they choked to the Pats.

Still, I like their chances too... since Rush99 is spewing off at the mouth about the Broncos 812th ranked pass defense here's another stat for those keeping score at home.

The Seahawks faced ONE top 10 offense this year... the Saints... and that was at home. I think we all can agree that the Saints aren't even close to the Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Rush, you keep referring to the complete regular season rankings of the defenses (I noticed how you have conveniently left out offensive rankings, but I digress) as if they are somehow relevant going forward. I've watched enough football to know the regular season rankings, which are affected by games that took place months ago, are about as relevant as the Steelers were to this season's playoffs.
C'mon man... the Broncos have the 812th ranked pass defense and Manning only has a 13% completion rate on Sundays where Sherman gets on camera and taunts the opponents after the game and the temp is under 60 degrees in New Jersey.

Broncos have no chance.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
No idea... I just heard the line on 710 ESPN Seattle so I'm assuming they have it right.

http://http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/19/sherman-goes-off-on-crabtree/

Apparently the Seattle fans were throwing food at Bowman as he was being carted off the field...

Denver will inherit a lot of new fans I'm sure...
Also due to the refs handing the game to the Seahawks with the "running into the kicker" call, which obviously should have been a "roughing the kicker" call. The 9ers had to give up the ball and even had to decline the penalty because their kicker was injured and couldn't kick again! Seattle went on to score the TD on that drive and won by 6. I will be rooting for Denver for sure now. I never hope that someone will get injured in a game, but if Sherman would get hurt and taken out of the Superbowl early on, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football