Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win?
Seattle Seahawks! 36 39.13%
Denver Broncos! 56 60.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 AM

351 posts, read 370,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

I have never once claimed the Seahawks couldn't score 23 on the Broncos. I said it is reasonable to believe the Broncos can control that Seahawks offense after seeing the way they have put the lid on their past four opponents, including the Chargers and Patriots, both better offenses than the Broncos.

It's funny how you'll ask me this, but you won't ask yourself if the 49ers can score 17 on the Seahawks defense with the Seahawks playing at home, what evidence do you have to suggest the Broncos, a FAR better offense than the 49ers, can't score more than 17 on a neutral field?

(FWIW: This line of questioning is inherently flawed. Every game takes on its own dynamic. You can't just look at two team's performances against other opponents and based on comparisons to those opponents draw conclusions about a head to head matchup. The league doesn't work that way. I ask you this question because this simplistic level of football analysis seems to be where you are stuck, and I am taking your points at face value and asking if you've considered the other side to your own argument.)

of course you consider my line of questioning flawed, you are a die hard Broncos fan.

If the 49ers and Saints couldn't control the Seahawks offense without Percy Harvin their best receiver and they have better defenses than the Broncos, what makes you think Denver will against the Hawks with Percy which the Broncos secondary have to account for, a secondary without your best corner?

Broncos doesn't have FAR better offense than the 49ers..........49ers are a well balanced offense that is made to run and control the clock and rely on their defense. That's the reason they were the favorite to go back to the S.B. and the only drawback for them is they play in the same division as the Seahawks, if not they would have ended with the Broncos same record of 13-3 and homefield advantage but we all know the 49ers/Hawks play in a way tougher division and conference than the Broncos.

Seahawks and 49ERS are better overall teams than the Broncos and more balanced .......both defenses would give Manning many problems in the S.B.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:04 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Rush99, why are you making it seem like the Broncos have no chance what-so-ever? Even if they don't win, I still think they have a chance.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:21 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush99 View Post
of course you consider my line of questioning flawed, you are a die hard Broncos fan.
Ask around then, don't take my word for it. I think you'll have a tough time finding intelligent (key word) football fans who will agree with you that your analysis is sound. Most will probably dismiss you as a football simpleton.

Quote:
If the 49ers and Saints couldn't control the Seahawks offense without Percy Harvin their best receiver and they have better defenses than the Broncos, what makes you think Denver will against the Hawks with Percy which the Broncos secondary have to account for, a secondary without your best corner?
You keep ignoring the comparison I've given between the Seahawks and Broncos defense. The Broncos have been as good a defense as any in the playoffs. Percy Harvin has made 1 catch for 17 yards in the regular season, 3 catches for 31 yards in the post season. Having him on the field certainly gives the Seahawks another option, but if you think he'll be the X-factor in the Seahawks offense you are probably mistaken.

The big question is will he be fresh, or will he be rusty, considering his limited playing time? I think one is just as likely as the other.

Quote:
Broncos doesn't have FAR better offense than the 49ers..........49ers are a well balanced offense that is made to run and control the clock and rely on their defense. That's the reason they were the favorite to go back to the S.B. and the only drawback for them is they play in the same division as the Seahawks, if not they would have ended with the Broncos same record of 13-3 and homefield advantage but we all know the 49ers/Hawks play in a way tougher division and conference than the Broncos.
Don't look now, but the Broncos in the playoffs have been a very well balanced offense that has been able to run and control the clock and (wait for it...) rely on their defense!

Production throughout the season, yes the Broncos were a far better offense than the 49ers. Their production in total offense and the important stat, points per game, tell us this. Don't get me wrong, I think the 49ers had a great offense. But the Broncos offense was better. Much better. As for this "IF" argument...Well "IF" is the world's largest two letter word. And the NFC West being "WAY" tougher than the AFC West, well both divisions had 3 playoff caliber teams and both divisions have a team in the Super Bowl. Is one "WAY" better than the other? That's a hard argument to support.

Quote:
Seahawks and 49ERS are better overall teams than the Broncos and more balanced .......both defenses would give Manning many problems in the S.B.
The 49ers and Broncos head to head comparison is irrelevant. The Broncos don't play the 49ers until next season. We will have to wait and see about the Seahawks being the better overall team than the Broncos when the meet up in the Super Bowl. I can live with either outcome. But to deny the Broncos have a legitimate shot at winning this game is the definition of football ignorance.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Rush99, why are you making it seem like the Broncos have no chance what-so-ever? Even if they don't win, I still think they have a chance.

did I said they have no chance?...when did I say that?

just like the 49ers had a chance.......all I'm saying Manning as NEVER face a TOP 3 PLAYOFF defense in the NFL this year. Im predicting in a 20 degree weather in New York he will have a very tough game against the best defense in the NFL and arguably the best secondary in NFL history.

Can the Broncos win? sure, but it will be tough...their defense have to play their best, special teams and Moreno needs a 125 yards plus game.

This Hawks defense reminds me of the 2000 Ravens and the 2002 Bucs. (Both won the S.B. and it wasn't even close)

Last edited by Rush99; 01-21-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But to deny the Broncos have a legitimate shot at winning this game is the definition of football ignorance.

another retarded echo. I never said the Broncos DON'T have a legitimate shot.

I take physical top defense vs finesse top offense.....this is PRO Football after all not the NBA.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times
Quote:
Manning look good scoring 26 and 23 points on the Pats and Chargers, they have one of the worst defense in the NFL, rank #26 and #23.....they haven't play a top 5 defense all year.

Manning never plays well against top 5 rank defenses.....look at his history...he chokes.
Uhh... You are WAY over-playing the whole "Broncos haven't played any good defenses" angle...

You want to talk stats? Lets talk stats...

Yeah, Manning put up 26 and 23 against the Pats and Chargers, and their sencodaries do kinda blow... but...

NFL Team Passing Defense Statistics - 2013

Let's take a look at the #3 best secondary in the league, the Houston Texans, what happened in that game?

Broncos- 37 Texans - 13 Peyton Manning: 4 TD's || 400 yards || 0 Interceptions

That is the only pass defense that Denver saw that was in the top 5, now lets look at top 10: Ranked #10 NY Giants:

Broncos- 41 Giants- 23 Peyton Manning: 2 TD's || 307 yards || 0 Interceptions

Now, since the Broncos played a few teams that barely missed the top ten, let's look at those teams within the top 15:

#11 Tennessee Titans: Broncos- 51 Titans- 28 Peyton Manning: 4 TD's || 397 yards || 0 Int's
#12 Baltimore Ravens: Broncos- 49 Ravens- 27 Peyton Manning: 7 TD's || 462 yards || 0 Int's
#13 Indianapolis Colts: Broncos - 33 Colts- 39 Peyton Manning: 3 TD's || 383 yards || 1 Int

So Denver played 5 of the 15 top ranked secondaries, never scored less than 33 points, and only had one pick.

Now let's take a look at the top ranked total defense teams:
NFL Team Total Defense Statistics - 2013

Denver played two teams in the top 10, the #7 Texans and the #8 Giants, you can see above what the results were.

Also in the top 15 were the #12 Ravens and #14 Titans, again, you can see what the results were.

As you can see, Denver took all the top 15 Defenses they played against this year, and they handed them over 30 points in each case. In fact, the only games in which the Broncos failed to produce 30 or more points were against the secondaries of #18 New England, #25 Kansas City, and #29 San Diego. (Ironically, Manning threw more picks to these teams than the 5 top 15 secondaries they played.

In conclusion, yes, Seattle is a good team, and their defense is stellar... but Denver is a good team, and their offense is the most potent offense ever. Seattle can not say that their defense has had the best season of any defense ever, but the Broncos can say that about their offense. This is one of the best Super Bowl match-ups that I have ever seen truthfully, and to say that Seattle has it in the bag is just foolish.

(My prediction: Seattle - 23 || Denver - 42)

Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 AM

Denver will score 42 points against the #1 defense in the NFL in a 20 degree weather? LMAO!!!!

Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. Name 1 top 5 DEFENSIVE PLAYOFF team the Broncos play all year?.......name 1.........ok, how about a TOP 10 DEFENSIVE PLAYOFF team? ..name 1.

Ravens and Titans are NOT a top playoff defensive teams..........Colts defense allowed 85 points in 2 playoff games, I hardly call that a TOP 5 defense playoff team, not even TOP 10.

is Texas a playoff team?

do you know what is a TOP DEFENSE PLAYOFF team?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:44 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times
Quote:
Denver will score 42 points against the #1 defense in the NFL in a 20 degree weather? LMAO!!!!

Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. Name 1 top 5 DEFENSIVE PLAYOFF team the Broncos play all year?.......name 1.........ok, how about a TOP 10 DEFENSIVE PLAYOFF team? ..name 1.

Ravens and Titans are NOT a top playoff defensive teams..........Colts defense allowed 85 points in 2 playoff games, I hardly call that a TOP 5 defense playoff team, not even TOP 10.

is Texas a playoff team?

do you know what is a TOP DEFENSE PLAYOFF team?
Apparently YOU have a reading comprehension problem, because the post that I quoted does not say the word "playoff" once

Maybe, before you comment on my reading comprehension, you should learn to read your own darn posts...

Also, I never claimed to be fulfilling your request, I made a statement that you are over-playing the "Denver can't beat a good defense" angle, and then I backed it up, so how about YOU learn some reading comprehension.

Funny that you throw stats around, and once somebody does it back, you refuse to have an adult conversation about the stats, instead you attack the person posting the statistics... yeah you look really football savvy right now...

(You should tell the rest of the teenagers from Seattle to come join this thread and vote, because a good majority of the people voting in this thread think you are dead wrong.) (I know you claim to be a Steelers fan, but I simply do not believe you, you are a Seattle homer all the way.)

Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Can the Broncos win? sure, but it will be tough...their defense have to play their best, special teams and Moreno needs a 125 yards plus game.

)
This statement sort of highlights your ignorance of the Broncos offense. Have you even watched the Broncos play a game this year?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
another retarded echo. I never said the Broncos DON'T have a legitimate shot.

I take physical top defense vs finesse top offense.....this is PRO Football after all not the NBA.
Finesse offense? Laughable. Ask Aqib Talib if the Broncos are a finesse offense! You are amusing, I'll give you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football