U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:53 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,362,431 times

Advertisements

Coulda been way worse. Goodell just caught a break. One thing about probability. There is small probability of reliably catching a break. Zygi Wilf wants a game in an outdoor stadium in Minneapolis in Febuary. Goodell intervened to get Zygi his stadium. Will he now feel OBLIGATED to come down on Zygi's side? I can only hope not. Don't necessarily give it to New Orleans again, but the southern tier is full of good stadiums. I wonder if a game could be played in college towns like where Alabama or Auburn are situated. If not that, then there's Dallas, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Miami, Arizona, LA, San Diego. Any one of those deserves a Bowl date. Somehow I think Jacksonville in February could really use a Super Bowl to get local fans jacked up in a major way. The league should give that franchise a helping hand. You think Peyton and Russell would object to a week in Florida? Oh, yeh, and then Hawaii. If they ever stop the Pro Bowl, then I'd put Hawaii at the top of my list.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:07 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,365,012 times
Football isn't a warm weather sport. They should push back the beginning of the NFL back a month, actually (same with the NHL) and do away with domes all together. Went to a couple of domed games, it was just wrong!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,885,146 times
Last I checked, weather influences nearly every football game. Why should the SB be any different? The game should be played at the top team's place.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Football isn't a warm weather sport. They should push back the beginning of the NFL back a month, actually (same with the NHL) and do away with domes all together. Went to a couple of domed games, it was just wrong!
Football is a constantly-evolving sport. It is whatever fans want it to be. Take a poll and do you really think fans will vote overwhelming for subzero weather? I don't. Oh there are elderly fans who take pride in how cold they can be and still be up for the game, but even among the elderly, I think more and more will say "I can watch quite nicely in warmth, thank you". Nothing is defined by its origins. Nothing ever will be.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 PM

369 posts, read 804,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I wonder if a game could be played in college towns like where Alabama or Auburn are situated.
The NFL requires host cities have a certain number of hotel rooms, I doubt there would be enough in Auburn or Tuscaloosa.

If not that, then there's Dallas, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Miami, Arizona, LA, No Team in LA, and no NFL stadium, means no Super Bowl in LA anytime soon. San Diego. Any one of those deserves a Bowl date. Somehow I think Jacksonville in February could really use a Super Bowl to get local fans jacked up in a major way. Jacksonville had the SB in 2005, IIRC they had to bring in cruise ships to get to the required number of "hotel rooms".

The league should give that franchise a helping hand. You think Peyton and Russell would object to a week in Florida? Oh, yeh, and then Hawaii. If they ever stop the Pro Bowl, then I'd put Hawaii at the top of my list. Aloha Stadium is too small, only seating 50K, and is not an NFL quality stadium. That might change, but I wouldn't count on it.
The NFL got lucky this year, I would be surprised if they rolled the dice like that again. I'm just thankful the weather was as good as it was, so the Donkey fans couldn't cry about it being the reason they lost.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,570,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
everyone knows the Super Bowl is really in New York anyways
Only the uneducated idiots believe that. Those hardworking individuals that you hate so much had no issues finding the superbowl festivities in time square and the football game in NJ.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 AM

That was another aspect of the phoniness. Play in New Jersey, pretend it is a "New York Super Bowl". But , again, with Goodell, everything seems to be plastic.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:19 PM

513 posts, read 576,742 times
Quote:
Coulda been way worse. Goodell just caught a break. One thing about probability. There is small probability of reliably catching a break. Zygi Wilf wants a game in an outdoor stadium in Minneapolis in Febuary. Goodell intervened to get Zygi his stadium. Will he now feel OBLIGATED to come down on Zygi's side? I can only hope not. Don't necessarily give it to New Orleans again, but the southern tier is full of good stadiums. I wonder if a game could be played in college towns like where Alabama or Auburn are situated. If not that, then there's Dallas, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Miami, Arizona, LA, San Diego. Any one of those deserves a Bowl date. Somehow I think Jacksonville in February could really use a Super Bowl to get local fans jacked up in a major way. The league should give that franchise a helping hand. You think Peyton and Russell would object to a week in Florida? Oh, yeh, and then Hawaii. If they ever stop the Pro Bowl, then I'd put Hawaii at the top of my list.
I wish it was a blizzard and awful conditions. I'm so sick of hearing it should be played in perfect weather. Why? No other game is. Do we really want to make the NFL into the Arena Football League? Please. Also, they had a sb in Jacksonville and vowed to never return because the area around the stadium is a total dump

Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM

35,608 posts, read 32,403,545 times
Did anyone else notice that the refs "let em play" in the playoffs vs regular season were the flags were flying? You can build a team around a theme and have that dismantled in the post season due the lack of calls. A penalty should be called all the way to the last game.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,570,156 times
Quote:
That was another aspect of the phoniness. Play in New Jersey, pretend it is a "New York Super Bowl". But , again, with Goodell, everything seems to be plastic.
There was no pretending. New York refers to the metro area. The New York Giants, officially represent the NY Metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football