Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Well, this is actually a terrible idea. There would be no standard in the season, and how would rankings be determined?

Weather does not determine a game, both teams are playing in the same conditions. Are we really having this discussion? Are we really afraid because Peyton might have some cold hands? What is this, a soccer game where Jose is down on the field crying because someone almost stepped on his foot again?
Again, while I don't view this debate as world-shaping, it would certainly seem that playing in better conditions would take the weather out of determining the Super Bowl champion. The probability of injury is also greater in the ice and snow, than in a warmer, domed stadium.

The whole point is that by unnecessarily selecting a venue where severe weather will likely influence the outcome, will skew the results (or add a caveat) -- regardless of which team wins ... to what end?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
take this game in two weeks for example. The Broncos are a throw first team. Wind/rain/snow could have a HUGE impact on their game plan and what they can do in the elements.

On the other hand, Seattle is a run first team with Marshawn Lynch. bad weather only benefits them as it plays to their gameplan.

Not that I want it as a fan of the superbowl game, but just to make Goodell and the NFL look like idiots, I hope there's a foot of snow on gameday and its 8 degrees LOL.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
take this game in two weeks for example. The Broncos are a throw first team. Wind/rain/snow could have a HUGE impact on their game plan and what they can do in the elements.

On the other hand, Seattle is a run first team with Marshawn Lynch. bad weather only benefits them as it plays to their gameplan.

Not that I want it as a fan of the superbowl game, but just to make Goodell and the NFL look like idiots, I hope there's a foot of snow on gameday and its 8 degrees LOL.
I think it would be great and would not make the NFL look like idiots at all. They know there is a risk of snow. Snow games are awesome anyway

Old 01-21-2014, 01:40 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

I don't think that will make anyone or anything look like idiots.
I think it would be great!

Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I guess I don't get it, maybe because I've always lived in the Midwest and don't look at weather as a big deal.

Why does it have to be played in perfect conditions, both teams are playing outside and have a chance to win. I hope it does snow and don't think it will deter them from having another outside game. I would look at traffic issues, crowd control, overall logistics playing a role in a decision not the players having to play outdoors.

For SB45 in Dallas, it was a nightmare in terms of logistics, getting people around, ice and snow, Dallas not having enough equipment to deal with it, things happen, show must go on - and it did.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't think that will make anyone or anything look like idiots.
I think it would be great!

Look at the Detroit vs Philadelphia game.

That was a great game to watch, besides seeing my team play like a bunch of idiots.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:06 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
I think Superbowls should be played somewhere were they know the conditions are as good as possible. At the same time, that isn't fair to other cities with colder winter climate.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I think the argument for sunbelt Super Bowls is best made for the fans. I've only been to one (can't afford them nowadays), but it made a nice winter break, going to southern California (Rose Bowl) the end of January. With the extremely high cost for a family to attend the Super Bowl, I think it's nice to hold them in a warm climate. We always took a WARM family vacation in the winter back then. Having the Super Bowl in southern California meant we could make it a SB vacation.

As far as inclement weather favoring one team over another, sure, that's always true, but that's just the nature of the game. As a longtime Bronco fan, I hope for warm, still air, but if it's windy and cold, so what? If they can't win in bad weather, they don't deserve to win. Playing in a dome often favors one team more than the other too. So?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
At the ticket prices I am seeing... I don't see many families being able to afford a Super Bowl vacation!

A thousand and more for EACH ticket... The kids (and spouse!) really better be into the game at those prices.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I find it hard to muster up a lot of sympathy for anyone that can afford to go to a Super Bowl and would beeotch about the weather conditions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football