U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,848,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I get some of what your saying.. but if Sherman were TRULY A GREAT GUY, he would not have said what he said. Sorry, GREAT GUYS don't do that..
Great. guys do alot of regreatble things dude !!!! So the body of someone life work should be summed up in one out burst !!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,848,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
You're totally right on that point. It was the heat of the moment, understandable. I'm just tired of the race card being played and someone saying he is an American Hero, please that is over the top.
Why he made a great point about the use of the word thug ..why is it always linked to black atletes but not white one, his point about hockey drove it home for me.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh come on. It was very contrived (not spur of the moment at all) and he made himself A LOT of money with this "controversy". He's an entertainer that entertained, and being paid very little as a 7th rounder on a rookie contract he very very intelligently put himself in a position to become rich from his play and the persona he promotes of himself. Brilliant really.
So because he is an entertainer, he must be a great guy!?

no, he can still be a jerk and be the best CB in the league and be an entertainer. My argument is, he cannot be a GREAT GUY as someone said and get away with this. This was not spur of the moment or a one time thing, this is who he is.. he is a JERK, not a great guy. sorry.

Maybe one day, he will see the err of his ways and be a great guy. Being a jerk is not a life sentence.. he has room to grow.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Great. guys do alot of regreatble things dude !!!! So the body of someone life work should be summed up in one out burst !!
If it were JUST ONCE, I would agree.. but this was NOT the first nor the last time for Richard, i am afraid!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:08 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,171,344 times
Quote:
So because he is an entertainer, he must be a great guy!?

no, he can still be a jerk and be the best CB in the league and be an entertainer. My argument is, he cannot be a GREAT GUY as someone said and get away with this. This was not spur of the moment or a one time thing, this is who he is.. he is a JERK, not a great guy. sorry.

Maybe one day, he will see the err of his ways and be a great guy. Being a jerk is not a life sentence.. he has room to grow.

I don't agree with this at all. Just because he has taken this on as his on the field and entertainment persona, does not mean he is not a great guy. None of us know him and can't judge him as a person.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't agree with this at all. Just because he has taken this on as his on the field and entertainment persona, does not mean he is not a great guy. None of us know him and can't judge him as a person.
True. You can't truly judge someone until you walk a mile in their shoes. I get that.

But the only persona I get to see and know is the one he shows NFL fans.. and that persona is a jerk. What else am I supposed to judge him by?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,429,052 times
Quote:
and get away with this.
Get away with what exactly?

Not impregnating random women?

Then no beating them?

Not driving drunk?

Not getting arrested for anything?

Focusing completely on his profession and his community while not jumping into the party lifestyle trap that so many young people go through?

Helping organize an event of 7,500 people to purchase a home for an injured soldier?

Providing supplies to 160 families in a shelter that are down on their luck?

Frequently purchasing school supplies for kids and trying to help them set goals and then motivate them to reach them?

He works without rest in his community, is an incredible teamate, incredible with the fans and is pretty much univerally loved by those around him

If you want to take a couple moments of talk and try to use that to paint some awful picture, it speaks more about you than him

Old 02-03-2014, 10:35 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,429,052 times
As for the racial component ..... just click the link below for a sampling of some of the tweets that helped start that dialogue - should note that there is a bit of language there

Public Shaming - Dumb Racists Outraged That Football Star Richard Sherman Has Something to Say

Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM

12,247 posts, read 17,996,267 times
But but he is just too human...how dare he...lol

Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM

13,930 posts, read 19,149,139 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone doubts Sherman it the BEST.
Plenty of people do, especially coaches and scouts. Sherman is very, very good, but he's "not half as good as he thinks he is" (a quote direct from an NFL defensive backs coach) and there are at least three players...Revis, Haden and Peterson...who are unquestionably better. A guy I know compared him to Jonathan Joesph, another very good corner who doesn't get the pub that Sherman does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I agree Susan. But everybody was so upset and acted like he was some sort of criminal after his little rant a couple of weeks ago. They judged him way to fast calling him all kinds of names such as thug....without knowing anything about him. Sherman is truly a great guy. He is very active in his community doing allot of good things. He is far from a thug, criminal, jerk, a-hole, idiot and all these other names people were throwing his way. There were people on here saying "I can't belive anybody can support the Seahawks after what Sherman did" ...I mean, really?
By all accounts, Sherman seems like a genuinely good person off the field and some of the criticism leveled towards him was remarkably unfair. That said, you can't act like that in a high visibility position and not expect that kind of blowback. Sherman is a smart guy and knows, or should know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or