U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 AM

5,147 posts, read 6,341,332 times

Advertisements

As I said, drafting Wilson was a brilliant move. Compared to someone like Geno Smith. Or even Andrew Luck, even though if Luck had played in Seattle, their record would have few or no losses. Wilson fit into a team that had talent everywhere. Luck was a good bit above the level of what was around him. The measure of his skill is how much he achieved without much help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:18 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,060,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Wilson was sacked four times and honestly, was not impressive. Cam Newton is one of my favorite new QBs. Which you didn't mention. I don't think Wilson will be in the NFL for more than five years. He is so small to play QB and I have a feeling he will suffer an injury. He is just too small, IMO. He is not exciting to watch. I enjoy watching Luck and Griffin much more than Wilson. I am a Niners fan living in Portland and I have to see Wilson on insurance commercials daily so that adds to my annoyance.
Your bitterness over the last 49ers game is showing. Wilson is a bit overrated. But to think he will be out of the nfl is insane. He is in the top 30 percent of qbs in the league.
And he doesn't run recklesslessly and get pounded like griffin/vick.

Of the quarterbacks above my list would look like this.
1. Luck
2. Newton
3. Kaepernick
4. Wilson
5. Foles
6. RGIII
7. Dalton

Old 01-22-2014, 02:29 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,569,348 times
Luck also caught a raw deal his rookie year because the offensive scheme in Indy had him throwing the ball all over the place, taking chances. Luck was really good this season now that they finally had a running game when Donald Brown started getting hot.

RG3's knee was not 100%, and it was pretty clear early in the season. I blame a lot of that on Robert, with his "all in for week 1" crap. I hope the awful 2013 season humbles him some, and he plays like he did as a rookie.

As Beenhere4ever pointed out, Wilson got pretty lucky to fall into such a great situation. Usually when a rookie QB is drafted and ends up being the starter, the team they're taking over is usually pretty bad. Not the case for Wilson. NFL Analysts are comparing the Seattle defense to the 85 bears, and Beastmode Lynch is one of the hardest hitting, bull-dozer type running backs in the league.

Tannehill is actually a pretty good QB, but his offensive line was probably the worst in the league, and he didn't have a whole lot of weapons to work with. Mike Wallace didn't produce as much as they'd hoped, and the rookie RB Lamar Miller didn't produce much either.

Nick Foles is really, really good. Dude was torching defenses all year. If Philly can get their defense together, the Eagles could dominate in the NFC East for a while.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,819,116 times
Wilson is the best of the lot of new qb's.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:41 PM

Interesting discussion. But what it SHOWS is that best QB doesn't equal a ring. You can talk up all the new QBs in whatever way you want. But in the end, a TEAM wins a championship. If a QB did, Peyton should have as many or more than Tom Brady. But till now, he hasn't had the TEAM to win. Look at RGIII. His TEAM was pathetic. One of the worst in the league. It really doesn't matter how good he might be. Sacrificing everything to get a "franchise quarterback" is a dumb strategy by the front office of a team. I think that's what Minnesota did, and they became a joke. You need to assemble the strongest UNIT you can, with a QB that fits the identity. Cam Newton isn't better than before. But now the front office has given him a defense that competes at top level.

So I'd stop this obsessing on which QB has the most skills. Two things matter: The identity of the team and the fit of the QB with that identity. It is a much harder analysis, but in forecasting results, it will actually work.

Oh, and health is more important than skills. The most important ability is availability. Potential matters zip when the person with that is sitting on the bench. Peyton and Russell may not be the absolute best, but they were there leading their teams all year long.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:06 AM

278 posts, read 255,528 times
Luck is the real deal. Being a Colts fan, my only question is, can he be as good as #18 was here...? I think he's head and shoulders above Wilson, and RG3.
Luck's biggest obstacle is the Colts coaching staff. Pagano, an alleged defensive mind, and Pep Hamilton, Mr Power Run game have got to do a better job of finding the right players to compliment Andrew's talents.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 PM

28,503 posts, read 15,458,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Luck also caught a raw deal his rookie year because the offensive scheme in Indy had him throwing the ball all over the place, taking chances. Luck was really good this season now that they finally had a running game when Donald Brown started getting hot.

RG3's knee was not 100%, and it was pretty clear early in the season. I blame a lot of that on Robert, with his "all in for week 1" crap. I hope the awful 2013 season humbles him some, and he plays like he did as a rookie.

As Beenhere4ever pointed out, Wilson got pretty lucky to fall into such a great situation. Usually when a rookie QB is drafted and ends up being the starter, the team they're taking over is usually pretty bad. Not the case for Wilson. NFL Analysts are comparing the Seattle defense to the 85 bears, and Beastmode Lynch is one of the hardest hitting, bull-dozer type running backs in the league.

Tannehill is actually a pretty good QB, but his offensive line was probably the worst in the league, and he didn't have a whole lot of weapons to work with. Mike Wallace didn't produce as much as they'd hoped, and the rookie RB Lamar Miller didn't produce much either.

Nick Foles is really, really good. Dude was torching defenses all year. If Philly can get their defense together, the Eagles could dominate in the NFC East for a while.
Most people forget Foles was part of that draft with Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, Wilson, etc.

27 TDs, 2 INTs in 10 games - if Luck or RGIII had those numbers, the press would be pushing terms like "greatest ever".

Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
Luck is the real deal. Being a Colts fan, my only question is, can he be as good as #18 was here...? I think he's head and shoulders above Wilson, and RG3.
Luck's biggest obstacle is the Colts coaching staff. Pagano, an alleged defensive mind, and Pep Hamilton, Mr Power Run game have got to do a better job of finding the right players to compliment Andrew's talents.
We have to see if Mr. Irsay will open his wallet and live up to his big talk. He said Peyton's big numbers were not enough. I'm pretty sure that was the quality of the team provided for Peyton. So if he wants his first round pick to get more of those rings, he has to start building a team whose quality matches that of his QB. Luck won't get many Super Bowl appearances if he has to be Mr. Miracle Man every week.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:04 PM

28,503 posts, read 15,458,018 times
Just FYI... Foles - the only 2014 Pro Bowl QB to NOT throw an INT in the game.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:36 AM

Another QB who might be better than his team. But I wouldn't base much on the Pro Bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or