Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Wilson is the best of the lot of new qb's.
Disagree. Of all the QBs being talked about in this thread, Wilson is asked to do the least. Seahawks fans don't like it, but Wilson is a game manager. He's a good game manager...but still just a game manager.

Russell Wilson is ranked dead last in the NFL in pass attempts per game. 32nd. All 31 starting QBs in the league throw more passes per game than Wilson. With that nasty defense, and beastmode in the backfield, not a lot is asked of him. hand it off to Marshawn Lynch, and make smart, safe throws on 3rd down.

It's not Wilson's fault, he's just running the plays as they come in. And I'm not saying Wilson couldn't be more of a gunslinger type of QB who throws it 40+ times a game. But Seattle's defense is so good, their offense doesn't have to score many points to win. They are a run first, conservative team on offense, which makes Wilson a "game manager."

I'd say Luck is by far the best QB of the young QBs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM

72 posts, read 83,192 times
1) Luck is head and shoulders above any other young QB. It's not even close

2) Foles will have to further prove himself but right now he looks like a difference maker in this league

3) The scrambling qbs are pretty much all equal to me. Kaepernick most athletic, Wilson the smartest and Newton a combination of both.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Luck is the top for many reasons. He got off to a rough start his first year but looks like he is going to be a complete QB.

You have these young guns that can run, but you still need pocket presence. He doesn't strike me as a QB that will get hung up on 1 target. Kaepernick has that problem and it showed when Crabtree was out. He is doing the kind of things rookies do and depending on his legs to bail him out, that will not always work.

Luck can run if he has to but I think his steadiness, staying in the pocket is going to serve him well over the long haul. Of course, he won me over when he answered a reporter when asked who he would like to be like and he did not hesitate to say, Aaron Rodgers!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:12 PM

72 posts, read 83,192 times
Luck is already borderline Top 10 in the league. Who did he even have on offense this year?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:09 PM

513 posts, read 695,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear5599 View Post
Luck is already borderline Top 10 in the league. Who did he even have on offense this year?
Once Wayne went down he was left with very little talent. However, I am still not convinced he is the next Manning/Elway

Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,559 times
Two things going for Russell. Maturity and brains. He might not even be in the league at his size without those factors. No matter how people criticize him, they generally acknowledge these things. Nick Foles seems to understand the logic of turnovers. And he's lucky in some of the skill players around him. He might be something between Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. To me, the jury is out on RGIII. One year he shocked the league. Then he was misused and all that potential got wasted. He might be like Peyton, doomed to do less than he could till the team management is better. Geno Smith? Wow, who really knows? When he was drafted, people were uncertain if his skills matched the job. When the Bills drafted EJ Manuel in the first round, that had tongues clucking too. The QB situation in Buffalo dragged their team down. And Luck is mismatched to his team. They don't measure up to his potential. Given a good supporting cast, he really could outdo Peyton, IMO. But its Indianapolis. So who knows what the future will hold? Kaepernick could be like Brett Favre. At least so far as the matter of single plays stifling the team's performance. I don't know who holds the record for game losing picks, but I know Favre is a contender.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:31 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Foles is a good not great QB. He doesn't seem to make big plays consistently, but he won't hurt your team with silly turnovers.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:07 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
SB was a good example of Wilson's intangibles. He ran the offense effectively and didn't make any mistakes. Lots of strong throws on third down conversions, made the plays he needed to.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:35 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
SB was a good example of Wilson's intangibles. He ran the offense effectively and didn't make any mistakes. Lots of strong throws on third down conversions, made the plays he needed to.

The third down conversions Russell made was a huge part of yesterday's equation. I think Luck is the best of the young QB bunch, but having had the opportunity to watch RW at Wisconsin that one amazing year, he is right up there. He is far more than a "game manager" even if that is the role they have him play now.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Your bitterness over the last 49ers game is showing. Wilson is a bit overrated. But to think he will be out of the nfl is insane. He is in the top 30 percent of qbs in the league.
And he doesn't run recklesslessly and get pounded like griffin/vick.

Of the quarterbacks above my list would look like this.
1. Luck
2. Newton
3. Kaepernick
4. Wilson
5. Foles
6. RGIII
7. Dalton
Maybe I am bitter but I really do think Wilson is small to play in the NFL without getting seriously injured. Wilson has had the best defense for protection but we all know players get traded and teams change. I was making an observation about Wilson's size, not just his height. I think Wilson performed well yesterday but it was a team win. Wilson is overrated IMO, but the job got done so good for him. I do think Wilson carries himself well and cannot complain about his attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football