U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM

28,447 posts, read 15,432,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
My suggestion..........eliminate the PAT kick, but keep the 2 point PAT run/pass

Field goals..........1 point for FG of 30 yards or less
.........................2 points for FG of 30-50 yards
.........................3 points for field goals of over 50 yards.

Leave the width of the goal posts alone.
If a team is down 2 - there's a decision. Stop moving the ball and settle for a 50+ yd. FG - or if they try for a TD and get down to the 17 yard line with 20 seconds left - do they try to lose 25 yds and go for the FG?

To me, you should always be rewarded for advancing the ball - which includes closer FG attempts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If a team is down 2 - there's a decision. Stop moving the ball and settle for a 50+ yd. FG - or if they try for a TD and get down to the 17 yard line with 20 seconds left - do they try to lose 25 yds and go for the FG?

To me, you should always be rewarded for advancing the ball - which includes closer FG attempts.
Totally agree.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
The PAT is the most useless 45 seconds of a football game. It is even worse when someone is injured on the touchdown play, allowing for a commercial, the extra point, another commercial, a kickoff, and possibly another commercial before we even play another down.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 PM

15,908 posts, read 10,072,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I propose the league hire a new commissioner.

Indeed. Next he will want to eliminate kick offs.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:50 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
I think I read on Packers.com that Mark Murphy is in favor of dropping it, too! I'll look for his comments/reasoning. He does tend to go into too much detail sometimes, being a lawyer, but as a former player he is not your typical billionaire representing a team at the Spring meeting.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:18 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,729,801 times
Quote:

........."always be rewarded for advancing the ball".......

advancing the ball should mean the end zone and a TD.

I hate to see teams give up trying for the end zone when they can get 3 points for an easy field goal of under 30 yards.

Make that " chip shot" only worth 1 point and maybe they will..........."be rewarded for advancing the ball" instead of letting the clock run down as they run a couple plays into the center of the field to line up that 3 pt chipshot.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:13 AM

28,447 posts, read 15,432,286 times
Quote:
........."always be rewarded for advancing the ball".......

advancing the ball should mean the end zone and a TD.

I hate to see teams give up trying for the end zone when they can get 3 points for an easy field goal of under 30 yards.

Make that " chip shot" only worth 1 point and maybe they will..........."be rewarded for advancing the ball" instead of letting the clock run down as they run a couple plays into the center of the field to line up that 3 pt chipshot.
Nobody is discussing the merits of the field goal. 3 points... that's it... 99.9% of the people are fine with the field goal. We are discussing the PAT.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,729,801 times
Quote:
Nobody is discussing the merits of the field goal. 3 points... that's it... 99.9% of the people are fine with the field goal. We are discussing the PAT.

I discussed both the PAT and field goal.

Yet, you replied to my post and only mentioned the field goal.

Yet, you said "nobody" is discussing the merits of the field goal ?

YOU were when you responded to my post.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
I discussed both the PAT and field goal.

Yet, you replied to my post and only mentioned the field goal.

Yet, you said "nobody" is discussing the merits of the field goal ?

YOU were when you responded to my post.
Good lord.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:09 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,272,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
NFL Commissioner will propose a rule change to drop the PAT.
Actually, Goodell has merely said the rules committee should (not will) consider abolishing it (not definitely abolish it).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10324658/roger-goodell-says-pats-abolished

Quote:
In its place, touchdown will be 7 points. Team will have the option to try for a one point run/throw play. But if they miss scoring, one point will be deducted from the touch down.

No, Goodell only said that one proposal is for a seven-point touchdown.

Quote:
The 2 point conversion is successful only 33% of the time, so I'm wondering how many teams would vote for this change.
The two-point conversion rate is 48%, not 33%.
Team Two Point Conversion Statistics - 2013 - NFL Season Statistics
Advanced NFL Stats: Almost Always Go for 2-Point Conversions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football