U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:43 PM

23,655 posts, read 33,488,749 times

Advertisements

I peeked at the Pro Bowl on the TV at the bar next to the WWE event I was watching. I think the Pro Bowl is still awful football I will have nothing to do with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 05:23 AM

2,716 posts, read 2,617,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Anyone who watched that nonsense played right into their hands.
I didn't pay anything to watch it so I doubt that.
Compared to other things that were airing at the time, the pro bowl was one of the better choices.

The game probably isn't going anywhere so whatever .
It was a pretty slow TV day.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,121,629 times
I watched the first half before retiring to bed (early I know).

I have a question for those who are trashing last night's game as awful. Did you actual watch any of it? Like, more than 5 minutes? It was at least entertaining to watch this time. DeSean Jackson ripping the ball out of the DB's hand for a TD? The Pro Bowl is still the Pro Bowl, but it was at least watchable this time.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:50 AM

8,770 posts, read 10,870,651 times
Rename it the "NFL Who Cares Pro Bowl' and get on with life.

- It doesn't matter which team wins.
- The players aren't selected to any meaningful or consistent standard.
- Mixing players from the same teams on both squads gives it a 'sandlot game' feel
- Mixing players, conferences & teams reduces fan-team interest, making it a 'player's game' only.
- A bunch of 'millionaires' goofing-off in Hawaii doesn't engender support from blizzard-locked fans.
- No player wants to affect their $millions ... for a 'mere' $30-$50K game ... and they play like it!
- Football fans were already 'burned-out' by 20 of 35 College Bowl games played by mediocre teams.

Overall, the Pro Bowl may still be football, but, it's about as entertaining and memorable as an 'awards speech.' Send those selected a plaque ... and eliminate the charade.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,983,242 times
I heard the announcers referring to "Competitive Pro Bowls" ..."way back when" Specifically the aggressiveness of the defensive ends who all seemed to have a good game last night. Did not say "WHEN" The probowl was last played like a real football game.
There were a number of QB sacks.......no intent to play rough, in fact the QB often went down when grabbed, but few hard hits. I would hate to see someone get hurt over a game which exists solely for the entertainment of the fans and makes no bearing on standings or pay.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I didn't pay anything to watch it so I doubt that.
Compared to other things that were airing at the time, the pro bowl was one of the better choices.

The game probably isn't going anywhere so whatever .
It was a pretty slow TV day.
Did you watch any commercials? If you did then you did play into their hands.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:28 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,506,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
It is not regular football but it is better than the previous 2 years. I like that players can end up playing against their own teammates. Low scoring compared to previous years, and they sack the QB.

But still. the Pro Bowl makes exhibition games look like the Super Bowl.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,741,797 times
Risk of injury is a part of football.

Removing that risk ( Pro Bowl) dilutes it to something that barely resembles a real game

Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM

21,369 posts, read 21,948,539 times
Quote:
Anyone who watched that nonsense played right into their hands.
Quote:
Did you watch any commercials? If you did then you did play into their hands.
not me! like you, I put my hands up to my ears and closed my eyes and went nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah every time a commercial came on....victory is ours!!!!!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,962,986 times
Geez, I went right out and bought a Scion, and I don't even believe in four wheeled vehicles. I'm so weak...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football