Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

I have nothing against the Seahawks. Having said that, and even though I'm a Browns fan, and our past history with Denver (The Drive, The Fumble, John Elway...ect...) I'm pulling for the Broncos. I've always been partial to Peyton.

Either way, this should be a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Great defenses tend to beat great offenses in championships, especially when coupled with a punishing running game. Denver's D isn't nearly as good as Seattle's, and they're playing at sea level not in high altitude, so the Hawks aren't going to wilt late. If anybody's D wilts, it's likely to be the Broncos' because there is nothing more demoralizing to a defense than to get run on over and over again by a punishing runner like Lynch.

DEFENSE LAST 4 GAMES (including playoffs)
PPG: Denver=15; Seattle=14.5
YPG: Denver=268.5; Seattle=295.5

All this "Seattle has #1 defense and Denver is #15 or whatever" can be thrown out the window because those stats are based on 17 weeks... the playoffs are about who is playing good NOW not 4 months ago... Denver's D has looked as good as anyone as of late.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Because I can't afford all the jerseys I'd like, I settled for Seattle #24. His highlight films always make my eyes open wide and then I laugh. Someone in New Orleans still remembers an epic run he made against them. Of course, that's probably true of Adrian Peterson too. But the ownership of the Vikings alienates me from all things Vikings. By the way, Shady McCoy is my favorite Eagle.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:05 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I have nothing against the Seahawks. Having said that, and even though I'm a Browns fan, and our past history with Denver (The Drive, The Fumble, John Elway...ect...) I'm pulling for the Broncos. I've always been partial to Peyton.

Either way, this should be a good one.
You have my utmost respect sir for the reason I mentioned in my earlier post.

I'm torn, I really want Peyton to get a second ring, it's just not right that his brother has 2. But again the Hawks fans deserve a title.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't think this is true at all. I've seen plenty of analysts on the networks, heard plenty on the radio and read plenty on the web who are going Seahawks. The trend breaks toward the Broncos but it is not even close to a unanimous vote. I mentioned Lavar Arrington, who in his mind the game is already decided: Seahawks win and big. Every time he discusses the game he adamantly states he cannot see how this Broncos team even has a slim chance. A couple of the guests (former players) on his show have echoed his sentiments, so it's not like the Seahawks are without their supporters.

I know. It's a CD thing.
I don't know Lavar Arrington.

Thanks

Old 01-31-2014, 05:12 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I know. It's a CD thing.
I don't know Lavar Arrington.

Thanks
All American at Penn State, 2nd pick in the draft.

It was in all the papers.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
All American at Penn State, 2nd pick in the draft.

It was in all the papers.
He had a pretty solid career here in Washington with the Redskins. Now has a pretty good radio show. Of course he's dead wrong on his expectations for this game!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
A couple things strike me as odd:

- The Seahawks trounced the Broncos in their preseason game to start this season. Yeah, it was preseason, says everyone. But it was preseason for both teams - so Seattle was just as rusty as Denver, right? All things equal, I don't know why this doesn't get the Seahawks a little more credit.
- Manning scores a lot of touchdowns, I get it, everyone gets it. But he gets a lot of touchdowns because he throws practically every freakin' play. He's about to play a team that leads the league in interceptions and turnovers. So although there's potential for him to throw some touchdown passes in this game, with every pass he's also running a risk of an interception. Richard Sherman alone intercepts 14% of the passes thrown in his direction, not including the passes he tips or bats down. Then you've got Earl Thomas, Chancellor and Maxwell, too, all of which are interception threats. Yet passing seems to be Denver's only offensive weapon? They better hope they're not passing to Seattle's secondary!

These seem like common sense arguments to me of why Seattle should be seen as having the upper hand in this game, yet America seems obsessed with Peyton Manning's "legacy." I'm concerned that the league is not going to allow Manning to lose.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:53 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Franco Harris, Steelers Hall of Famer.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:30 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
A couple things strike me as odd:

- The Seahawks trounced the Broncos in their preseason game to start this season. Yeah, it was preseason, says everyone. But it was preseason for both teams - so Seattle was just as rusty as Denver, right? All things equal, I don't know why this doesn't get the Seahawks a little more credit.
If you are going to consider this game, then you have to consider that Manning was 11-16 for 163 yards, moving the ball at will against the Seahawks. If I'm not mistaken he played into the second quarter, but not all the way to the half. The Broncos did fumble in that game, but the fumbling is an issue they seem to have reigned in. What were red zone fumbles in that pre-season game have evolved in to the best red zone offense of the season. So while you are considering the final score, others are considering how the Broncos receiving group did not seem to have any problems getting open against the Seahawks secondary. Most fans write off pre-season though because few games actually game plan.

Quote:
- Manning scores a lot of touchdowns, I get it, everyone gets it. But he gets a lot of touchdowns because he throws practically every freakin' play. He's about to play a team that leads the league in interceptions and turnovers. So although there's potential for him to throw some touchdown passes in this game, with every pass he's also running a risk of an interception. Richard Sherman alone intercepts 14% of the passes thrown in his direction, not including the passes he tips or bats down. Then you've got Earl Thomas, Chancellor and Maxwell, too, all of which are interception threats. Yet passing seems to be Denver's only offensive weapon? They better hope they're not passing to Seattle's secondary!
Manning does not throw on virtually every play. The Broncos have a vastly under rated running game, with Moreno and Ball combining for 1597 rushing yards and 14 rushing TDs. Hardly the kind of production you'd expect from a team whose "only offensive weapon" is their passing game. Also, as often as Manning threw this year he only threw 10 picks. He's been a master at throwing where only his guys can get it. That will be a bigger challenge against the Seahawks secondary, but keep in mind, Seattle has not matched up against a receiving threat anywhere close to the level of this Broncos group.

Quote:
These seem like common sense arguments to me of why Seattle should be seen as having the upper hand in this game, yet America seems obsessed with Peyton Manning's "legacy." I'm concerned that the league is not going to allow Manning to lose.
They may seem like common sense arguments to you, but there is a reason why nobody is talking about the pre-season game. Assuming the Broncos have only one offensive weapon...really only someone who has not not seen a single Broncos game this year would say such a thing. Manning has checked into run plays a lot this season. As for the matchup between the Seahawks secondary and the Broncos receivers, that has been discussed almost nonstop these past two weeks.

Fortunately this game is getting close. I've stopped reading most media analysis because I just can't take any more new spin on the same old story lines. I'm ready for this game to begin already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football