U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Super Bowl be moved to Saturday?
Yes. Move to Saturday 20 62.50%
No. Keep it on Sunday 11 34.38%
No. Move it to a different day. I'll explain below 0 0%
I hate football and don't care. (Why am I on the football board again?) 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM

894 posts, read 732,897 times

Advertisements

Would you like to see the Super Bowl moved to Saturday instead of Sunday?

I believe it would end up bigger than New Years Eve. Employers would certainly get more productivity on Monday's.

I can see how bars and restaurants might not like it since Sunday's are usually not a strong day for them but overall, I see no reason why Saturday wouldn't be a better fit.

It's now at the point where I basically stay at home and watch the game because of how late it gets done on Sunday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,643,126 times
How about...
choice #4: I like football, and I know my opinion won't change a thing.

That is where I am.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,164,458 times
Sunday all the way. Have other chores to complete during the weekend and want to get them over with before the big game.

"Omaha !!!!, Haaut !!!!" .

Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,844,202 times
I'll add another option to the poll:

Make the Monday after a national holiday.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,766,104 times
I'm generally not a big fan of change when it comes to the NFL. This is one area I would love to see change. Make it on Saturday. Enough with this nonsense of the game ending late on a Sunday night when people have to work.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,391,848 times
I'm not too high on making it a Saturday game, but I think they could very easily move up the kickoff by 2-3 hours. I'd prefer that, and I'm in the Mountain Time Zone.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:17 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,533,274 times
Saturday would be great. The ability to drink and eat to my heart's content with friends while watching the biggest game of the year and not worry about going to work the next day is enticing. Plus, I'm in the Pacific time zone so for me the game doesn't even end that late, but still.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,275,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Would you like to see the Super Bowl moved to Saturday instead of Sunday?

I believe it would end up bigger than New Years Eve. Employers would certainly get more productivity on Monday's.
And the NFL should care about this...why?

Quote:
I can see how bars and restaurants might not like it since Sunday's are usually not a strong day for them but overall, I see no reason why Saturday wouldn't be a better fit.
You haven't made an argument that it would be a better fit.

Quote:
It's now at the point where I basically stay at home and watch the game because of how late it gets done on Sunday night.
The NFL cares that you watch the game, not where you watch it.

More to the point, the NFL cares about using Saturday as a lead-up to the game. TV specials, more airtime to sell, more ramping up of the anticipation. Oh, and all those forking over the big money to go to the game? They want the entire weekend experience. Ditto for all the restaurants and hotels in New York/Miami/New Orleans/San Diego/wherever that will be seeing a massive influx of customers all through the weekend, not just through Saturday. And those local markets competing for the Super Bowl do indeed matter to the NFL. The NFL brings a lot of money into those cities. In return, NFL owners are massively subsidized by municipalities, they get their anti-trust exemption, they get their tax-free status. Those customers - the ones with big wallents - are the ones that matter. You - the customers that go to Joe's Sports Bar - don't matter much at all to the NFL.

The NFL is a business. Moving the Super Bowl to Saturday, from a business point of view, makes absolutely no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or