Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:06 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times

Advertisements

Interesting that of last year's crop of young, exciting quarterbacks, Russell Wilson was almost an afterthought, now he's the one in the Super Bowl.
*Griffin had a terrible injury and season, and his star has diminished quickly, and he's been surpassed in the 'best young qb' discussions by people like Nick Foles. I wouldn't count him out for being great, but it looks far shakier than it did 13 months ago.
*Luck went down in the playoffs, but through no fault of his own. The comeback against the Chiefs said a lot about his leadership, his arm is huge, and he is mobile enough to extend plays. Injuries around him hurt - it will remain to be seen whether personnel issues will hold him back.
*Kaepernick is physically gifted, great running ability and a rifle for an arm. Some of the throws he made against the Seahawks were ridiculous. But three turnovers in the 4th quarter points to a guy who is also prone to the big mistake, though I can't fault him for the last one - it was just a great defensive play. It seems that he sometimes doesn't have a good sense of when the rush is about to get him. Also, though I'm guessing it was Harbaugh's decision, the lack of urgency when SF got the ball back on the last drive, running off over a minute to get a first down, would have driven me nuts if I was a Niner fan.
*Wilson won't get credit with the stat/fantasy fans, but he helps his team win. After that boneheaded mistake on the first play from scrimmage, he really didn't make a mistake the rest of the game, other than a questionable handoff on Lynch's fumble and the bad intentional grounding he took, though ultimately that didn't cost them. He's a bit more dynamic than the typical game manager, but he's in that mold.

If I was picking, I'd take Luck first, then Wilson. I'd take Kaepernick before Griffin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Interesting that of last year's crop of young, exciting quarterbacks, Russell Wilson was almost an afterthought, now he's the one in the Super Bowl.
*Griffin had a terrible injury and season, and his star has diminished quickly, and he's been surpassed in the 'best young qb' discussions by people like Nick Foles. I wouldn't count him out for being great, but it looks far shakier than it did 13 months ago.
*Luck went down in the playoffs, but through no fault of his own. The comeback against the Chiefs said a lot about his leadership, his arm is huge, and he is mobile enough to extend plays. Injuries around him hurt - it will remain to be seen whether personnel issues will hold him back.
*Kaepernick is physically gifted, great running ability and a rifle for an arm. Some of the throws he made against the Seahawks were ridiculous. But three turnovers in the 4th quarter points to a guy who is also prone to the big mistake, though I can't fault him for the last one - it was just a great defensive play. It seems that he sometimes doesn't have a good sense of when the rush is about to get him. Also, though I'm guessing it was Harbaugh's decision, the lack of urgency when SF got the ball back on the last drive, running off over a minute to get a first down, would have driven me nuts if I was a Niner fan.
*Wilson won't get credit with the stat/fantasy fans, but he helps his team win. After that boneheaded mistake on the first play from scrimmage, he really didn't make a mistake the rest of the game, other than a questionable handoff on Lynch's fumble and the bad intentional grounding he took, though ultimately that didn't cost them. He's a bit more dynamic than the typical game manager, but he's in that mold.

If I was picking, I'd take Luck first, then Wilson. I'd take Kaepernick before Griffin.
Wilson was sacked four times and honestly, was not impressive. Cam Newton is one of my favorite new QBs. Which you didn't mention. I don't think Wilson will be in the NFL for more than five years. He is so small to play QB and I have a feeling he will suffer an injury. He is just too small, IMO. He is not exciting to watch. I enjoy watching Luck and Griffin much more than Wilson. I am a Niners fan living in Portland and I have to see Wilson on insurance commercials daily so that adds to my annoyance.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
All QBs are not created equal. Wilson is on the best team of the 4 you mentioned. Do you honestly Wilson would be 2nd on your list if he were playing for the Jaguars or Browns.. or even the Redskins like RGIII. no.. probably not.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Young QBs playing on rookie contracts allow their teams to load up at other positions; but once Wilson and Kap get paid, it will have a negative effect on their respective rosters.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
KC is a third year player, not a second.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Personally I think Andrew Luck has the most up side. It will be interesting to see these young guns going forward. Luck can run but he seems to be more of a pocket passer and when I watch him, seems like he will be a more complete QB.

I think the cap hits for these players will affect these teams, push comes to shove, free agency is great, adding players to beef up your team but somewhere down the road, everyone needs to be paid.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,489 times
With Quarterbacks drafted in the past three years, I would rank my top 5 like this:

1. Luck
2. Newton
3. Kaepernick
4. Foles
5. Wilson
6. Dalton
7. RGIII

Wilson has a VERY strong team around him which makes him look much better than he is. I agree with a poster above that doesn't see him playing another 5 years in the league. He will suffer and injury and will severely limit his career.

I think Luck and Newton will have the strongest careers and have the most upside of the QBs. I do agree that once these QBs begin to get PAID their teams around them will worsen and they won't have the same insane stats.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Wilson walked into a dream scenario. I mean seriously, has a rookie QB ever walked into a better situation? #1 defense in the league, top 5 running back.

I honestly believe that Foles is a better QB than all of them except Luck. I'm an RG3/Redskins homer, but Griffin has a lot to prove after his crap year this year (though he didn't benefit from a good defense like Wilson or Kaepernick).

Dalton is good, but man...when he's bad, he's BAD.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
I had limited it to guys who came on the scene last year, which is why I left Newton and Dalton out. I know Kaepernick is in his third year but he didn't play as a rookie, and Foles wasn't in anyone's conversation last year. I know Wilson is on the best team and is probably the least 'skilled', but sometimes intangibles are worth more - I think he has them.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:12 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,523 times
In my opinion Wilson doesn't have the weapons at wide receiver that Luck or Griffin has had. Not to mention he doesn't have the Arm, Speed, or size that the other have. Yet he's not a turnover machine like some of the others. He probably wont be the reason why a team loses a game.

Wilson plays a bit more of a traditional style of QB despite his size. Unlike RG3 who's seems like he will be a Vick 2.0, and probably another coach killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football