U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst "Choke" in a Superbowl ever?
Yes! 39 62.90%
No... There have been worst 23 37.10%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM

21,524 posts, read 14,343,579 times

Advertisements

Yea, thats a fair enough argument. The only other choke I've seen like this was when Buffalo got shellacked by Dallas in Pasadena in 1993. San Fran. was clearly a much better team before they blew out Denver 55-10.

Record setting AFC offenses don't fare well in the SB. The best defense was 12-3 against the best offense in the SB before tonight, now its 13-3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM

2,735 posts, read 3,266,765 times
Will not claim to be an American Football connoisseur, but - God Damn - seems like the Bronco's loosing pace was set from the moment Ramirez hiked the ball past Manning's head. From then on, the Brocos seemed to have lost focus.

Did they choke? In my opinion, sadly, . . . hell yeah they did!

Congrats to the Seahawks!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 PM

13,925 posts, read 19,137,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Will not claim to be an American Football connoisseur, but - God Damn - seems like the Bronco's loosing pace was set from the moment Ramirez hiked the ball past Manning's head. From then on, the Brocos seemed to have lost focus.
I think the fatal blow was our coverage team going full retard and letting Harvin run by them.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,606,588 times
Anyone who actually believe that Denver and Peyton Manning "choked" is revealing they don't understand the game of football.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I think the fatal blow was our coverage team going full retard and letting Harvin run by them.
The bigger problem was a bad Denver secondary. Denver was a team that was built to win with offense. They had not played a team like Seattle at all and just like I tried to tell everyone here Denver hadn't faced a QB like Wilson. Moreover, exactly like I said, Peyton's a great QB - and he still is - but he was facing a defense that was going to cover his targets and unlike Aaron Rodgers, Manning can't move the pocket with him. If the pocket collapses, and if Seattlevcan keep WRs covered, then Mannings a lot more mortal. By contrast, Wilson can create options for Seattle. Beast Mode gets stuffed early? No problem, Wilson moves around and waits til a receiver gets open - or becomes a runner himself. People are saying Peyton "choked" but actually his stats were okay. It's as much in the lack of physical play in defense and poor play by receivers as much as it is on Manning. The better team won.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 PM

6,551 posts, read 9,065,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
It was no choke, they but whipped by a far superior team...
Yeah you choke when you lose to a team you should beat. Tom Jackson said from the begining that the Seahawks looked like an NFL team playing a college team out there. So the Seahawks just had more power.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,860,878 times
It wasn't a choke but a mis-match of teams. I feel as a Niner fan, my team played an awesome, competitive game against the Seahawks in the NFC Championship game AND at their home. The NFC is pretty good right now. To see the Broncos play IN the Super Bowl and get basically shut out(almost) on neutral field is hard but that is why being a fan has it's ups and downs. Today's game was just sad to watch.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 PM

2,746 posts, read 2,367,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
So the Seahawks just had more power.
or more Performance Enhancing Drugs, considering they lead the NFL in drug use. Sorry, I couldn't resist. But it makes me wonder how many of the Sea-Roids are still using them at the same rate, because that defense looks a step ahead of everybody. Maybe they're just that good.

Engel: Where is all the PED outrage over Seahawks? | FOX Sports on MSN

Seahawks lead the league in PED suspensions since 2010 | ProFootballTalk

Old 02-02-2014, 10:37 PM

Seattles defense is the best since Tampa's in 2002. Similar results

Old 02-02-2014, 10:40 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,056,748 times
This was definitely the biggest choke I've ever seen in Super Bowl history. While I agree the Seahawks were the far superior team, there were too many blunders on Denver's part that contributed to the spanking. The game should have been a lot closer with proper ball care and execution even though Seattle would've won regardless. There was the safety to start the game in addition to the costly fumbles and interceptions that I believe were all related to Super Bowl jitters.

If Denver doesn't spot Seattle 5 points to start the game, if Peyton throws the ball away instead of that pick 6, and if Thomas doesn't fumble when they're marching down the field, then the game wouldn't have been a blowout. And why on Earth would you ever kick to Percy Harvin to start the 2nd half? It makes no sense. That guy is well rested and too dangerous. I mean, the Broncos made a point of not testing Richard Sherman, but Harvin is just as deadly on the other side of the ball. And where was Denver's D at?

Since I watched Denver all year and didn't see them play this badly, I conclude that it was a choke job. Whatever that performance was, it is proven once again with the Seahawks victory that good defense trumps a good offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football