Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst "Choke" in a Superbowl ever?
Yes! 39 61.90%
No... There have been worst 24 38.10%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,011,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Bad plays happen in big games -teams recover once they have time to settle down. Denver never recovered because Seattles defensive pressure tool away their options and never gave manning good options. That's different from a choke
That's the way I see it too. Seattle's defense was just too much for Denver. Really, the Seahawks played an outstanding game in all aspects. I don't think any team would have beaten them yesterday. With that being said, it was fairly obvious that Denver gave up later in the game. I don't really see that as a choke either. They were getting their butts whooped and they just gave up...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 03:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
One team showed up focused and determined. One team just showed up and it showed. It reminded me of when a Young Dallas Cowboys team laid a beat down on the Bills.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,495,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Richard Sherman was a non-factor.
Oh come on now. Manning only threw 3-4 passes in his direction...and for good reason!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,380,197 times
Manning and the Broncos choked on a seagull! Surely, most spectators expected much more from Manning and the Broncos.

The Broncos' defense appeared way too porous. They (the Broncos) seemed too anxious to get back into scoring position too quickly, thus exacerbating their lack of focus which resulted in additional mistakes (e.g., pass interceptions).

Hat's off to the Seahawks!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Super Bowl IV...........1970

Minnesota Vikings were a 13 point favorite and the performance by the Vikings was so bad KC Chief coach Hank Stramn laughed and compared the Vikings antics to a .." Chinese fire drill "

Old 02-04-2014, 10:42 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,457,200 times
People misread the Vikings ever since the franchise came into being. One of the best regular season teams ever, especially under Bud Grant. But even the Purple People Eaters couldn't handle Super Bowl conditions. When the original owners departed, it only got worse.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,770,667 times
I knew the minute I saw Manning on the sideline before the game it was over. He, the more experienced, seasoned veteran had that, "deer in headlights" lost and confused look. For some professional athletes, that is how it works. When you get the end all, be all, final, they take it all in and panic and forget everything that got them there. He could not play his game and Seattle fed on it and picked up more and more steam as the game went on.

I think this ranks in the top 2 all-time superbowl chokes for sure. It was the most boring superbowl I ever recall, that is for sure.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,457,200 times
Here's an interesting theory. Manning knew something no one else on the field knew. Something that meant he wasn't bringing his A game. What was it? Manning would know. Maybe there's something going on with the whole Manning family. Look at Eli's year. Seriously, it looks like the Mannings aren't themselves this year. But families aren't necessarily open about their private woes. Yeh, this is a pretty radical theory, but so are all the attempts to explain this blowout.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,427,310 times
I think the Seahawks was just more more passionate about this game. They wanted it more and also to prove to everybody that they could do it.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,337,043 times
Apparently the Seattle defense figured out how to read Manning. For such a great QB that obviously puts down the yards, I didn't expect any D to read him like a book. But apparently Seattle did. Sherman was saying you could see it in his eyes where he would go. If you can read a QB that well, it doesn't matter how many head fakes and audibles you call, you're gonna get stomped.

Can you teach an old dog new tricks? That's the question for Manning. If he can get even trickier and if he could adapt to new defensive strategies, then he will be far more lethal next season.

Another thing: Denver needs to get better all around teams. Their defensive line played OK. Their offensive line sucked, their receivers must have mini black holes that suck in all the balls so there's no need to develop them more. You can't build a team on a 3 man offensive team. You have to have a unit that plays well together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football