U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM

5,107 posts, read 4,958,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Size doesn't trump personality and intelligence. It remains to be seen if anybody available this year has the intangibles to be a franchise QB. Think about Romo and Sanchez. Was it lack of size or arm that made them mediocre? Or ability to execute a game plan?
It was/is lack of leadership that has relegated Romo to mediocrity and Sanchez to the bench. Manziel has focus and he plays well on the big stage which is precisely what the Texans need....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,346,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
It was/is lack of leadership that has relegated Romo to mediocrity and Sanchez to the bench. Manziel has focus and he plays well on the big stage which is precisely what the Texans need....
Focus on what? Seems like he could encounter problems with his off-field activities. Like Michael Vick, the last guy who wowed the industry for similar skills.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,070,335 times
Packers and Saints didn't have great defenses. Neither did the ravens or the colts when the won it.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM

5,107 posts, read 4,958,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Focus on what? Seems like he could encounter problems with his off-field activities. Like Michael Vick, the last guy who wowed the industry for similar skills.
Manziel is not organizing dog fights. He had a lot of attention on him after winning the Heisman in his freshman year and still kept his focus on the field, not once having a bad game.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Packers and Saints didn't have great defenses. Neither did the ravens or the colts when the won it.
True of the Packers. Clay Matthews was their one standout. But Ravens have always been about defense. Suggs and Lewis were major talents. Take a look at the 2012 rankings. Ravens were second in net turnovers and third in overall defense.
2012 NFL Team Defense Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Status: "Moon landing 50th anniversary July 20." (set 5 days ago)

46,943 posts, read 37,096,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
So we got treated to the number #1 Offense vs the number #2 defense this Sunday. Long story short the Top defense completely owned. I have been saying for months we Texans fans are too obessed with A QB when we clearly need to fix the leaks in are other areas as well. I still belive that a team can go to the superbowl with a decent QB but without a great defense they are not going to win. Dispite not winning manning actually completed the majority of his passes, but the Hawks defense was able to shut them down time after time, they were able to disrupt plays, make manning throw before he was ready and a hundred other things. Yes you need a Great QB to make plays happen but you also need a great recivers and great defense to force turn overs. So did this game change your mind on what the Texans should focus the most on ?
No. And it's because every game is different. Granted, what's happened's happened, but the Seahawks could have just as easily played poorly and Manning would have beaten them. Every day is a different day. That said, the Texans should get the quarterback with the first pick when you've got a couple or three good options available. That's still going to be the most important thing. There'll be plenty of good line players and backs in subsequent rounds, and they often fall into those rounds anyway.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:16 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,900,220 times
Manziel was not elected as a captain on his team...despite winning the Heisman trophy.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 PM

I see him as a "me" guy. That isn't a good thing for a team leader.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:38 AM

90 posts, read 75,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
So we got treated to the number #1 Offense vs the number #2 defense this Sunday. Long story short the Top defense completely owned. I have been saying for months we Texans fans are too obessed with A QB when we clearly need to fix the leaks in are other areas as well. I still belive that a team can go to the superbowl with a decent QB but without a great defense they are not going to win. Dispite not winning manning actually completed the majority of his passes, but the Hawks defense was able to shut them down time after time, they were able to disrupt plays, make manning throw before he was ready and a hundred other things. Yes you need a Great QB to make plays happen but you also need a great recivers and great defense to force turn overs. So did this game change your mind on what the Texans should focus the most on ?
This already occurred. 2001 NFL Draft. Texans made the right move

Old 02-15-2014, 09:51 AM

I think there are more factors than just QBs and D. Seattle blew out teams twice at MetLife. Are they really so good they could walk in to ANY stadium with the same result? I'm pretty diehard for Seattle, but I'd hate to see that myth get started. Watch what happens if they don't get home field all through the playoffs in 2015. I really want them to repeat, but I'm not drinking any Koolaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football