U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 PM

13,222 posts, read 17,963,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venerable Bede View Post
I was amused by the post-Super Bowl anger and vehemence of the sports pundits who had been promoting Manning as the greatest of all time for the past several weeks. It was as though his performance personally offended them, and now they were saying things like "he can never again be seriously considered as among the top five."
Actually, I was most amused by Trent Dilfer vehemently defending Manning and getting irritated with Cris Carter in the process.

Deion Sanders was very succinct: "When they win, it's all Peyton, and when he doesn't it's the team? Come on."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 01:59 PM

10,462 posts, read 5,930,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venerable Bede View Post
I was amused by the post-Super Bowl anger and vehemence of the sports pundits who had been promoting Manning as the greatest of all time for the past several weeks. It was as though his performance personally offended them, and now they were saying things like "he can never again be seriously considered as among the top five." But let's face it: his performance definitely was un-great, and it exposed the myth that he is some genius who can develop a game plan to cope with anything. (I'll admit it: Toward the end of the game, I was thinking "This is so bad, I wonder what Tim Tebow would have done in this situation?") We all tend to tilt in favor of those who are currently playing in all sports, but "greatest of all time" covers a lot of territory and I honestly don't think Manning ever belonged in the conversation. I can't stand Tiger Woods, but his place in that discussion in golf is head and shoulders above Manning's status among quarterbacks.
I think what you heard is disappointment from those who have claimed that Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of all time. This was his best and probably last chance to stake a claim to that title and they realized with this performance that he will probably never achieve that status.

Sunday should have done nothing to diminsh him as an all time great to answer the thread title. What it did was put to bed the notion that he is the greatest of all time.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:00 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,340,532 times
Anybody talk anymore about Bart Starr, Roger Staubak, Sammy Baugh,or Sonny Jurgenson? Or are post merger quarterbacks the only ones worth considering?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:02 PM

6,563 posts, read 9,074,058 times
I do think it can be said that Peyton's lack of mobility played a part in hurting him. Pocket passers will become one deminsional against that type of defense.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM

Brady is a pocket passer. Is this the beginning of the end for him? I can't see him retiring until he decides to or Belichick puts his foot down. But we've seen his vulnerability. Take him out of his present pushover division and would he look world-beating?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:12 PM

8,571 posts, read 5,384,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I do think it can be said that Peyton's lack of mobility played a part in hurting him. Pocket passers will become one deminsional against that type of defense.
absolutely agree with this, but the seahawks was going to take this one regardless.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM

Very likely, but a mobile QB like Luck, Kaepernick, Newton, Griffin, or Foles could have made it more interesting.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
DT is 6'3 and 230 with 4.4 speed. I've seen him take countless screens 50 to 60 yards this year. DT is BY FAR better before and after the catch than anyone on SF, in fact he was the #1 wr in yac this year. Decker (who is also 6'3 and 215 pounds) and Welker both return punts and are excellent is open space. Davis is really the only threat to break it to the house on SF. I am not even sure if you are being serious?

I'm not arguing Kaeps development, I agree he is still learning. However, you said SF has better offensive weapons and that is has to be agreed upon. I disagree strongly. It is not even close, Denver has the better offensive weapons
The stats mean nothing. Denver played against cupcake defenses - one of the points I made before the Super Bowl was actually played. Denver padded stats. SF's receivers are more physical and more difficult to cover than Denver's, and that's a fact. Don't care what point totals Denver had coming into the game because, as we saw, once they played a real defense, they scored...8.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I think what you heard is disappointment from those who have claimed that Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of all time. This was his best and probably last chance to stake a claim to that title and they realized with this performance that he will probably never achieve that status.

Sunday should have done nothing to diminsh him as an all time great to answer the thread title. What it did was put to bed the notion that he is the greatest of all time.
I think you see it even on these threads. Everyone was convinced that Denver was the team, which is understandable. A lot of it is subconscious stuff. Denver has famous players: Manning and Welker. Before that they had Tebow. They had Elway. The had the Orange Crush. Denver is a more accomplished franchise. The Broncos have built up a fanbase over four decades. The Seahawks used to be their AFC West doormats.

Only the real NFL nerds really had the insight to call this game in favor of Seattle, and even some of the former NFL players drank the Denver kool-aid - probably because, like most people, they find offense 'sexy' and fell in love with Manning's comeback and his outstanding performance. People just didn't appreciate the grind-it-out approach of Seattle. For some, it's still hard to accept.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 PM

368 posts, read 802,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Deion Sanders was very succinct: "When they win, it's all Peyton, and when he doesn't it's the team? Come on."
Spot on.

I posted this in another forum, but it's more suited to this one. Peyton Manning scored more points for Seattle than he did for Denver.

He owns a huge portion of this beatdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or