U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

513 posts, read 574,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The stats mean nothing. Denver played against cupcake defenses - one of the points I made before the Super Bowl was actually played. Denver padded stats. SF's receivers are more physical and more difficult to cover than Denver's, and that's a fact. Don't care what point totals Denver had coming into the game because, as we saw, once they played a real defense, they scored...8.
Lol, ok bud, it is far from a fact. The offense crapped the bed, but Den wr>>>SF wr's.

It is not even close
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 PM

1,946 posts, read 1,336,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Spot on.

I posted this in another forum, but it's more suited to this one. Peyton Manning scored more points for Seattle than he did for Denver.

He owns a huge portion of this beatdown.
Guy gets most of the credit for all the records and wins in the regular season. Guy should get most of the blame for this loss too. Only fair.

Still one of the best all time in the regular season. Playoff superstar he is not.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,339,779 times
The thread subject says "among the greatest of all time". I don't think anything has deprived him of that. Some wanted him to be THE greatest of all time. I'm not sure that's beyond debate. I still think you have to look at Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino, Steve Young, Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre and a few others. I won't pick one. But it is far from clear to me, despite these records, that Peyton is THE greatest of all time. He doesn't even play under the same rules as these other guys. Force him to play with the same rulebook as Joe Montana or Terry Bradshaw and see how he fares. Terry got four rings, more than Peyton, more than Eli, more than Tom. How can Peyton be clearly better than Bradshaw?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 PM

8,571 posts, read 5,382,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Very likely, but a mobile QB like Luck, Kaepernick, Newton, Griffin, or Foles could have made it more interesting.
This is true. The seahawks beat the 49ers in what I thought was a pretty good NFC championship game to get to the superbowl and Kaepernick gave them trouble early on or much of the first half. I always thought each conference championship games were actually better than the superbowl because, the teams lay it on the line trying to get to the superbowl.

Last edited by ipaper; 02-04-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think you see it even on these threads. Everyone was convinced that Denver was the team, which is understandable. A lot of it is subconscious stuff. Denver has famous players: Manning and Welker. Before that they had Tebow. They had Elway. The had the Orange Crush. Denver is a more accomplished franchise. The Broncos have built up a fanbase over four decades. The Seahawks used to be their AFC West doormats.

Only the real NFL nerds really had the insight to call this game in favor of Seattle, and even some of the former NFL players drank the Denver kool-aid - probably because, like most people, they find offense 'sexy' and fell in love with Manning's comeback and his outstanding performance. People just didn't appreciate the grind-it-out approach of Seattle. For some, it's still hard to accept.
I was with seattle on this the entire time and I just had that feeling that Denver was going to fizzle out in the big game. The Seahawks had the #1 D and the 49ers had the #3 D and they played each other three times during the season with seattle taking two of the three to get to the superbowl. The #1 D don't always make it to the superbowl but when they do, they have a pretty good track record. I personally felt whoever was left standing in the NFC championship game was going to go all the way. Also this was not the first superbowl where the Broncos were blown out. The 42-10 lost to the Redskins was almost just as bad. They had a great regular season though.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,883,509 times
One of the greatest...absolutely!...the greatest...absolutely not!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 PM

Not only the regular team was passionate, the 12th man was too. There were there by the thousands. And loud (though not as loud as in the home stadium). But even in the game against the Giants, the Seahawks showed dominance. So the predictions of many people were influenced by the glitz of Peyton's year. I don't think these predictions were made for rational reasons. They were pure enthusiasm. And wrong.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 AM

109 posts, read 115,745 times
He is still one of the best no matter what. You cannot take away his amazing accomplishments as winning a Super Bowl is not in my criteria of the best QBs ever.

Dan Marino is one of the best ever and mentioned on many list but no one talks about his lack of rings.

Manning is one of the best ever no matter if he never wins a ring at all.

Winning a SB gives some players a head start of being mentioned and fade away. This guy has never faded away and still going strong after all these years.

This loss was a total team loss. Denver player horrible on all phases of the game and some people pin it on him?

No QB ever can match his overall numbers. 5 MVPs and so on.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Dude View Post
He is still one of the best no matter what. You cannot take away his amazing accomplishments as winning a Super Bowl is not in my criteria of the best QBs ever.

Dan Marino is one of the best ever and mentioned on many list but no one talks about his lack of rings.

Winning a SB gives some players a head start of being mentioned and fade away. This guy has never faded away and still going strong after all these years.

This loss was a total team loss. Denver player horrible on all phases of the game and some people pin it on him?

Have you actually checked out all the things you just mentioned? As for the season TDs, as I say all these QB's play with a different rule book. When Joe Montana played, his targets could be hit in lots of ways that are a penalty, a fine, or even suspension today.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Dude View Post

Peyton Manning is a good QB and I will give him that. I'm sure he would give up some of those numbers in exchange for another superbowl title though. There are QB's out there with lesser numbers but have more superbowl wins in their career. He have been in three superbowl with one win and two losses and a post-season record of 23-11. I don't know about the no QB ever can match his overall numbers statement. I'm sure someone must have said that about somebody before Peyton came along. The saying is, records are meant to broken and at some point in history somebody will eventually do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or