U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:10 PM

8,839 posts, read 5,510,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I didn't read this whole thread, but the premise of the OP is laughable. The only way I can figure someone would come up with this opinion is if they either didn't watch the game or don't know a lot about football.
Or either they are really big fans of Peyton Manning and the Broncos and just cant believe they went down like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,380,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
The Broncos just played poorly from the opening second to the last second of the game. You just cant sugarcoat their dismal performance and can only chalk it up as a good old fashion beat down. It also didn't help that were playing a dominating defense in every phase of the game, that they had no answer for and could not adjust during half time. Poor performance vs a #1 dominating defense = a blowout all day long. These guys are really going to be nasty next season. I'm a steelers fan forever but I have no problem giving credit where it is due. I just hope we don't have these guys on our schedule next season, lol.
Anyone buying the theory that the defense knew exactly what Peyton intended to do? A guy who chooses a play a the line of scrimmage is totally dependent on secrecy of his plan. His team has to know their roles, so he can't just call for the snap. He must inform everyone what the name of the play is. Usually in the huddle. But Peyton wants the advantage of waiting till time is almost off the clock. Decode his communications and you can stop most plays and even turn some into points for your team.

Last edited by Beenhere4ever; 02-05-2014 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,850,121 times
Anyone who dismisses the Seattle defense, arguably the best defensive team since the 85 Bears, as not being key to winning the super bowl is an idiot. Plain and simple.

Not only did Seattle dominate Denver in the superbowl, Seattle also dominated them in the preseason, won by a similar margin. Seattle also beat down Drew Brees (bittersweet for me, as I was at Purdue when he brought us to the Rose Bowl ... ah well, he made it right by winning his own super bowl), another excellent QB and good team. They also defeated the 49ers, in my opinion, the best all around team in the NFL today.

Seattle's defense is that good. And the MVP choice highlights this.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 AM

The "best" arguments are highly speculative. But they were in a separate league against Denver this year. In playoff football, you only have to be good enough to clobber who you face. That's fundamental to elimination. Teams that might beat you get eliminated, and you end up playing a team that eliminated a couple of teams they faced. So in MetLife, Seattle totally outclassed Denver on defense. I remember teams from years ago that ONLY scored touchdowns when they were playing defense. Can't tick them off, but I remember thinking "too bad the offense is unable to score".

Old 02-06-2014, 05:24 PM

589 posts, read 873,672 times
What was the name of the qb the bears faced in super bowl XX? Not very memorable... in fact you may have forgotten but they actually used 2 no-name qb's. Not to take away from the bears, they dominated all year, and all playoffs, that year. But as far as the super bowl goes, and all time super bowl matchups, the broncos this year are much better that the patriots were that year.

The bronco's showed up alright, and they were immediately and continuously shut down. They couldn't play their game. The hawks d shut down the crossing routes that they use so much. They didn't fall for the crossing routes, just played zone so as to not get tangled in them, and then could just watch the pass unfold and lay a whallop on whomever was unlucky enough to catch it. Every time they went deep, the coverage was too tight. Manning was pressured and roughed up all night. "Sherman didn't do much" simply means Manning hardly ever threw it his way... gee I wonder why. Whomever he covered was never open. One play when they did throw towards him, deep, Sherman was actually ahead of the receiver, he was in complete control. Wilson's rating was 123. The hits the hawks were dealing out had the broncos visibly shaken and out of their game. That's not because they just "didn't show up" - how insulting to the best team in the league. The hawks had them at every turn. It was like an older brother holding a younger brother by his head, away at an arms length, while the younger brother furiously swipes at the air. You make it seem like the broncos would have lost to anybody on that day and that the hawks had nothing to do with it. Couldn't be more wrong.

I haven't heard any analysts that agree with you, they are all praising the hawks and proclaiming about-face's for picking the broncos. Go back and watch it again, your bias is showing.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 PM

They study game film for games. But often you wonder if anything came out of that. Maybe Pete Caroll and his coaches actually devised a plan based on Peyton's performances throughout the year. I don't find Peyton unpredictable.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,290,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post

Looking just at the superbowl the Seattle D can definitely make a strong argument for supremacy. I think you are into denial territory with your assertion that Seattle didn't win that game. Denver may not have completely shown up but Seattle DEFINITELY did!

This is so true!! For whatever reason the Broncos did not show up. Seattle did show up and they beat the orange socks off of them!! Why would a team work so hard all year than go to sleep at the biggest game of the year? All bets are off!!!

Old 02-08-2014, 12:21 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,850,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
They study game film for games. But often you wonder if anything came out of that. Maybe Pete Caroll and his coaches actually devised a plan based on Peyton's performances throughout the year. I don't find Peyton unpredictable.
A QB that is predictable is worthless. Just the name of the game. I betcha that other teams will be poring over the tapes from the Broncos games this year and will try to find what Sherman and the rest of the D knew. If it's in the eyes, game over. Manning may as well retire.

I sorta feel like the offensive line was nervous on both sides their first possession. Seattle's D is so good and the 12th man somehow brought just enough noise to drown out the count. That's why when Seattle won the toss, they chose to go on D. Pure psychological warfare. And if Manning is a glass cowboy that rides high and strong ... till he falls, then Seattle knew to knock him off his game early.

Don't get me wrong, if Manning is on fire, he is on FIRE. But if you figure him out, he's not so hard to overcome.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:23 PM

I've forgotten already. Was the bad snap the next play after the kickoff? I'll have to crank up my dvr again (I saved the whole game) The center wasn't known for uncontrollable snaps, was he? I could have sworn that Peyton was still sizing up the defense. Also he wasn't in shotgun, so why wasn't it just a hand-to-hand transfer? I gotta study that closely.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:46 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,897,458 times
To say that the Seattle defense is better than the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens is laughable to me. Seattle barely beat the 49ers in the championship game. If Kapernick wold have thrown the ball a foot further, they would have. Seattle did not shut down the Denver offense in the SB, yeah, I said it. Denver put up big offensive numbers. It's not like they couldn't move the ball on Seattle. It was the turnovers that killed Denver. Yes, that is to Seattle's credit. The turnovers were Forced by Seattle, they were not cheap turnovers. So they deserve all of the accolades for that. Superior defenses totally shut down offenses. Seattle could not shut down Denver. They got the turnover when they needed it but Denver put up a lot of yards on that defense. Plus, Seattle was able to play free and loose for most of the game. They didn't shut down the 49ers, Cardinals, or Panthers. They are a really good defense, but one of the best ever? Uh, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or