U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2014, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,475 posts, read 20,228,856 times
Reputation: 5615

Advertisements

Nothing but poor sports and whinners in here. Make all the excuses you wish, but if the two teams played again tomorrow, Seattle would beat them even worse. Seahawks were superior in every way, there was simply no comparison. After the first few hits, Denver didn't want to play anymore.. Out manned and out classed by better athletics from end to end...
A 100% total team effort and Denver was completely out of their league and over matched.. Even the Seattle towel boys were far superior.
Stop making excuses, Denver will do fine next year as long as they stay away from the NFC. Their entire league is simple second class when compared...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
5,147 posts, read 6,347,195 times
Reputation: 1561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Nothing but poor sports and whinners in here. Make all the excuses you wish, but if the two teams played again tomorrow, Seattle would beat them even worse. Seahawks were superior in every way, there was simply no comparison. After the first few hits, Denver didn't want to play anymore.. Out manned and out classed by better athletics from end to end...
A 100% total team effort and Denver was completely out of their league and over matched.. Even the Seattle towel boys were far superior.
Stop making excuses, Denver will do fine next year as long as they stay away from the NFC. Their entire league is simple second class when compared...
Don't totally disagree. But if there's an implication that Seattle failed to give effort for the entire game, that's wrong. They were glad to be there and maintained intensity. That to me is a model for every professional sport. It is an honor to be playing for the championship. There's no excuse for slacking off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,475 posts, read 20,228,856 times
Reputation: 5615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Don't totally disagree. But if there's an implication that Seattle failed to give effort for the entire game, that's wrong. They were glad to be there and maintained intensity. That to me is a model for every professional sport. It is an honor to be playing for the championship. There's no excuse for slacking off.
There is no implication from me that Seattle failed in any way to give total effort. They were full throttle for beginning to end. There was no slacking off on their part, however Denver very obviously didn't like getting hit by a hard hitting defense and were hearing footsteps after they discovered how hard Seattle hits..
In the two games played this year between the two teams, the total score was 83-18. AFC should be playing against middle class college teams...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
5,147 posts, read 6,347,195 times
Reputation: 1561
So Denver played NO physical team before facing Seattle? Maybe true, but the odds seem against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 01:51 PM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,451,291 times
Reputation: 6817
Not as physical as Seattle ... not particularly close

They'll get the opportunity next year though when they play the NFC West - all 4 teams in that division bring it at a different level and when they play against each other it ramps up even more

Seattle, when at their best, also tackle like mad ....... they swarm the ball and end the play - this is part of the reason why they had the best passing Ds in the league again ....... Denver was never able to get them to back off, so they just swallowed everyone up and punished them

Seattle has an above average size & speed component to their defense and a bunch of guys that play through the whistle and look to hit as much as possible - if a team isn't prepared for that it can throw them off

During the SB they were more focused and locked in than normal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
5,147 posts, read 6,347,195 times
Reputation: 1561
Any team can do that with the right team philosophy. And a few pieces. How many times have I watched ex-pros critique a team by saying "learn to TACKLE" There's nothing mysterious about Seattle in that regard. They are conscientious about football fundamentals. Other coaches should schedule extra D practices till that squad goes out and shows they remember what they've known all the time they've played a defensive position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,451,291 times
Reputation: 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Any team can do that with the right team philosophy. And a few pieces. How many times have I watched ex-pros critique a team by saying "learn to TACKLE" There's nothing mysterious about Seattle in that regard. They are conscientious about football fundamentals. Other coaches should schedule extra D practices till that squad goes out and shows they remember what they've known all the time they've played a defensive position.
Any team can throw for 500 yards a game with the right team philosophy and a few piece...............

Not really sure what you are trying to get at

Just because other teams could do it doesn't mean that other teams actually do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
5,147 posts, read 6,347,195 times
Reputation: 1561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Any team can throw for 500 yards a game with the right team philosophy and a few piece...............

Not really sure what you are trying to get at

Just because other teams could do it doesn't mean that other teams actually do it
Why should they if all the coaches do is spout some words at team meetings? I worked in quality control. One of my aims was to detect training needs. I never expected a system to work just because someone said it was so good. When humans take a vital role, experience shows if they are sufficiently trained. And you schedule the training and reiterate till you actually see the behavior displayed. Plus, always vital, those who you train need base aptitude. Again, something coaches need skill to evaluate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,451,291 times
Reputation: 6817
So if a team has better players and better coaches they'll get better results

That probably happens in better organization from the top down as well

Seattle did all those things well - better than their peers, which is why they fielded the top defense in the league and one that no other team in the league is more physical than - some teams are better suited than others to deal with this

Back when Mike Holmgren was coach a lot of his offense relied on timing, middle routes, etc .... when they played a physical defense that would disrupt the timing the offense struggled ..... however, most of the time other teams in the league just didn't have the right cards to bring to the table to execute that against them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM
 
90 posts, read 75,587 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
So Denver played NO physical team before facing Seattle? Maybe true, but the odds seem against it.
They played an extremely soft schedule. Chiefs (Twice) is the only legit defense they faced all season. Then in the playoffs they faced one of the weakest playoff teams in the 2nd Round (Chargers).


Denver played awful in the SB: conservative and unwilling to alter their game plan. Whether they would defeat a Panthers, Saints or even Packers under those circumstances, is arguable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top