U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was the second best team in the NFL this season?
San Francisco 41 82.00%
Denver 4 8.00%
New England 1 2.00%
Carolina 0 0%
Other (specify) 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 AM

368 posts, read 307,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The Niners were the second best team this year. He's right about a lot of things, including Michael Crabtree. I've never been impressed with Crabtree from the moment he entered the league. Sherman knows receivers and called him mediocre. I was glad someone in the know acknowledged this.

It is now up to the lazy, oft-injured. pretender Crabtree to prove his doubters wrong next season. Frankly, I'd like to see the Niners get rid of him. Certainly there are many others who are better.

Really great to hear this shutdown CB give props to the Niners. I'm sure the respect is mutual.
Suppose the Giants don't want to franchise Hakeem Nicks and he walks. Would you want the 49ers to pursue him? He had a rough year but he's a very physical receiver with great hands (two musts in a hard-nosed division like the NFC West). A change of scenery might serve him well. The Patriots and Ravens will surely keep an eye on him, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM

5,147 posts, read 6,338,340 times
Interesting that all 3 Seattle losses were close games. They arguably could have won them all. Indianapolis managed the Seattle defense the best.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM

23,631 posts, read 33,424,168 times
Sherman is exactly correct. In fact I think Arizona and Carolina are better than Denver is. I think the AFC is definitely inferior to the NFC at this point.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 AM

368 posts, read 307,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Interesting that all 3 Seattle losses were close games. They arguably could have won them all. Indianapolis managed the Seattle defense the best.
It's interesting, what saved the Colts in that game was the fact that Seahawk safety Jeron Johnson (#32) was terribly close to recovering a blocked punt in the field of play. Had he done that and got Seattle a touchdown rather than a safety, the Hawks are up 17-0 to that point rather than 12-0. He had his left elbow down in the end zone but I don't think he had complete control of the ball until one of his feet or knees touched out of bounds. Seattle's offense moved the ball much of the second half but Indy did a great job forcing them to settle for field goals and that helped them back into the game. Seattle let that one get away. But I digress; Luck took some shots downfield in that game and that's what Peyton should have tried to do more often. Was it the second quarter where D. Thomas had Sherman & Earl Thomas beat and Peyton simply missed him? If he hits his man in stride, the Broncos are right back in it. At least they'd have some points going into the break. You're not going to beat Seattle by dumping the ball off and giving all of those hard-hitting linebackers and DB's the opportunity to nail your receivers. That's exactly what they want you to do. You have to challenge them deep, and it HAS been done this year. Rarely, but it has. T.Y. Hilton did it. Jarius Wright did it. Michael Floyd, too. When you're down by multiple scores, the mentality of "we have nothing else to lose, we might as well TRY it" has to kick in at some point. If nothing else, showing them that you're not afraid to look deep will get them to respect it, and maybe open up some more room for your running back. Denver played right into Seattle's strengths. Those who beat the Seahawks or scored a bunch of points against them did it by challenging them.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:40 AM

3,939 posts, read 3,863,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Sherman is exactly correct. In fact I think Arizona and Carolina are better than Denver is. I think the AFC is definitely inferior to the NFC at this point.
As a life long Niner fan it was hard to see the blow out against the Broncos since it was obvious how dominant the NFC is right now. We called the NFC game, the real SB, on Facebook amongst friends and family. Sherman pissed me off a couple of weeks ago but he sure is right with his latest statement. The NFL has to be excited about this relatively new, intense and organic rivalry between Niners and Seahawks and the fans. I lived in NYC for a decade with a stint in Boston and that Yankee/ Red Sox hate is for real. SF vs Seattle feels real, too!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:00 PM

3,231 posts, read 1,601,267 times
I agree that the 49ers are the second best with the Panthers, Packers and Cardinal being a toss up for third.
If the Denver Broncos played in the NFC I am not sure they were good enough to make it even out the first round in the playoffs. I see no team in the AFC that can match up to the top 5-6 teams in the NFC over a full regular season at this time. Quarterbacking is in the process of a major change, the passing quarterback is not as effective with the big fast defensive backs and defensive linemen that are being sought after in today's game.

Seattle is a team of the future and if Seattle management can keep the team intact we are differently looking at a possible dynasty.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:56 PM

12,247 posts, read 17,993,111 times
^^That would be nice

Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I agree that the 49ers are the second best with the Panthers, Packers and Cardinal being a toss up for third.
If the Denver Broncos played in the NFC I am not sure they were good enough to make it even out the first round in the playoffs. I see no team in the AFC that can match up to the top 5-6 teams in the NFC over a full regular season at this time. Quarterbacking is in the process of a major change, the passing quarterback is not as effective with the big fast defensive backs and defensive linemen that are being sought after in today's game.

Seattle is a team of the future and if Seattle management can keep the team intact we are differently looking at a possible dynasty.
If the Broncos were in the division with Arizona, San Francisco, and Seattle, we can pretty well guess their great stats wouldn't be so great.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 AM

2,946 posts, read 4,876,992 times
Sometimes team styles make for better matchups. Teams can play each twice in a year and team A can blow out team B. Then they can play each other 3 weeks later, and team B will win. We think because one team beats another handedly in one game, then that team must be the better team. A lot of times, it's just that they were better that day. Arizona beat Seattle in Seattle. Does that mean Arizona is the better team?

That's what we love about football that is different than other sports. In the playoffs and SB, you have to be your best that day or you are eliminated. There is no game 2 or best 4 out of 7.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM

Part of it is the humanity of the coach. Coaches don't coach at exactly the same level every day. They are just human beings. Even Jim Harbaugh. I'm pretty sure JH has called dumb stuff in tight situations. But the front office can buffer that to some degree. Which is why I'm more a fan of organizations than field personnel. Players can pull out things in a jam. But good organizations, like the Pittsburgh Steelers, live on. They are the puppet masters. As Dan Snyder in Washington shows, fundamental weakness there leads to violent swings on the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or