Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:06 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicare View Post
So with the NFL season over, any predictions for any big trades or free agency pick-ups this off season?
Personally I hope the Patriots go for a good WR with experience for Brady, and maybe pick up a good pass rush in the draft.
They had a good, experienced WR but let him leave before the year. New England's time has passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
They had a good, experienced WR but let him leave before the year. New England's time has passed.
New England's problem was short sightedness. They had Gronk coming back and Danny Amendola coming aboard. What they failed to understand is that Gronk is one of those players with lots of apparent skill but a long history of injuries. Pretty much the same as Amendola. Got precious little from Gronk. And Amendola just never replaced Welker. Now it has been a LONG time since the team beat everyone out for the championship. I'd go so far as to say that Belichick and Brady inherited a favorable situation, exploited it, raised expectations. But then the front office just let it deteriorate. Over and OVER I hear analysts say "If you have Brady, he'll make it work". Sadly Brady did some things to cast a spell on football minds. But every year, the promise has not be fulfilled. I think Brady needs an understudy bad. It won't be an overnight thing to create a team with quality on both sides of the ball. They can't turn the young guys into the Denver receiver corps fast enough. If these young players are lucky, the owner of the Patriots will begin building something like Carolina or San Francisco. And somewhere along, I think Belichick will drop away, too. I don't think his game design is evolving with the league.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 PM

In the Talib for Browner swap, did the Patriots move forward or backward. Or is it a wash?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:30 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
In the Talib for Browner swap, did the Patriots move forward or backward. Or is it a wash?
The Patriots are a lot better off at corner now than they were at the start of free agency. I like Talib, but he has some injury issues as he failed to finish both AFC title games for New England in the last 2 years. I also don't think he's played all 16 games in 3 or 4 years.

I think the swap was Talib for Revis, not Browner.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:52 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
New England's time has passed.
Um...yeah right. The Pats performed miracles with less than stellar names on both sides last year. They still grabbed a #2 seed and made the conference championship game (for the 3rd straight year). Were it not for a couple of blown calls in NJ and NC, they would have been #1 seed.

The draft hasn't happened and free agency and trading aren't complete yet, but I'd put the Pats up there for a #1 or #2 seed again this year.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Um...yeah right. The Pats performed miracles with less than stellar names on both sides last year. They still grabbed a #2 seed and made the conference championship game (for the 3rd straight year). Were it not for a couple of blown calls in NJ and NC, they would have been #1 seed.

The draft hasn't happened and free agency and trading aren't complete yet, but I'd put the Pats up there for a #1 or #2 seed again this year.
Their division consists of Buffalo, Jets, and Miami; so attaining a top 4 seed is not difficult. With an offensive line that has been getting worse, Brady obviously has been hit more. I have seen this for years with my Steelers. While they have had a decent off season so far, they are not even close to as good as Denver. Like I said before. Yes, their time has passed.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The Patriots are a lot better off at corner now than they were at the start of free agency. I like Talib, but he has some injury issues as he failed to finish both AFC title games for New England in the last 2 years. I also don't think he's played all 16 games in 3 or 4 years.

I think the swap was Talib for Revis, not Browner.
Browner and Revis are both cornerbacks, both headed for the Patriots.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 AM

513 posts, read 695,833 times
Quote:
Their division consists of Buffalo, Jets, and Miami; so attaining a top 4 seed is not difficult. With an offensive line that has been getting worse, Brady obviously has been hit more. I have seen this for years with my Steelers. While they have had a decent off season so far, they are not even close to as good as Denver. Like I said before. Yes, their time has passed.
Seems like every year is the year the Patriots time has passed. Yet each year they have a bye heading into the playoffs

Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Seems like every year is the year the Patriots time has passed. Yet each year they have a bye heading into the playoffs
No matter how LAME the Pats might get, the division just gives it to them. Can't blame the Pats for that. I think the other owners are a step behind in running their teams.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Since the Patriots have been winning their division a lot in the last 10 or so years, that also means they're matched up with the other 3 divisions winners in the AFC from the previous season. This also isn't college where a team can schedule cupcakes for 2 or 3 games. This is the NFL where any team can go out and get a win on any given weekend. So by the Patriots winning their division, that means they're going to have to play 2 additional quality teams that they would not have had to play had they not won their division.

New England cannot help that their division has been weak. Look at the AFC South for many years in the mid to late 2000s. Every division goes through stretches where 1 or 2 teams dominate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football