U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 AM

113 posts, read 494,050 times

Advertisements

So with the NFL season over, any predictions for any big trades or free agency pick-ups this off season?
Personally I hope the Patriots go for a good WR with experience for Brady, and maybe pick up a good pass rush in the draft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:00 AM

5,147 posts, read 6,346,296 times
Who has wide receivers in free agency? Got any names? But I think Brady needs more than that. He's in the same fix as Peyton is. Brady simply has to perform too many miracles. Getting better targets is a bandaid. I suppose he'll have Gronk back. Not sure who else. But maybe he'll also have to do like Peyton and made audible calls in hopes of getting some time to throw accurately. Everybody "assumes" his throws are perfect and the receivers are at fault. That certainly is Brady's wife's analysis, but does she really know football at all? Belichick has to re-engineer his team to be like 11 or 12 years ago when they won Super Bowls. The roster is sort of a rattletrap now that somehow moves down the road as it smokes and pieces fall off. They've lost games they should have won (not against Denver, against some inferior teams).

And this is also the case with a few other teams. Atlanta really needs radical surgery. And the teams on the bottom? I'm not sure what they can do in the short run. They need a multi-year game plan to get where they can be feared again.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:18 PM

513 posts, read 574,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Who has wide receivers in free agency? Got any names? But I think Brady needs more than that. He's in the same fix as Peyton is. Brady simply has to perform too many miracles. Getting better targets is a bandaid. I suppose he'll have Gronk back. Not sure who else. But maybe he'll also have to do like Peyton and made audible calls in hopes of getting some time to throw accurately. Everybody "assumes" his throws are perfect and the receivers are at fault. That certainly is Brady's wife's analysis, but does she really know football at all? Belichick has to re-engineer his team to be like 11 or 12 years ago when they won Super Bowls. The roster is sort of a rattletrap now that somehow moves down the road as it smokes and pieces fall off. They've lost games they should have won (not against Denver, against some inferior teams).

And this is also the case with a few other teams. Atlanta really needs radical surgery. And the teams on the bottom? I'm not sure what they can do in the short run. They need a multi-year game plan to get where they can be feared again.
What? Peytons offense is stacked. If they get Decker back they have the best offensive weapons in the league.

DT top 5 receiver in the NFL.

Decker is about as good as a second option outside receiver you are going to find.

Welker is the best slot receiver to ever play the game.

JT is a mismatch on the field and will probably be viewed as one of the top te's in the league in a few years.

I think Atlanta also has a good chance to get right back in the hunt too. Losing JJ and huge and he should be ready to go next year

Old 02-06-2014, 05:08 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
Free agency? Doesn't happen too much in NE Wisconsin! Now all the Ted T. critics come out, bashing him for not doing much during FA, this year will be no different. First they have to decide which of their own players they want to stay. FA does depend on how much money teams have to spend.

At least all "Rodgers ruining the cap" rumors aren't true. His signing was very team friendly, spread out over 7 years and not all pushed to the back end of the contract. Packers are in the top 10 for cap space. Vikings are right up there, too and Lions and Bears not so much! I checked several places most lists were the same.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Free agency news will start coming out March 11.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 AM

The type of list I was looking for. Some teams need to upgrade key positions. But other teams might look deeper to assure that the highly predictable injuries don't leave them exposed.

Y! SPORTS

Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
Great list! Packers have 17 hitting FA. Finley is listed as #3 on TEs but what will happen with him? He had fusion surgery at #3/4 which is high on the neck, I doubt Packers will go for it. Nick Collins did, too and they wouldn't take a risk on him. He still wants to play. They took Richardson back but his was lower.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:36 PM

March 11 to the draft are going to be exciting times, gauging what each contract does to the balance of the league. Of course, it becomes extremely speculative, but pursuing it does deepen a fan's knowledge of constructing a winning team. For instance, what will Dallas do? Seems obvious that they and Washington SERIOUSLY need defensive help. Monty Kiffin has been demoted to an advisor role. So part of that team's story is who designs defenses in 2014? That's what I'm waiting to find out. NOT a Dallas fan, mind you, wouldn't care if they EVER returned to playoffs, but what happens to them does affect teams I could care about, such as the Giants. Really bummed they took such a steep fall off after their Super Bowl wins. I really enjoyed some of their winning play. From there to being shutout by my favorite team, the Seahawks, is a real rollercoaster drop. They talk of the Romocoaster, but Eli had much higher highs than Romo.

Last edited by Beenhere4ever; 02-07-2014 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-08-2014, 12:22 PM

21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicare View Post
So with the NFL season over, any predictions for any big trades or free agency pick-ups this off season? Personally I hope the Patriots go for a good WR with experience for Brady, and maybe pick up a good pass rush in the draft.
With Unrestricted Free Agents like Denver WR Eric Decker, Carolina WR Ted Ginn, Indianapolis WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Philadelphia WR Jeremy Maclin, Kansas City WR Dexter McCluster, NY Giants WR Hakeem Nicks, Green Bay TE Jermichael Finley, New Orleans TE Jimmy Graham and Baltimore TE Dennis Pitta available one would think the Pats have some really good options open to them which should seem like a good move for guys like Maclin, McCluster, Nicks and Pitta in terms of who's the QB.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
With Unrestricted Free Agents like Denver WR Eric Decker, Carolina WR Ted Ginn, Indianapolis WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Philadelphia WR Jeremy Maclin, Kansas City WR Dexter McCluster, NY Giants WR Hakeem Nicks, Green Bay TE Jermichael Finley, New Orleans TE Jimmy Graham and Baltimore TE Dennis Pitta available one would think the Pats have some really good options open to them which should seem like a good move for guys like Maclin, McCluster, Nicks and Pitta in terms of who's the QB.
Like shopping at Harrods or something. All pretty, expensive jewels. Gonna be some pay raises coming for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football