U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,877,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
As for Brady, I think he's way more dependent than people think on what is around him.
I agree on Peyton. He has a losing record in the playoffs. He has one ga.e winning playoff/Superbowl drive...just one. It was in the AFC title game at home against the Pats in 2006 when he went to and won the Superbowl.

As for Brady, what does he have around him? He had no one and nothing this year. When Julian Edelman makes 105 catches for more than 1000 yds and is your top receiver, you have to give credit to Brady for making the AFC championship game for the 3rd year in a row.

When has Brady ever had a serious downfield threat besides Moss? Gronk adds a dimension to the offense but has been out more than he's played.

Look at who Brady won with in 2001. Nobody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:10 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,335,663 times
Well, gotta admit, any conversation putting those 4 in there is bound to be interesting. So many fine points that matter. I happen to LOVE Aaron's abilities. And clearly his team is TOTALLY dependent on him. I'm not sure you can plug anyone, no matter how talented, in his place. I've been disappointed since his Super Bowl win. He was my go-guy every year, and something always happened. I think the GB front office is not living up to the traditions of the team. It is an historic franchise, but I see so many mistakes in player personnel. Well, guess next season is another year for the Pack to show if it can rise to the previous heights. In the long run, I think the North is Pack vs. Chicago. Neither the Vikings or the Lions have achieved the heights of those two franchises. I'm not at all convinced the new Vikings coaches will lift the team much. Adrian has been like Rodgers, and his body is showing mortality.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Brees is a good regular season QB. Having said that, he has greatly benefitted from playing more than half his games inside domes (Superdome and Georgia Dome), and others in warm weather stadiums. In a typical 16 game season, 8 games are at the Superdome, one is at the GA Dome, one is in Tampa, and one in Charlotte. That's 10 games in warm and fairly sterile conditions.

As we saw this year, when faced with less than ideal conditions, Brees doesn't do quite so well, and his record on the road in both regular season games and playoff games has been pretty bad.

Brees has had some success, has lots of regular season records, and has a ring, but is he in the same category as Elway, Montana, Brady, or even Peyton Manning? I don't think so.
The road record isn't that bad in actuality and higher than many other teams since 2006.
You are some silly Falcon fanboy if he's not in the same category as Brady, Montana, and Manning.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The road record isn't that bad in actuality and higher than many other teams since 2006.
You are some silly Falcon fanboy if he's not in the same category as Brady, Montana, and Manning.
Drew mainly needs a stopper defense.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:56 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,560,851 times
Drew Brees is an absolute beast. He was my fantasy QB for the last two years, and I won the fantasy superbowl the last two years.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:31 PM

322 posts, read 445,447 times
Drew Brees is definitely a top-notch QB. I don't think that anyone would argue against that. But when you compare him to the greatest of the greats it would be necessary to pick some nits. For instance, if you look at some of the advanced stats for the numbers that Brees puts up against Brady there are some differences that bear mentioning when comparing the 2.

Brees (as all Dome teams do) will always have to deal with the question of how his stats compare indoors as opposed to the outdoors. In that respect, Brees' stats away from the dome...to be fair...were a bit better than I had expected. But let's face it, it's difficult to prepare for the rain, wind & freezing temps which is why I've always given Brady a lot of credit for doing what he does playing in Boston. I know that Brees is very good but I wanted to use some advanced stats to compare him to Brady in a few different categories.

In games played in December, Brady is 45-7 while Brees is 27-25 (predominantly cold weather games). Overall, Brees has played in 7 fewer games than Brady has in their career but still has 43 more INTs than Brady has thrown for. I didn't really know how to control data for how they both perform in cold weather games so I looked into how well each played against the AFC North and NFC North. Brady is a combined 29-6 vs. the AFC & NFC North divisions while Brees is a combined 15-15 against those 2 divisions. On the road Brady sports a .677 winning percentage while Brees is at a .537 winning percentage away from the Superdome. I didn't hash out all of the stats for Peyton Manning in similar fashion but in taking a quick glance they seem to lean toward those of Brady rather than Brees in the categories mentioned above.

Again, this is nitpicking and I think that Brees is a great QB who will certainly be in the HOF someday. But if given the choice, I would still take Brady and most likely Manning over him.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:20 PM

I think Brady v. Brees could be a close pick in a Super Bowl played in a dome. What I wonder, though, is how much Brees is having to compensate for other factors. Is the head coach really all that? I know he makes Brees comfortable, but that shouldn't be the measure of a coach. A coach needs to make a QB uncomfortable sometimes. Then there are other potential defects in the team. My comment (possibly dead wrong) is that if Brees gets home field throughout the playoffs, I like him to get to the Super Bowl. Then he has to play away. That's when it becomes hard to pick. You have to rake over every aspect of both teams. But that means one thing. Anything that takes away top seed from New Orleans becomes a reason to drop their rating. It makes them somewhat dependent on other NFC teams.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Drew Brees is an absolute beast. He was my fantasy QB for the last two years, and I won the fantasy superbowl the last two years.
I won mine two straight years (2011 and 2012) with Big Ben.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Love Big Ben!!! I can't really think of a QB who I'd trade for him. Win or lose, he's a MAN!

Old 02-15-2014, 08:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,877,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
And you're an idiot because I am not a Falcons fan. I'm from New England and a Patriots fan. Care to compare Brees to Brady? Nope...didn't think so.

Time for your nap now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or