U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,344,492 times

Advertisements

Just looked at Drew Brees for a comparison with Peyton. Brees had 4 fewer completions than Peyton. But Brees had 37 sacks. Take away those sacks and it is DEAD certain Brees eclipses whatever Peyton did. Not that Brees, being in the NFC, had a ghost of a chance to be in the Super Bowl. But clearly if you consider the sack factor, he was more prolific than Peyton. And way more than Tom Brady. The main reason I think Drew and his team aren't a better team than Denver is the simple fact that the offensive line couldn't stop rushes and sacks. In the draft and free agency, I assume their GM will be fishing for offensive line stoppers. Brees can be a killer, but he has to be on his feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:33 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,801,371 times
I remember when he was at Purdue. He had an AMAZING passing game and his offensive line protected him well enough. I remember when my parents, who went to Northwestern U, watched the NU vs. Purdue game and Brees threw for a 99 yard passing touchdown (50 yards pass, 49 yards run, or something like that). It was ELECTRIC!

He's also a great guy, a good human being.

Back to particulars ... when he had an awesome offensive line to count on, he was unstoppable, but the final year the seniors graduated and he was left with some rookies on the line. It was then he had to adapt, and he did. He ran a lot more. More slides, more QB sneaks, more bailing and just running it, till the rookies could get trained up. So, personally, I think the offensive line needs to get meaner and stronger to protect him, as he probably is the same age as me, and getting slower. Heck I know I'm getting slower LOL

Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,555,278 times
Yes, Brees is a great QB, no doubt about that. Maybe they will shore up the OL in the offseason and get him some serious protection. He can torch any team when he has enough time and protection to work.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:23 AM

16,531 posts, read 20,991,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

He's also a great guy, a good human being.

When Breeze was signed by the Saints organization, he immediately got involved with the Katrina situation in a big way. And his efforts caught the attention of the family of one of the top 5 players in NFL history.

IIRC, here was the quote from USA Today when Breeze was approaching the NFL record with most consecutive games with a touchdown pass.--" You are a role model for today's youth, a family man, and a humanitarian who cares for community first. You're a great quarterback and even a better man. My Dad always said that records are made to be broken and I know for a fact that he would be proud of you for breaking his. Dad always held those ideals before any records set on a football field."

"Our family will be rooting for you this Sunday!"

The quote was part of a letter sent to USA Today. It was sent by Joseph Unitas, son of NFL icon Johnny Unitas.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,890,609 times
Brees is a good regular season QB. Having said that, he has greatly benefitted from playing more than half his games inside domes (Superdome and Georgia Dome), and others in warm weather stadiums. In a typical 16 game season, 8 games are at the Superdome, one is at the GA Dome, one is in Tampa, and one in Charlotte. That's 10 games in warm and fairly sterile conditions.

As we saw this year, when faced with less than ideal conditions, Brees doesn't do quite so well, and his record on the road in both regular season games and playoff games has been pretty bad.

Brees has had some success, has lots of regular season records, and has a ring, but is he in the same category as Elway, Montana, Brady, or even Peyton Manning? I don't think so.

Last edited by neil0311; 02-09-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,890,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
He can torch any team when he has enough time and protection to work.
Unless he's playing on the road, outdoors, in the cold or bad weather.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,862,006 times
OP, while it is true that we saw what was an anomaly in Brees being sacked 37 times this year (previous high was 27 back in 2007), it is unrealistic to expect him to match Peyton year in and year out in terms of sacks. Brees does have the potential to match Peyton and has in some years, but Peyton is probably the greatest ever at avoiding sacks.

If you do the math and subtract say 20 sacks from Brees' total (which would put him at 17 and would be the least number of sacks for Brees since 2008 and would be his 3rd lowest ever), his ypa was 7.9 vs. 8.3 for Peyton, he would still fall short of the mark Peyton set this year and Brees set back in 2011. You could probably argue that maybe he also adds another 100-150 yards by completing those extra 20 passes (keeping drives alive, leading to an extra 10-20 attempts). In that case, it could put him very close to the 5,477 mark. But I do not see it as DEAD certain Brees eclipses Pyeton's numbers. I don't think he would come close to the 55 TDs. And don't forget, Peyton did not play at all in the second half of the Week 17 game. And I remember him not playing in the 4th quarter of at least one game this year.

As far as what separates the teams as a whole in terms of winning, keep in mind that the Saints had the 4th ranked defense both in terms of Points allowed and Yards allowed. While the Broncos were ranked 22nd in Points allowed and 19 in Yards allowed.

The biggest argument for Brees would probably be the teams he had to face this year. Seattle, San Fran, Carolina (twice), and Arizona. All four defenses are top 7 in both Points allowed and Yards allowed. Peyton did not see any defenses nearly as good as what Brees saw. Peyton did have to play in the elements a little more than Brees obviously.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:42 AM

513 posts, read 574,728 times
4 fewer completions? I am assuming you are just going by this year? Are completions the only stat that matters? All of Mannings extra td's are irrelevant?

Where is this thread going anyway? Are you saying he is as good as Manning and "way" better than Tom Brady? Because that is just ridiculous.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:22 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,344,492 times
Seems like New Orleans beat Philly not in a dome. And Peyton lost to Indy inside. There are so many ways you can argue this. My point is that people are putting Peyton way higher than he should be. If you take the time TV analysts don't take, there's more gray areas than one would think. As for Brady, I think he's way more dependent than people think on what is around him.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 PM

513 posts, read 574,728 times
Brady basically had squat around him this year. His best weapon this year was Julian Edelman, really think about that for a second. I don't just follow what tv analysts say either.

IMO, it is Brady>Manning>Rodgers>Brees, and Rodgers is much closer to Brady/Manning than Brees is to Rodgers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or