U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,835,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I would not and it has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. It's the attention that he will get and the distraction that it's going to cause that would concern me. I want, at the end of the day, for my team to go to the Super Bowl and win. If a person becomes a focal point and the players have to constantly answer questions about a guy who likely won't even start for my team, then I think there is a problem. To me I am against that type of situation. It's the same reason why I wouldn't want Tim Tebow on my team.
Kinda like when Michael Jordan played baseball for the Barons. Its a media circus and takes away from all the other players who deserve the spotlight. This draft will be about whether are not Sams gets pick. We will have to see him on camera on draft day, hey they may even invite him to New York to sit near the stage. And dont even let Pam Oliver & Erin Andrews get anywhere near any of Sams future teammate, we all know what question they will ask that a male reporter would never ask.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:36 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,658,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Actually I do have those concerns which is why I most of the time I don't undress in locker rooms and if I do have to I don't take off all my clothes. Ask the average woman if she would be comfortable undressing in front of a locker room full of men. That would be the context.

You may not understand that because perhaps, that isn't what makes you uncomfortable or perhaps you don't mind people of the same sex seeing you, but for myself and others, it can be a concern. There was a person on here, who has a eerily similar position on this topic as you, last year that admitted that he knows that gay men go to locker rooms to check out other men. I think that confirms any concerns.

It doesn't matter if it's their full time job, you are minimizing the point but what you said doesn't change the fact that it still will happen. If I played sports and part of my function would be to take showers in the same room as women, I would probably be thinking about that a lot and look forward to it. There's a good chance that if given the opportunity I would probably try to see what I can. It's human nature. You can control your actions, but you don't suppress attraction to the opposite .... err...to whatever you are attracted to.
If it's a concern of yours, then do what you're doing and don't undress. I personally don't undress in public places either or take public showers. It's not because I'm afraid some gay dude might be checking me out though, it's just because I don't feel comfortable walking around completely naked in public. Some people seem to be all about it though in the gyms I've been to.

Bottom line is that he needs to remain professional and not make anybody feel uncomfortable (no eye raping a fellow teammate in the locker room for example).

Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,650,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
If it's a concern of yours, then do what you're doing and don't undress. I personally don't undress in public places either or take public showers. It's not because I'm afraid some gay dude might be checking me out though, it's just because I don't feel comfortable walking around completely naked in public. Some people seem to be all about it though in the gyms I've been to.

Bottom line is that he needs to remain professional and not make anybody feel uncomfortable (no eye raping a fellow teammate in the locker room for example).
It's not just about being uncomfortable with gays watching but it plays a factor.

I mean honestly why would I want to undress in front of other men? My wife is probably the only person I would ever be comfortable do that in front of.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 PM

28,502 posts, read 15,458,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
All I know is I will be tuning out of the sports talk shows for a couple of days until all of this blows over.
Good grief - I turn the TV on with the intent on watching the Rockets. Before I change the channel, Duke and UNC women's game is on with a crawler about Ms. Obama calling Sam an inspiration.

This is why ESPN is out - I think I am moving my self-imposed ban out to about a week. Gay people say they want to be treated like normal people - then ESPN attempts to saturate people with the propaganda.

If Sam wants to be treated like everyone else - see you at the draft, and next season. You came out... got it. Don't need coverage equal to Boston Marathon bombings.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 PM

16,528 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Ok, let's try this again. Thread re-opened.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-11-2014 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: adding comments

Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,501,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Kinda like when Michael Jordan played baseball for the Barons. Its a media circus and takes away from all the other players who deserve the spotlight. This draft will be about whether are not Sams gets pick. We will have to see him on camera on draft day, hey they may even invite him to New York to sit near the stage. And dont even let Pam Oliver & Erin Andrews get anywhere near any of Sams future teammate, we all know what question they will ask that a male reporter would never ask.
The sports media is progressive because the culture is progressive. If the culture was conservative then you wouldn't have the sports media championing progressive causes like they do.

So, I don't know what to tell ya. Just don't watch the draft maybe if it bothers you that much.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,194,508 times
Whether we like it or not, we as NFL fans can no longer stick our heads in the sand and hope that the "problem" goes away. It is now officially here. It is no longer a theoretical argument that will happen sometime in the future.
I didn't watch the Super Bowl but that doesn't mean that it wasn't played. Not watching ESPN or some other news show is not going to make the issue go away. Closing threads because you would rather not discuss this topic is not going to make the issue go away.
More than likely. we have all rooted for homosexuals on our team. We just didn't know it. Now, if Sam is drafted, SOME of us are going to have to make the decision of having to root for him or not. The rest of us will have to wait until a member of our team admits his homosexuality. Then it will be our turn to make that decision.
Some members of the Christian religion blindly believe that Tim Tebow is a great quarterback because he knelt on the field and prayed. They REFUSE to see that as an NFL quarterback he stinks because they agree with his religious beliefs.
Initially, people will do the same to Michael Sam. Some people will find absolutely no fault with him while others will claim that he is the worst player in the league. This will be based entirely on his sexual preferences. Eventually, he will be judged on his football talents - and nothing else. The day will come when he will even be cut.
While this issue is a major story now, in a small amount of time, this will be the norm and no one will care any longer. We look back at how foolish it was that blacks weren't allowed in the professional sports leagues. In a few years, this issue will be looked upon as having been foolish also.
Someone earlier posted, rather smart alecky, that since homosexuals were going to be admitted into the NFL, that maybe women will be next. If there is ever a woman capable of playing in the NFL, then that day will arrive also. Will it happen any time soon, probably not, but the day may come.

Michael Sam's father found out the same time that we did of his son's sexual preferences.

If Peyton Manning is a homosexual would Broncos fans still root for him?
If LeSean McCoy is a homosexual would Eagles fans still root for him?
If Russell Wilson is a homosexual would Seahawks fans still root for him?
If a star on your team is a homosexual would you still root for him?

The "problem" is now here. We have to deal with it.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:07 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,435,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
So that this thread doesn't get closed, let's stay on topic.

I'm (possibly naively) going to believe that everyone who posts on this forum is a fan of an NFL team.
Everyone KNOWS that there are gays in football, basketball, baseball, hockey, etc. They just haven't announced themselves to the world. Michael Sam has.
Would you want him on your team? It's just a simple YES or NO answer. Save the pro vs. anti debate for the Philosophy, Religion, or whatever forum.

I would hope that he would be accepted in Philadelphia by both the fans and the other players.
We would KNOW that he has been accepted by the fans when he gets booed for making a hideous play and not for his lifestyle.
Terrell Thomas has what I think is the most accurate take of what Michael Sam will face. You will notice few active players are tweeting support. He won't be harassed by his teammate but he faces something worse, he'll be ignored. He may never be one of the guys and in a team sport such as football that is not good.

NFL might not be ready to accept Sam: Giants’ Thomas | New York Post

Old 02-12-2014, 08:07 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,552,037 times
People don't turn off ESPN thinking the issue will go away, threads aren't closed because of not wanting to discuss the topic either.

People get tired of the media and non-stop hype of the issue, they know it isn't going away. IF people could make sensible statements about an issue, no personal attacks, no dragging religion/politics into it, threads would stay open, period.

We have to deal with it? Why, so what? He is going to be on a team and if he is on my team, great, let him play.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 AM

18,624 posts, read 16,435,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
The sports media is progressive because the culture is progressive. If the culture was conservative then you wouldn't have the sports media championing progressive causes like they do.

So, I don't know what to tell ya. Just don't watch the draft maybe if it bothers you that much.
The sports media is progressive because it is dominated by upper middle class progressives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football